1961 Olds 88 2 Dr Sedan sneak preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1961 Olds 88 2 Dr Sedan sneak preview

Here is my 61 Olds that I'm going to pick up this Saturday. It's one of 4920 . It has the same roof and glass as other 61 full size GMs. It comes with a 455/400 and a bunch of parts. It may even have a posi in it according to the seller. I will verify. I'll will post more next weekend.
    61 Olds 88, 69 Plymouth Roadrunner, 68 Pontiac Firebird, 95 Buick Roadmaster LT1

Re: 1961 Olds 88 2 Dr Sedan sneak preview

interesting..dig those crazy 1/4 pans.....cool

Comment

I think 61 was a great year for GM designs. Fins pointing in all kinds of directions, thin pillars, afterburner looking taillights, cool dash boards.

Please get some more pics after it's unburied.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

61 was a fine year. I was born.....
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Neat looking piece.

Thank God that back glass is intact, I bet that's not cheap to replace.

Brian
          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I like the "skeggs" down off the bottom of the taillight fairing. An Olds styling element of the time. I'm not sure I've seen a '61 GM that I didn't like except for the wierd "Duckbill" rear roof line on some Buicks and Caddilacs. Surprising the amount of glass and random body bits that are semi standardized across the GM Fullsized lineups during this time. Suspension and engine stuff is all division unique though. Chevies had upper and lower A-arms while Buick had an upper A and lower I with strut rods.
            Central TEXAS Sleeper
            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

I use to own this and that is where I got the inspiration, No I don't regret selling it back in 99 to get into Mopars It had no X frame and the body buckled when you jacked it up, also had a lousy trans. The 61 sedan will do what I want.
              61 Olds 88, 69 Plymouth Roadrunner, 68 Pontiac Firebird, 95 Buick Roadmaster LT1

Comment

That thing is riding on Buick Roadwheels, why do I see them on just about everything but Buicks? Trailers, S-10 pickups (ok A-body Ralleys) but full sized Buicks always seem to be rolling on aftermarket or steel wheels and I know a fair number of guys who do want them.

Nice looking car though, I can only imaging the horrors of frame rust in an X-frame car (I've had 3 X-frames and its interesting under there).
                Central TEXAS Sleeper
                USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Just looking at the pic.It would look nice with widened black steelies and a little rake.Side exhaust too.For some reason white two door sedan full sized cars from that era screams drag or nascar.Nice patina and rarely seen car.

Comment

Cool car. It's nice to see something different.
                    I R Bob
                    You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                    2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Originally posted by Blazerteam
                      Just looking at the pic.It would look nice with widened black steelies and a little rake.Side exhaust too.For some reason white two door sedan full sized cars from that era screams drag or nascar.Nice patina and rarely seen car.
                      Yes I was thinking oF just buffing out that original white paint, paint the original 14" wheels with the small hubcaps without the beauty rings. An old NASCAR them would be cool with a big magnetic number for the door, however, I think only hartops were used since they were about 300 lbs lighter.This is what the original wheel looks like. I think I will go with the 14's because every other car I 've ever had i ditched the 14's for 15's Maybe the 14's with fatter tires will work, I already have a new set of tires on my Firebird I can use.

Comment

14 will work.It will not be by the sixties rules,but better to use what you have and get the car up and runnin.

Comment

Originally posted by NAS Backyard
                          An old NASCAR them would be cool with a big magnetic number for the door, however, I think only hartops were used since they were about 300 lbs lighter.
                          I think it was because they had a much better roofline.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

There's a couple of those in 'our' Building(Landlord's actually...). And yes,they're ARE pretty neat. ~OO6.

Comment

Great looking car. From that angle I'm almost not sure if it is coming or going!
                              1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

Working...
                              X