1961 Olds 88 2 Dr Sedan sneak preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 1961 Olds 88 2 Dr Sedan sneak preview

Only a true car guy would call cleaning the house and shop "detailing". I love it!!
    Awesome car!!

Comment

I thought I was done for the evening but I decided to epoxy on the metal piece and punch out the holes bigger.I used a 5 min. epoxy by Loctite that I had in stock, comes in a 2 part scringe. The metal hole punches sure come in handy for stuff like this also. I think I could use a few more welding clamps too. I'm going to tape off where I epoxied and put another coat over the area to "float" out everything because the piece was pretty rough before I used the rustbullet on it.

61 Olds 88, 69 Plymouth Roadrunner, 68 Pontiac Firebird, 95 Buick Roadmaster LT1

Comment

Those are called "chassis punches" - we used 'em at EPA mostly to punch holes in electronics chassis (the box you put electronics in) hence the name. Also available in square and other shapes, if you have the coin. VERY useful. A little education for the young'uns.

Dan

Comment

They're also pretty useful as knock out punches ;)
          I have a set from my sheet metal days.
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I got my seam "floated out" with epoxy. I sanded it smooth using this grinder, then I taped it off and spread it on with a popsicle stick. I had this primer sealer that I tinted green for another project that I dug out of my storage shed. I will used it to prime the panels with. I found the economy size epoxy at Lowes but it was 15.00, but well worth it for what it does. I have enought to do the other 3 panels.

61 Olds 88, 69 Plymouth Roadrunner, 68 Pontiac Firebird, 95 Buick Roadmaster LT1

Comment

Got a little side tracked on the door panel project but scored a few parts in the process. My buddy Bret showed up from Idaho to pick up another load of parts. He had the wrecking yard after me and now Charlie has it. Anyway, he let me load up on some parts that were his and I bought an engine for the Olds from Charlie. It's a 63 394 10.25 :1 comp. 330HP 4 barrel engine core, actually the heads were done at one time so I think I could use them with a clean up, seals and lap job. I also got a steering column with what I think is a good working turn signal switch that I need. And theres also a windshield that will fit my car that Brets going to give me when he gets the glass. I also got to rummage through several barrels of stainless trim to find so stuff to sell. Got all my other stuff out of the way so Sunday I will get back on the door panels. Here are some pics of the adventure.
              All this glass is from the 30's thru the 70's

Comment

Idaho and Montana are ripe with places to find cool projects. Nice score on the 394.
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Some dirty bird pooped on your new engine. Hope it didn't trickle in and mess anything up. That glass is priceless.

Dan

Comment

I got my door panel almost done today. It has been quite the experiment. I used a stone spatter paint to give the top and center a little texture. I then used the two tones of blue I used on the trim and heater box. I will satin clear coat it in a few days. I had to do the texture first because the lighter blue does not do well with tape. I re did the foil medallion with some aluminum tape I had and then scribed the details into it. I also pulled my steering wheel to check out the turn signal switch. I'm going to clean it up and paint it also while I have it off.

Comment

That's absolutely A-1 excellent! GREAT job.

Dan

Comment

Man you never cease to amaze us........you raise the bar on all our projects.....and taught me a lot too....thanks again.......
                        That steely eyed look I had behind the wheel was me trying see..........

Comment

Finally got back to the Olds, been real busy with other projects. My son finally got his drivers licence!!!!! No more hauling him around!!!!! There was an advantage to him waiting to get his licence when he turned 18, his insurance is only 1200 instead of 1800 :o. He's paying for it. Anyway, got my door panel installed and all the hardware detailed. I'm going to crash an Oldsmobile Club show at a local park in my area tomorrow. Maybe do a driveby and check out the cars. You have to be a member to enter and I don't do clubs with dues. My turn signal switch was OK and i reinstalled my wheel. I will paint it later. I think I have about 20.00 in this door panel .

Comment

Nice work! Like the attention to detail!

Comment

Lookin good ;).You show that it doesnt need to cost a trillion to have a cool car.

Comment

It's amazing how a nice interior really helps the overall look of a car. I should drop my car off at your place next time I'm up there visiting family.

How bout a before and after pics together when you're done?
                                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X