Preparing and selling the 64 Caddy de Ville convertible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preparing and selling the 64 Caddy de Ville convertible

I've been working on this thing on and off for years. A co-worker had it for years and sold it to his brother, who is my boss. Gregg, the current owner, is a carjunkie as any of us. He doesn't own a newer car. He owns 7 old cars ( 57 Nash Met coupe, 58 Nash Met convert, 58 Caddy Coupe, 64 Caddy Convert, 76 Eldo convert, 56 Bentley S1, and a 61 Facel Vega) drives them as dailies, great thing about living in LA. His current daily driver is an all black 76 Eldo convert he's owned since 1980. Yes, he drives the one car in his fleet that gets the worst mileage everyday.

I'll get pics of the whole car later.

This car doesn't like to drive on today's crappy Cali blend gas, so I suggested we replace the tiny Rochester 4 Jet carb with an Edelbrock because it fits right onto the factory intake without mods. I did this awhile back on the 58 Caddy with great results, so here we go again.

Thanks to STD, I got this Edelbrock carb for near nothing. It's a #1407, which is a 750. I wanted a 600, but this might not be too big.

Here's the engine as it sits now. The only mods to the factory 429 have been a 100 amp one wire alternator and a Pertronix unit.

When I took the Edelbrock apart to clean it up; I noticed the lid had been damaged and the metering rod lid screw hole on the right had been drilled out and retapped.

I had this lid lying around from some parts carbs I've had. It's the only good part of the last 600 I found. The rest of it looked like it was at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean for a decade. It also had a choke blade.

The inside of the 750 STD gave me was pretty spotless and I gave it a good washing out with carb cleaner.

Here's the 750 all back together and ready to go on the Caddy replacing the 4 Jet.

Here's where I came screeching to a halt..... The four hole intake manifold primary side holes are too small for the big primary throttle blades of the 750..BUMMER!!! You can see the difference in the size of the primary throttle blades.

Looks like I need to continue looking for a 600.. Anyone wanna trade for a 750?
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Re: 64 Caddy de Ville convertible

Scott....is the 750 in good shape, does it have an electric choke and does it work well...IF SO.....I will trade my like new 600 for the 750

Comment

I didn't realize it was a 750 when I sent it to you. I was told it was a 600. Hopefully you can make a trade.

I like your carb stand.
      Cognizant Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY
        Scott....is the 750 in good shape, does it have an electric choke and does it work well...IF SO.....I will trade my like new 600 for the 750
        Yes, it is in good shape. No it doesn't have an electric choke, see the pictures. I'm not exactly sure how well it runs as it as yet hasn't been on a motor.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Instead of trading carbs - why not run an adaptor?

There are adaptors to put a "square flange" carb on a "spread bore" intake.... it raises the carb a bit - but- I don't think enough to make hood clearance an issue on this car.
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Show me one that fits the old small pattern intake.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

like this?

not sure if it's exactly what you need, but it's the right idea.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I think i have one like that in the garage....I'll check

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                  like this?

not sure if it's exactly what you need, but it's the right idea.

Not sure. It's the intake bolt pattern that is the problem. If you look at the the Edelbrock carb it has two sets of bolt holes on the base plate. The old Rochester 4 jet intakes use the inner bolt holes and later Holley square bore intakes use the outers..

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Old Carters also use the small pattern aswell.
                    Central TEXAS Sleeper
                    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

That adapter I linked to lets you bolt the adapter to the intake with the small pattern and bolt the carb to the adapter with the large pattern.

My fabulous web page

Comment

The one I have in the garage is not threaded so it wont help....sorry

Comment

They aren't threaded, you have to put the bolts in from the bottom to attach the carb to. The holes are hex shaped to hold the bolt heads in place.
                          My fabulous web page

Comment

Nice find Squirrel - that's what I was talking about - I used to sell a ton of those when I worked in an auto parts store in the 80's.
                            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I had a simular one of those holding my Holley Street Avenger to my 468 Buick then used the capscrews holding it to the intake. It was spreadbore to square bore though. Buick Nailheads use the small pattern Carters if you can find one.
                              Central TEXAS Sleeper
                              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Working...
                              X