1961 Olds 88 2 Dr Sedan sneak preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 1961 Olds 88 2 Dr Sedan sneak preview

After hooking everything up I have all 3 speeds of the blower. I pack ratted this piece of rubber since my Navy days, it's MIL Spec'ed even (dated 1981) so I made a gasket out of it. I used 3M strip calk on the air plenum box. Now I need to lube and hook up 3 cables, dig out some heater hose, and try to salvage the old defroster hoses, original cloth ones.

Comment

I have heat and defrosters for 7.00 out of pocket, the rest of the materials were in stock. I still have some issues with cables and vacuum lines but I can operate everything manually within reach for now. Next time I pull the front seat out I will do some work under the dash. Takes awhile to get this beast up to temp with that AC 4 core radiator, I would love to put this radiator in my Roadrunner but it only has room for a 22". (thats another project I need to deal with) On the air box i used a flat black base with a satin clear topcoat.

Comment

Cool (or actually, HOT). Glad we were able to steer you right on the blower controls. This is a great project.

Dan

Comment

I'm going to drive it to work tonight and put it to the test. I have a huge 7 mile one way commute so I may have to let it warm up first.

Comment

This project just keeps getting more interesting - thanks for saving this thing from the junkyard.... proof that an ignorant mans trash can be a resourcefull mans sweet ride!
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
              This project just keeps getting more interesting - thanks for saving this thing from the junkyard.... proof that an ignorant mans trash can be a resourcefull mans sweet ride!

I totally agree it also must be one the best "budgeted build/score" on a classic ride that I have every seen......it is one of the things I look forward to on this site..........
              That steely eyed look I had behind the wheel was me trying see..........

Comment

Originally posted by 383S-10
                Originally posted by milner351

I totally agree it also must be one the best "budgeted build/score" on a classic ride that I have every seen......it is one of the things I look forward to on this site..........

1+ This project is one of the first things I check when I get home for work.
                Tom
                Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Me too.....I dig it.

Seth
                  200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Me three, this is a great thread! For us rust-belters, it's great to watch because you don't have to worry about rust -- you can already start pouring energy and resources into more fun things.

Comment

Thanks for the support, I'm really enjoying this car myself. Well it actually got down to 30 tonight so I warmed it up for about 15 minutes for the long 10 minute drive home. It got warm but not hot.It did defrost the windshied though and knocked off the chill. I don't think the vacuum operated heater control valve is opening all the way or is restricted. So I will remove it and install an elbow and see what happens. I know the hole in it was small when i hooked the hose to it. Maybe the passage is partially plugged. I also need to fix the themostat housing leak but I know the bolts are going to break off so I holding off on that. I guess I can always try the old east coast cardboard in front of the radiator trick.

Comment

Originally posted by NAS Backyard
                        ...So I got it in the shop and tried out my new Aluminum Racing Jack on it (2 ton Harbor Freight 27 mo. warranty 207.00 out the door)
                        Check the retaining clips on your jack.

I bought a 'ProXone' aluminum jack on sale at Checker about 2yrs ago... the retaining c-clips on the mechanism inside worked their way off the ends of the pins they were on ... impossible to see unless you flip it over and are looking for it, as its covered by the side plate/jack frame.

It let go with my pickup about 12" off the ground, when I went to get the jackstands.

Good thing I wasn't under it when it did.

Comment

Thanks for the tip on the jack. Thought i'd do a cosmetic makeover on the wheels. I really need some bigger tires, hopefully some 225/70-14's someday. these are mismatched rollers that have decent tread. I can't get the heater to get hot so I will be removing the intake so I can remove the heater control valve, I think it's stuck.

Comment

Certainly gives the car a different look, in my opinion. I think I could've gone either way, white or black, with the wheels. Regardless, it still looks great!

Comment

I would lean to the white on this one.......reminds of those early "hot rod" themed comic books how all the cars in them had plain steelies and/or dogdish caps on them.
                              That steely eyed look I had behind the wheel was me trying see..........

Comment

All the 61 Olds had body colored wheels, one of these are really bent but it doesn't seem to effect the drivability. 2 are white and 2 are still black. I'll get it outside and take a look at it after I fix the heater control valve.

Comment

Working...
                                X