My Wife's First Car: 1985 Camaro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Wife's First Car: 1985 Camaro

've spent the last 3 months resurrecting a 1985 Camaro Sport Coupe and wanted to share pictures with everyone. Here is the story on the car:

When my wife and I first met, she was driving this car and I was driving a 1987 IROC-Z. After we got married in 2001, both of the cars became somewhat impractical. We sold my IROC and we gave my wife's Camaro to my brother. My brother drove the car for a couple of years, then he parked it due to mechanical issues. It has been sitting idle since 2005. My wife's 30th birthday was this year, so I decided to have the car secretly shipped from my brother's house in Missouri to North Carolina and revive it as a surprise gift for her.

The car arrived here on 6/23/08 and I was able to give it back to her on 9/27/08. Here are the critical items that were added/repaired during that time:

New ball joints (the reason the car was parked for so long)
    Eibach Sportline Springs
    SLP Hyper Black ZR1 Wheels w/ BFG G-force tires (245/45/17)
    Glasstek 2" cowl hood
    Used front bumper cover
    New fenders
    Used doors
    Used T-tops
    Both rear quarters were patched due to rust
    Paint, including door jambs, under the hatch, etc...
    New door, hatch and t-top weather stripping
    New windshield
    New ACC carpet
    2000 Camaro seats
    Tons of misc interior pieces that were broken or missing

I'm sure that after you look at the pictures, some of you will question why so much time and money was spent on a rusty Sport Coupe. This was one of those projects that should not be evaluated with logic. The car has a lot of sentimental value and resurrecting it, despite the effort and money that was involved, was completely worth it to me and my wife.

Now that the disclaimer is out of the way, here are the pictures start to finish:

..and finally, here is my wife's reaction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcXm8VvXLpA

In addition to some small details that need to be finished on the interior, I will eventually need to do something with the engine and it needs new brakes. We are also debating on having the original seats recovered. Now that it is at our house, it will be easier to work on the little things it needs to be "finished".

Re: My Wife's First Car: 1985 Camaro

Nice looking car. Never been big on third gen, but you have made me a believer.
    Loved the vid with the wife.
    She owes you big time!!
    Nice work for just three months.

Comment

First off, welcome to the party!

Second, that was very well played dude...well done. The car looks killer!

The next video needs to be your girl laying some rubber!

Brian
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Awesome entry. Brilliant idea filming it! The paint looks great, your reflection when the door opens just adds to it. Good Job.
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Here is a better picture of the reflection.

I like the idea of a video of my wife turning the tires over on the car.

Comment

WOW.
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Outstanding job restoring that car! You gave your wife a wonderful gift...the ability to get back her first car. There are very few people who are lucky enough to do that. Some may say it wasn't logical to restore that car, but since when was love logical?

Comment

Great car. Great gift. Those cars looks so sweet in black black. Is that the Berlinetta nose on it? My buddy had a 84 Berlinetta with the digital dash and pod radio. It's 2.8 was a gutless turd, but I liked that dash.
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

That is tasteee 8)

My name is Kristy and I´ve been Overhauled.............. :o

Comment

Jess, welcome to the best place in cyberspace and what a great job with the camaro resto. Nice work for 3-months.
                    I loved the vid with your wife. Your presentation was so well done and her reaction so genuine, it brought a tear to my eye.

Way to GO, dude !!!

Comment

As far as "logical" - no explanation needed. This is "Carjunkie", after all. Looks great, and you're a lucky guy to have a motorhead wife. Mine's wonderful, but definitely NOT a motorhead.

Dan

Comment

That's awesome man. Nice video too.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
                          Great car. Great gift. Those cars looks so sweet in black black. Is that the Berlinetta nose on it? My buddy had a 84 Berlinetta with the digital dash and pod radio. It's 2.8 was a gutless turd, but I liked that dash.
                          The nose on a 84 Berlinetta is a little different. The 3 slots in the front are taller. The nose on my wife's car is the correct one for a 85 Sport Coupe. I thought about changing it to a flat nose without the slots, but the only bumper cover with that style also uses ground effects, which don't look right when you don't have them on the doors or rear quarters.

I am blessed to have a wife that "gets it" when it comes to cars. She is in the garage now cleaning up the T-tops.

Comment

Very cool. That is some good husband work right there.
                            Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

Good on ya, and welcome to the insanity that's known as CarJunkieTV.com!

I'm sure your wife will enjoy that car for years to come......makes me think about MY wife's '83 H.O. Z28...need to get that thing running, at least........

Comment

Working...
                              X