ARRGGHHH!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ARRGGHHH!!!

On turning the engine over - A major car builder (Steve - can't remember his last name) at the track said to be sure to attempt any rotating of a seized motor with the flywheel - if you don't have one, get one. He builds LOTS of old motors and he says that it's necessary as it's the only way to get enough moment arm (my term, not his) to get the job done w/o screwing up parts. BTW - he built and drives a Crosley-bodied hand-built rod w/Buick straight 8. I think it's been in mags and is WAY cool. He drives it pretty much daily. He's a great guy and has, and some of the guys say, MAD skills.

Min - I'll buzz you tomorrow (Monday) after I go to the gym.

Dan

Originally posted by milner351
    Perseverance at it's finest Dan.

Sorry about the dent in your wallet though - that's a bummer!

I have seen more than a few cars at Milan with 2x10s or the like under the wheels to make the transition down the ramps possible with low vehicles.... I'm sure your great mind will devise something that will prevent this from ever happening again.

Total major bummer.

Do tell what the oil pressure issue was?

Any luck in getting that 292 to turn over yet? I sprayed more pbblaster on the 428 yesterday....

Comment

Roger that Dan - and thanks for the tip -- I have a couple flexplates for the CJ - I'll keep letting the kroil / pbblaster do it's thing - then pull the shortblock back off the stand to install the flex plate -- come to think of it - using a pry bar in one of the flexplate teeth - levered off one of the engine stand fixture bolts is a good way to turn an engine over precisely -- we'll see how it works.

I can actually see the penetrant working on the lifters - they are cleaner now and don't appear rusty - I think most of the brown is some sort of rust preventative -- at least I hope so. The real question will be how much grinding will be required on the deck face to remove the rust so a headgasket can seal.....
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

For some reason, this unit came with no instructions, so I had to guess.
        I am noticing this more and more in the automotive aftermarket, very frustrating.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
          So October is back in the sites.
          I always say, "Set your sights high ..
          .. but minimize your expectations to avoid dissapointment.

Comment

A quote from Ben Franklin - "Aim for more than you can do, then fail gloriously". Kind of the same.

Dan

Originally posted by White Monster
            So October is back in the sites.
            I always say, "Set your sites high ..
            .. but minimize your expectations to avoid dissapointment.

Comment

More bad news. I got an E-mail from Jegs today, and the single header is no longer available. So I called Hooker and they were useless - some BS about how they couldn't manufacture 1/2 a set of headers. WTF!!!! So I'll try to straighten what I have - I have some ideas. Worst case, I'll send 'em to my friend in MI who is a header builder and have him replace the squished bends.

The good news - I got the car off the trailer and figured out a way to make that work. I ran 2x12's down each side, then had to add an extra piece of lumber to pick the car up just as it crowns over onto the ramp - pics to follow. It worked perfectly. It's still really close and I may have to space the front springs up a bit to keep everything off the track.

Dan

Comment

More bad news. I got an E-mail from Jegs today, and the single header is no longer available. So I called Hooker and they were useless - some BS about how they couldn't manufacture 1/2 a set of headers. WTF!!!! So I'll try to straighten what I have - I have some ideas. Worst case, I'll send 'em to my friend in MI who is a header builder and have him replace the squished bends.

The good news - I got the car off the trailer and figured out a way to make that work. I ran 2x12's down each side, then had to add an extra piece of lumber to pick the car up just as it crowns over onto the ramp - pics to follow. It worked perfectly. It's still really close and I may have to space the front springs up a bit to keep everything off the track.

Dan

can you get a set of taller tires for the front just for on and off the trailer? or am I way off base here

Comment

Total major bummer. I hope you can do something with the header tubes. What a PITA.
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I actually have some taller tires (OEMs) but they don't seem to gain me much. I normally put a block between the lower control arm and the frame, and that gains quite a bit. The blocks (just a piece of 2x4) could be a bit taller, so I think I'll make some new blocks out of hard wood, and maybe like 5" high so I can maximize trailer clearance. But I can't race with that in there I think I cut too much from the springs (1 1/2 coils), so I'm thinking of installing a set of those 1" rubber risers under the springs to get back a bit of that. Eventually, I think I'll go with an air bag front end, but that's out of the budget for now.

Dan

Originally posted by JOES66FURY

Dan

can you get a set of taller tires for the front just for on and off the trailer? or am I way off base here

Comment

Working...
                    X