1961 Olds 88 2 Dr Sedan sneak preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 1961 Olds 88 2 Dr Sedan sneak preview

Pulled off the intake manifold tonight to remove the non working heater control valve and broke the frozen distributor loose. Put in a bypass pipe, had to "re-machine" the aluminum thermostat housing and also checked the thermostat . Set the timing, Got it all back together and took it for a midnight test drive down to the local Masonic Lodge. The heater gets hot , but not hot,hot but good enough for around here. I also got the passing gear to work. This old car runs like hell!

I kind of like the white wheels, this car also had a light blue roof originally

Intake manifold gaskets ARE reusable, at least metal ones

Hand milling

thermostats are reusable also

pays to save gaskets,modified to work

Notice, no front doors or windows on the Masonic lodge

Comment

Nice work man. I like you're custom machining work but I really like the thermostat in the pot of boiling water, lol.

The spotlights are bitchin'.

Comment

You know this qualifies as a epic resto...... ;D
        That steely eyed look I had behind the wheel was me trying see..........

Comment

So....when are you going to install dual exhaust and detail the motor *LOL* I bet it would run really well with the duals though. BTW, you do realize you've created a monster here?
          Tom
          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

You know, I thought about detailing the engine....... for about 10 seconds. Didn't you know that paint traps heat? ;D In a world of 4 barrels and dual exhaust I think I'll keep whats still working for now. This is a total lesson in frugality, out of nessessity. The Roadrunner restoration was the funded buy selling my 53 Suburban, giving me plenty of cash to work with, this car is the "working under the table for cash car"(sell parts to buy parts).

Comment

I don't think I've posted on this thread before, but it has definately been one of my favorite project cars. Just has the right theme.
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

NAS - that's the way I fund all my projects - sell stuff, do work on the side, etc.... probably why they take so long!
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by NAS Backyard
                  You know, I thought about detailing the engine....... for about 10 seconds. Didn't you know that paint traps heat? ;D In a world of 4 barrels and dual exhaust I think I'll keep whats still working for now. This is a total lesson in frugality, out of nessessity. The Roadrunner restoration was the funded buy selling my 53 Suburban, giving me plenty of cash to work with, this car is the "working under the table for cash car"(sell parts to buy parts).

Don't ya know I'm living vicariously through your thread? It's easy to spend some one else money! I haven't had the time or space in the last couple of years to work on my 66 Mustang and last year's house fire hasn't helped. Hopefully 09 will be better. What's nice with your project is that you've been doing really nice work very cheaply, something a lot of members here can relate to.
                  Tom
                  Overdrive is overrated

Comment

i like to see someone else going down the same road.as me..more with less....doing what you can on a dime or less to get a decent fun car....it just proves that you dont have to spend big money in this hobby to enjoy it.......a little time and elbow grease are the key. i am into my car now for about 4500 bucks spent over the last 3 years.....i think you got way less in yours and you have a way coole ride.....keep up the ggod work and thanks for allowing us to follow along....i look forwards to seeing updates on this car...

Comment

Who needs to buy mags? 3 different wheels for under 10.00 worth of cheap spray bombs. I never tried the stock beauty rings before because I didn't really care for them. They look OK, maybe I'll paint the trim white instead of black. This is what I used to paint the wheels, a piece of thin sheet metal, worked OK. Tried to tape them but it wouldn't stick and took too long.

After looking at all the combos it's hard to decide. I'll just keep fooling around with them until I make up my mind. Hey, I haven't tried whitewall tires yet!

Comment

I like this one, but looks like a ton of work.

Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I think it looks best with the white rims and poverty caps only. Those trim rings are kinda funky.....

Comment

2 diff looks...looks classic with the rings....add white walls and you got a classy look......poverty caps and no rings gives it a bit of an agressive look

Comment

I like it without the rings

But it only takes less than 5 mins. to R&R them

Comment

I agree, better with out the rings. Looking good!
                                Tom
                                Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Working...
                                X