No announcement yet.

1961 Olds 88 2 Dr Sedan sneak preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good to get an update! Please keep 'em coming.

Dan

Comment

• Still slowly tinkering with the Olds, project is on life support as far as money goes but i have a ton of things to do that cost nothing. I got really tired of looking at the rust bleed through on the hood and deck lid and didn't want to get into stripping it so I tried a poorman's solution. If anything it will preserve the finish for now.I got some Rustoelum white oil base primer and applied it with a 4" foam roller., the results are more than I expected. This stuff is so bright you can even get up close enough to see the nice matte finish I've contemplated doing the whole car but decided to just do what was necessary. Right now I have a small exhaust leak I can't pin point and I need to bleed out the clutch. Also ,the whole engine has shifted and settled about 1" forward leaving my driveshaft at minimal engagement. So I will be dealing with that. Oh the trials and tribulations of a backyard engineered project, makes me want to cheat and just buy a new muscle car ha ha. This was suppose to be a retirement project anyway, and I still have
      10 more years to go, so I will keep plugging away at it as time and money permits. It still serves me well as a back up driver. Update complete.

61 Olds 88, 69 Plymouth Roadrunner, 68 Pontiac Firebird, 95 Buick Roadmaster LT1

Comment

• SO GOOD to get an update. I think you know we're all in love with this project!

Dan

Comment

• Agree with Dan, we love this one!

Comment

• plug away brother! a great project!
            Patrick & Tammy
            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Love the build. That car is really cool. That body style Olds makes me think of the F85 Greening Auto Company built. http://www.greeningautocompany.com/G...mmys61olds.php
              CHECK US OUT AT:
              www.ridetech.com

Comment

• Neat car though it looks like they just used the body shell. I have a personal love for the Special/Skylark (I drove Mom's Special convert in HS) and like the pointy front end but the F85 is cool, too. Mine would NOT have a LS in it. Probably a BBB though maybe a Buick 350 just to be weird (I like weird!).

Dan

Comment

• Back in page 40 , he recaps that he is rebuilding the 394 and converting to 4 speed...

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                    Back in page 40 , he recaps that he is rebuilding the 394 and converting to 4 speed...
                    Bob, I'm talking about the build Ryan posted which is a similar era Olds but an F85 based build. I think it's VERY cool that he's keeping the 394 and adding a 3rd. pedal!

Dan

Comment

Patrick & Tammy
                      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                        Bob, I'm talking about the build Ryan posted which is a similar era Olds but an F85 based build. I think it's VERY cool that he's keeping the 394 and adding a 3rd. pedal!

Dan
                        Knew I was putting my foot in my mouth.
                        Isn't F-85 the Skylark sized olds?

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post

Knew I was putting my foot in my mouth.
                          Isn't F-85 the Skylark sized olds?
                          Yep, that's the one - the body is based on the Corvair. The build looks great on that one but like I said they only seem to be using the body shell.

Dan

Comment

• Has any more "plugging away" taken place...?

We need to know..😆

Comment

• Well ,I moved to a bigger house and a smaller garage and the Olds is outside. The wife and I drove it today to town. It's just standing by on back up duty until I can get back on it. It still runs and drives well but has a small hole in the manifold were the engine dropped down on the steering box and poked a small hole in it because the mounts settled and caused it. Will check in again soon.
                              61 Olds 88, 69 Plymouth Roadrunner, 68 Pontiac Firebird, 95 Buick Roadmaster LT1

Comment

• Originally posted by NASBackyard View Post
                                .........t has a small hole in the manifold were the engine dropped down on the steering box and poked a small hole in it because the mounts settled and caused it............
                                everyone knows the easy fix for that is a nasty 455 olds and a muncie 4spd....

Comment

Working...
                                X