Screaming Detroit's new project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screaming Detroit's new project

I saw an ad on line for a '69 Torino GT and let SD (Greg) know about it. He was interested, so I called and got directions. We left immediately and traveled to Troy NY, outside of Albany. We were pretty pleased with what we found. Aside from a failed attempt at some backyard bodywork, it is quite undisturbed. It is supposed to run good but we didn't hear it run. (we didn't care about that)Despite how it looks, it's quite solid underneath. The interior isn't bad, just needs a carpet and a headliner to be pretty nice. The car has a 351W, C-4, 9" and p/s, but it's main purpose in life will be to house a 429 that Greg has been hanging on to. Now he has one to match my '68, which is red white stripes.

It pays to be the early bird. The car was listed that morning, we were first to see it, and Greg paid $850 on a $1200 asking price. When we picked it up last night, he said he'd quite a few calls on it. I'm sure it would have sold by the weekend. Cars like this don't turn up often around here, and if they do they have ridiculous prices. This same car sold through the same on line magazine 3 years ago for $2500. This guy was willing to take a loss on it because he just bought a '67 Fairlane, and needed to unload the Torino.

Sunday we will have it running, with a little more brake pedal, and will get some 'action' shots.

VTJUNK

picking it up

night shots on the way home

Re: Screaming Detroit's new project

SSSSSSSSSSSWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTT!!!!!!!!
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

missed a chance at a nice one like that about 7 yrs ago....5K asking price....was a grand short.....still regret that

Comment

Andy & Greg -
        Nice Score! Now if you just had a Y-Block for it..... (Love them old engines)

Dan

Comment

Had a little time to mess around with the car last night. Got the drivers door to work (stuck latch) pulled the glove box door off to get the keys and registration which were locked inside, found the build sheet still under the front seat springs, destroyed a bees nest inside the fender, put a battery in it to see what works (everything works, radio, heater motor, wipers, lights) checked all the fluids, put some gas in it, and started it. It seems to run okay.

Pulled all the parts out of the trunk and took stock of what's there and what isn't. Bonus, All of the aluminum trim on the taillight panel is in excellent condition. It will be Sunday before we can get to the brakes and try to yard drive it.

Comment

Nice.

Hadda buddies '69 Cyclone GT living in my back yard for a couple years. Similar bodystyle to this...I thought it was butt ugly when he first left it in my yard, but as it sat there waiting for him to gather parts, the shape grew on me and now I'm looking forward to riding in the car when he finishes it.

Comment

Well, it's a runner. Sunday we got the brakes working, (just needed the bleeders cracked loose and bled out) put a good battery in it, fixed a bat. cable, put some gas in it, and fired it up. It runs very well. It lays rubber through first at will, and into second pretty good if you stay in it. We would have shot some video, but we attracted some unwanted attention, and had to put it away. At one point a guy in a Subaru was coming after me trying to get a plate number, but there wasn't even a plate on the car. I swung around and blasted by him going the other way. (this is out on a back country road, so don't think I was driving through traffic in town)

Comment

how exciting to get it running and driving with that little effort.

nicely done!

what a great score!
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

A guy in a subaru in Vermont...impossible..ha!

Neat that you're already flogging it.

Brian
                  That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

One day away from running.....You have got to love that...

I had a similar experience recently....but my "test" run was 900 miles....Awesome Car and good work.

Keep us posted.

Seth
                    200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                      A guy in a subaru in Vermont...impossible..ha!
                      HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

That's a great score.

Comment

Originally posted by VTJUNK
                        . At one point a guy in a Subaru was coming after me trying to get a plate number, but there wasn't even a plate on the car. I swung around and blasted by him going the other way. (this is out on a back country road, so don't think I was driving through traffic in town)

What a douche....some people need a good smack

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY
                          Originally posted by VTJUNK
                          . At one point a guy in a Subaru was coming after me trying to get a plate number, but there wasn't even a plate on the car. I swung around and blasted by him going the other way. (this is out on a back country road, so don't think I was driving through traffic in town)

What a douche....some people need a good smack
                          He probably would have got some if he stopped and ran his trap
                          Original Carjunkie TV Member

Comment

Nice! I nearly bought a '69 GT390 for $1600 years ago and still kinda wish I had. Cool that you got it driving but it'll be sooo much better with the 429!

Comment

Found a '68 Torino in a junkyard that had a factory full quarter installed, but not very well done. It should come back off pretty easily. You can't buy full quarters for these cars, so it was a good find. There was also lots of good trim, and a set of bucket seats for my own '68 Torino.

Comment

Working...
                              X