Update on LSR Camaro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on LSR Camaro

I can't post pics as ME has the camera in Michigan, but here's what's going on -

I fixed the oil pressure with the distributor shaft extension that was packaged with the distributor sans instructions. Everything seems OK.

I made a plate to bolt onto the header flange, then hooked the come along to the rear axle w/axle strap and started pulling the header back into position. This reverses the force put into it as closely as possible. To my delight, it's coming back pretty well. It's too close to the trans and has broken the shift cable, but that won't be too hard to change. I think I'll leave force on the header and heat the bent places which should allow the collector to return to its original location (I hope). All in all, it's going better than I had expected so far.

My trailer mods seem to have solved the cause of the original failure.

I have 1" spring spacers and some replacement 1 5/8 bends coming from Jegs, so I can raise the car a little and I have a fallback if the headers don't straighten correctly. The parts should arrive Wednesday.

I may actually make a race this year!

Dan

Re: Update on LSR Camaro

Sounds good!
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

That header looked pretty ugly. I hope it works out for you.
      Cognizant Dissident

Comment

It was actually worse than it looked. At the bottom bend (where the tubes go from "down" to "back") it was almost flattened as well - I saw that when I got it up in the air. I'll heat the lower ones first and hopefully they'll straighten. Then the top bends.

Dan

Originally posted by std
        That header looked pretty ugly. I hope it works out for you.

Comment

More grumbling. The front header flange was twisted so the ports didn't line up with the header flange, so it's off to a local fab shop to get straightened and fixed as needed. They'll weld the one flange (cyl 2 &3) to the bench then fix #1 flange to fit. Then cutting and welding as needed to make the whole deal fit again. Bummer, but likely the best bet. As mentioned, I have some new mandrel bends on the way that can be cut and fit as needed.

Still should make the October ECTA meet (I hope!).

Dan

Comment

Dan
            You're having some rotten luck with this thing - I sure hope you get it figured out and can get it out and stretch it's legs soon.

keep at it, you'll win the battle eventually.
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I do not lack tenacity. In fact, it may be my only real skill. That, and I refuse to set deadlines for myself - I had 31 1/2 years of artificial deadlines at EPA, and I've had my fill. So I'll just keep chugging along.

Dan

Comment

Here's to success......Finally....Hahaha

Good Luck.....Wish I could help.

Seth
                200 mph or bust.......

Comment

A friend of mine is always on me to make lists, prioritize them, set deadlines, etc - he assure's me I'd get more of my projects done faster. He maybe right - but it would also feel like work - and that would ruin it.

I also find I do my best work when I'm actually enjoying it - so - I often choose what to do based on what I feel like doing - that is - unless there is something urgent at hand - like fixing the DD so I can keep going to work!

Tenacity and perseverance are invaluable - safe to say you've got both Dan!

Comment

Me too, Seth! Although there isn't TOO much I can do until the header gets fixed. I will install the front spring spacers tomorrow and see how that looks, and install the new, longer, bigger (1/2") studs and lugs. The fabricator expects to get going on the header tomorrow so I'm hoping for the best.

I REALLY want to have the car there for this meet. Lots of folks are eager to make a pass - including me!

Dan

Originally posted by fahrenschnell
                    Here's to success......Finally....Hahaha

Good Luck.....Wish I could help.

Seth

Comment

yup, I can't wait to see you set the 6 cylinder Camaro record book on fire!
                      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Thanks Jim. Me too!

Dan

Comment

Should be interesting.

Comment

Re: Update on LSR Camaro - Headers

More Update -
                            After trying a bench fix on the headers, the fabricator is going to bring all the bits over to my shop next Saturday and we'll set them up in the chassis. He'll tack everything together and take them to his shop to TIG 'em into their final configuration. Seems that by the time he got everything loose enough that he could get the flanges where they go he could no longer determine where the pipes ought to run. So it'll get done, one way or the other, and it will all be ready to race in the Spring.

Dan

Comment

good news!

Comment

Working...
                              X