Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 1961 Olds 88 2 Dr Sedan sneak preview

That looks like a killer parts store.

Why do you want to raise the rear? I think it sits pretty right now.

Seth
    200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Originally posted by fahrenschnell
      That looks like a killer parts store.

Why do you want to raise the rear? I think it sits pretty right now.

Seth
      The rear almost drags when i pull up on my curb or when I have a load of people in the car. All the springs are shot on the car. I also want to pull a little trailer with it because it already has a bitchin hitch on it(and i have the trailer). Air shocks are available for 180.00, the springs are only 95.00 delivered. According to my calculations it will only raise it 2.5 inches at the most. The part # is Moog CC-611 which is a HD spring for quite a few GM full size cars. On another note, I decided to pull out the heater and clean it out since nothing is working. Looks like someone installed a junkyard heatercore and never hooked it up. Man, heaters don't get much simpler than this. So far the core isn't leaking on a static check. I'll pressure test it to 16 lbs tomorrow.

Comment

Found a pretty decent paint match at the chain auto parts store, got everything cleaned a painted and the heater core doesn't leak. Now I have to get the heater blower motor working and cleaned out. I have to remove the hood hinge to remove it if needed. So far I'm into this job 7.00. I just realized this is the first part I've cleaned and painted besides the floor,I may have started something...

Comment

Once you start cleaning up and painting parts you can't stop.... :P

Ask me how I know.

Seth
          200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Cleaned up stuff make the car so much more enjoyable to work on. That car sits right now. I hope the springs don't change it too much. Do they have something sismilar in length with a higher spring rate?

Comment

Ask me how I know.

Seth

It may turn into this. http://homepages.together.net/~manycj/entrance.htm (the 59 Olds project)
              Tom
              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by 62-impala-ss
                Cleaned up stuff make the car so much more enjoyable to work on. That car sits right now. I hope the springs don't change it too much. Do they have something similar in length with a higher spring rate?
                I've been doing extensive research on springs and their specs and have copied a bunch of information. I didn't think to just go to a higher rate spring with the same load height. I'll will have to look at the numbers again. I was going to go with 235/70 14 tires from Summit, that would probably lift it a little so maybe I will wait on the springs until I check out all the spring specs.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskinhano

Ask me how I know.

Seth

It may turn into this. http://homepages.together.net/~manycj/entrance.htm (the 59 Olds project)
                  Thanks,I just got sidetracked for about a half hour on that link. I don't think I'll go that far, I did that on the Roadrunner, you need to have alot of money to do that kind of work . Maybe someday, if I find out this car has the Police package then I might rethink the restoration.

Comment

I thought you'd enjoy that.
                    Tom
                    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

The heater motor checks good and the switch works, but only on high. Now I have to clean up the firewall and make some gaskets. Heres the unit ready to install. Also a view of the engine bay you don't often see, now I know why my generator light is on (but still charges the battery) the blue thing is an inline water heater that was on the car when I got it.

Comment

Sounds like the blower motor resistor pack has taken a dump - pretty common on old GMs. Look for an electrical connector on the plenum - they put it there so the air from the blower motor will cool it. It will be held in with 2 sheet metal screws (at least they were on Buicks). Unscrew it and check for resistance to the plenum sheet metal, which is ground for the motor. One way should yield a value (I don't know the numbers), another way a higher value. The highest value is low speed, the lower value is medium speed. High speed does not use the resistor, which is why it still works. You're probably going to find one or more of the circuits to be open (infinite resistance). Well, there's yer problem! Sometimes you can see where the resistor coils are burned thru, making the troubleshooting a no-brainer. What I'm saying is it likely isn't the switch at all and is easier and cheaper. GM used the same resistor pack for like a century so you should be able to pick one up at your local parts store no sweat. Easy fix - I've done MANY of 'em.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
                          Sounds like the blower motor resistor pack has taken a dump - pretty common on old GMs. Look for an electrical connector on the plenum - they put it there so the air from the blower motor will cool it. It will be held in with 2 sheet metal screws (at least they were on Buicks). Unscrew it and check for resistance to the plenum sheet metal, which is ground for the motor. One way should yield a value (I don't know the numbers), another way a higher value. The highest value is low speed, the lower value is medium speed. High speed does not use the resistor, which is why it still works. You're probably going to find one or more of the circuits to be open (infinite resistance). Well, there's yer problem! Sometimes you can see where the resistor coils are burned thru, making the troubleshooting a no-brainer. What I'm saying is it likely isn't the switch at all and is easier and cheaper. GM used the same resistor pack for like a century so you should be able to pick one up at your local parts store no sweat. Easy fix - I've done MANY of 'em.

Dan
                          +1 When the switches fail they usually stop working on high speed.

Comment

Thanks Dan, are you talking about this red connector? It may be OK since I tested the motor without that being hooked up. I first ran a hot from the battery, then I ran the motor wire, turned on the key and switch. The wires weren't hooked to the resistor when i tested it.

Comment

That's the one Dan's talking about.
                              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

That's the one. The way you tested it was to bypass the resistor pack so you could tell that the motor was OK but couldn't tell about the resistor. So yeah - there should be a connector floating around somewhere near this connector - check it for power, get a good resistor pack, and hook everything up. Sounds like the resistors failed and somebody wired around it to keep on going - an OK emergency fix but we can do better. Worse case you'll have to make a harness following the factory schematic.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X