If it ain't one thing, it's another

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If it ain't one thing, it's another

Excuse me. I'm whining. I was just getting the header welded up in pursuit of plan C (Thanks to Better with Boost, who stopped by and lent a hand) when I ran out of Argon. Oh well, I says, I'll just check the fit. Everything sorta fit now, but the header still didn't pull up tight to the head - especially the rear one (remember, this is an inline six). I figured it was hitting on some body part or the front header. I tried a dimple here and a bump there, and FINALLY figured out what was going on. If you look closely at the pic, you'll see a ledge in the block right under each port. The header flange and/or intake manifold flange hits the ledge, keeping the part from bolting tightly to the block. So I've begun some custom machining w/Harbor Freight 4 1/2" mill (might look like a grinder to the untrained eye). As you can see, it seems to be working. I just hope it doesn't weaken the block in some significant area, but I really don't have much choice unless I have a spacer plate machined and put a gasket on each side. If this doesn't get it, that's next. A couple of shots, almost the same.

Wish me luck
    Dan

Re: If it ain't one thing, it's another

Couldn't you just remove metal from the header, instead of the block?
    www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

I looked at that, but the header flange would get pretty narrow if I did that. This seems like the least damaging way to handle it. If I can't grind enough, I'll angle the back of the flanges a bit to increase clearance. It may take some of each.

Thanks for the input
      Dan

Comment

A bigger hammer works most of the time for me
        terry

Comment

Don'tcha just love hot rod parts?

btw, it looks like there's something stuck to the bottom of the intake port! and your head bolt is messed up!
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Every one's a comedian! But actually, this does bring up a thought. Part of the problem is probably that the head has been shaved quite a bit, which would lower the manifolds closer to the deck, It was cut at least 0.060 to start, then they had to mow off a bit more (like, 0.010) to flatten the head before I could install it. I'm not sure that 0.070 would have resolved this, but it sure wouldn't have hurt. Off to the welding shop in the AM, then home to complete my machining job.

Dan

Originally posted by squirrel
            Don'tcha just love hot rod parts?

btw, it looks like there's something stuck to the bottom of the intake port! and your head bolt is messed up!

Comment

Dan ,I think I need a refresher. I thought you got a buick V-8 of some sort (forgot the displacement) and someone was picking up the inliner?

Comment

Do these motors have head alignment dowel in them or are they like the old Stovebolt engines that you have to align them with the headbolts and luck?
                Central TEXAS Sleeper
                USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierGTA
                  Dan ,I think I need a refresher. I thought you got a buick V-8 of some sort (forgot the displacement) and someone was picking up the inliner?
                  I think he has a 322 Nailhead but I don't know about the I6 motor.
                  Central TEXAS Sleeper
                  USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

what a PITA..good luck

Comment

Dan
                      I'm glad I'm not the only one that has luck like that.

Looks like persistance has served you well.

I think if I concentrate hard enough - I can hear it running...
                      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Good luck Dan....Wish I was as close as Luke....I would stop by and assist with my 4 1/2" grinder....err....I mean mill.

Seth
                        200 mph or bust.......

Comment

I can't tell you how many times I've had to modify a brand new part to make it fit. I don't even think twice about it, I just do it.
                          Cognizant Dissident

Comment

These ones have some dowel action, but the old stovebolts (216, 235) don't.

This is the race engine, in the race car. Collecting straight 6 engines is a cheap hobby.
                            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by std
                              I can't tell you how many times I've had to modify a brand new part to make it fit. I don't even think twice about it, I just do it.
                              N eeds
                              E xtra
                              W ork

Comment

Working...
                              X