Cutting Coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting Coils

Thought you all might be interested in my results from lowering the front of the Camaro. I don't know if this info transfers to other cars or not, but I'm guessing it might be useful.

I cut 1 1/2 coils to start with. Unfortunately, I didn't measure the original height so I can't tell you how much I lost, but it ended up at 24 inches from the ground to bottom of the wheel well directly above the center of the spindle.

Today I installed a set of 1" rubber spacers (Mr. Gasket PN 1285) under each spring. The result was 24 3/4". So an inch under the spring does not equal 1" in ride height.

For what it's worth.

Dan

Re: Cutting Coils

You have to calculate the lever ratio of the lower control arm. Measure from the centerline of the spring to the ball joint and then to the bushings. You can use that data along with the spring installed height and the distance between coils installed to calculate pretty accurately how much to cut to get the drop you want. It can be both frustrating and satisfying.

Comment

1-1/2 coils is a lot!

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I started there because Dave (Green Junk) had cut that much and it seemed to work OK for him. I don't know if my springs were more tired than his, if the six is heavier than his SBC, or what, but it was a LOT on mine. I think the spacers have put me more or less where I want to be.

I know you can do this with math, but if I could do math I'd have been an engineer instead of a tech. I think in the future I'll cut maybe 3/4 of a coil to start, take measurements, and proceed from there.

Dan

Comment

i would be scared to cut coils.....the only good thing about tortion bars I found is the ability to adjust ride highth at will

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
            I think in the future I'll cut maybe 3/4 of a coil to start, take measurements, and proceed from there.

Dan
            That seems to be the best way to do it. I cut too much off the springs on my 55....found another set and went a little more conservative...

My fabulous web page

Comment

I cut one and half coils out of the front of the Impala. It shortened the spring by one and half inches when it was out of the car. It settled about another half inch after it was in the car for a while.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

This here is for future reference....there is good info at this link on spring rates on Moog springs from/for factory applications:

In some of the referenced springs no cutting is required to some the desired ride heights. I hope it is ok to do this.
                That steely eyed look I had behind the wheel was me trying see..........

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                  1-1/2 coils is a lot!

LOL the pinto lost 5 coils before it was at the desired hieght. LMAO

Comment

The first time I cut the springs on the Chevelle, I cut one coil off. It didn't lower the front of the car much at all... not enough, anyway. I took another half a coil off, and it put it right where I wanted it; that 1/2 coil lowered the car a lot more than the first full coil. Strange, but true. I suppose it's possible that I didn't have the springs located properly in the control arm after cutting the first coil.

When I bought Moroso trick springs, the instructions tell you to cut the springs to achieve desired ride height. I cut 1 1/2 coils on the first attempt. They sat a bit lower than the stock springs (after cutting 1 1/2 coils) did. My cross member is about 3 1/2" off the ground. I have to drive the car up on 2x6's just to get the jack under the cross member... but it looks cool... and it still works.

It is a good idea to let the car settle to it's new ride height before taking more coils off.

...also, different offset wheels will change the geometry; will change the ride height slightly.

Comment

Originally posted by miketblsr
                      LOL the pinto lost 5 coils before it was at the desired hieght. LMAO
                      I cut 1.5 coils off the pinto springs in a street rod once and it went down too far.

(car had a Pinto suspension put in it, often called "mustang II")
                      My fabulous web page

Comment

It's more than OK with me! The more info the better. Now as far as being OK with the author - that's between you two and the publisher. They tell me I can't reprint my old dyno article from HRM on here, but I was foolish enough to ask.

Dan

Originally posted by 383S-10

In some of the referenced springs no cutting is required to some the desired ride heights. I hope it is ok to do this.

Comment

You should be able to put your old dyno article on the internet somewhere, and link to it from here. If the publisher asks you to remove it, you should. They probably won't ever see it.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled program...

My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                          X