my latest project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my latest project

it's on it's way to georgia where we are going to test thursday and race the last div.2 race of the year.

i've been working on it from 7:00am to anound 2-3:00am everyday for the last 2 weeks.
    i didn't pick out the paint job though, i think it's kinda loud. if it were mine i would have went with flat black.
    but thats just me.
    Originally posted by TC
    also boost will make the cam act smaller

Re: my latest project

whoa - that's a wicked looking pile of mechanical goodness there.... nice!

what class are you running in?

you've GOT to include video of a burn out and launch with that beast!
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Hmmmmmmm.....hemi powered tasty goodness....cool project

Comment

That is one sweet dragster.

Comment

thanks guys,
          i'm taking a camera with me this time, so i hope to have a few pics.
          oh, BTW it's a TAD or Top Alcohol Dragster, we run A/Fuel as opposed to a BAD or Blown Alcohol Dragster.
          incase anyone wants to know the record is 5.10 @ 284 mph set in houston last year by Bill Rechirert in a A/Fuel Dragster.
          Originally posted by TC

Comment

You sure Scott? That looks like a bracket pipe rack to me...heh.

Why do all you A/Fuel guys like that big single hole injector?

Care to elaborate on that theory you had mentioned in a previous thread that allowed you to run that thing like a 5.20-odd bracket car. We're good with top secret info around here!

Brian
            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Yes....do tell.....
              Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

thats x-schumacher pipe there buddy..LOL
                no, all kidding aside, i don't really know whats going to happen with this car. alot of new parts..
                but as far as what i learned this summer. it's all about fuel curves and, after watching that video, if the DA changed 1000ft, what do you think you should do?

i'm just stringing you along, i'll tell you in a little bit......
                Originally posted by TC

Comment

my god brian, it's been 5 years, my arm is still numb from sleeping in tom conways trailer..no kidding. i might have to see someone cause it's not getting any better. i have two milk crates of bent GRP rods, i lost a wife, and a 8 year old daughter, i had a house, with a two car garage....i had a normal life.....camaro parts everywhere, i had two, and a bad ass trans/am...a nice ford pick-up, and a honda for her to drive....i'll tell ya, nitro is worse than crack, cause there is no 12 step program for that.....
                  i guess i gave it all up for a dream, and i'm half way there. my girlfriend believes in me, and i make money at it now.
                  my new thing is to take it to the next level, and i'm already working on it.....
                  i can build one for $65,000 right now....i'm sure a lot of you guys have that in you're street rods...
                  don't get me wrong, i'm not knocking that, i have one too (i wish i had time for it )
                  i just want you to know, you could have a TAD for that......
                  here you go follow me http://dragracecentral.com/
                  watch me step on my dick, a brand new car, what can i say.
                  here is my specs.

Brad .500 short deck block 4.375 boreBryant 3.5 stroke crank (421 CI)Brad -8 heads 93 cc'sCrower cam 268/271 .522 lift, (at the lobe) installed so the intake opens @ 25*btdcGrp 6.951 rodsJ&E pistons (around 13.2 compression) .064 head gasketHogan intakeAutoman injectorAutoman down nozzles, 38psi 49/51Waterman fuel pump, 48 gallon @ 4000Rcd front cover, ect.Smiley headers.MSD 44 amp mags, with a PSI drive. phased in at 65* MSD 6 shooter.

i'll even add: i have 502 grams on a crower clutch, stall is a turn in a half out, tractor springs...green ones...

i would have killed for this info 5 years ago,

i've fishing for some bigger fish right now...
                  with a nice tune, you'll run 5.40's @ 260+......
                  it doesn't work on every combo, but i can help ya get a '35, maybe better.
                  i figured out what the alen johnsons, and the auston coils already know.... (i can't spell)
                  99% of you guys could do it to, if it wernt for RACE HEAD.....remember that cause we are going back to that...
                  when i'm tuning a car, i have a problem with not having the data i need (or i think i need )
                  and i make crazy dicisions, (remember i only have 2 laps in div.2) it's a 8 car field.

the DA goes up 300ft or it could drop 500 ft (brian, this is all you) whatch it again http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5lrMWszCR4
                  when you are dealing with nitro, and the ratio is 1.7:1 how does the A/F ratio effect that???
                  the 44 amp mags are nothing more than a heat sorce, \
                  there.. i gave it all away, nitro explodes it doesn't burn,
                  the key to tuning a 4000hp A/Fuel dragster is the clutch.....
                  so what...do you want to know the ratio of the levers? 250/256 umm 2 new disks and 2 old disks?
                  now you are talking 8 years of my life, not 5.....

i'll bring a engine down to it's knees with timing (tom) showed me something that i didn't know was possible with a nito engine....
                  we were leaking 40% ON 4 out of 8....turned the timing up.....wamo....5.40...Tom is the man....i'm lucky to work for him.

so i spilled the beans, i took my girlfriend out to dinner, and now she is sleeping, (i'll be gone for a week, again)
                  i'm talking to shchumacher racing, about being a crew member.....uhum, actually, i'll stop now.........

umn, Brian, does that answer your question in a round about sort of way?
                  call me, you have my number.
                  Originally posted by TC

Comment

Scott, that was a TOTALLY awesome read and not just for the tech stuff either. You nailed the all-consuming nature of what you do probably better than I've ever seen.

Working with Tom Conway must have been the education of a lifetime, although it seems the old master still held on to some of the trade secrets, which is only right in my opinion. Your successes would be less meaningful to you if it was all spilled out for you. The world you operate in is a very difficult one to earn respect in, it certainly seems you are on your way to fufilling your dream/goal.

It's nowhere near my place to judge the sacrifices you have made as being worth it or not, that's your deal. I respect the hell out of you for doing something you have always aspired to do, not many people have the guts to commit fully to something so few would understand.

It will be interesting to see where your path leads next. Schumacher Racing would be a heck of a place to plant your flag. With the experience you already have I bet they could find a neat developmental role for you over there. Those guys certainly know how to run an operation.

Thanks for the post and good luck!

Brian

Comment

thanks man,
                      not too many people get it...
                      comming from you it means alot, it what keeps me going sometimes.
                      i keep telling myself these old guys won't be around forever, some new bloods gotta kreep in every once in a while.
                      i tell my girlfriend "it's all about the kids" they gotta learn from someone. she calls it a circus, and i'm just a side show.
                      Originally posted by TC

Comment

It's certainly a circus, complete with a freak show.

Here's a slightly off topic question. What's Tom Anderson up to these days? I've not heard his name since he was working with Jim Sickles a couple years back. He had a great run with Al Hoffmann and for a while was working on a bunch of alky cars.

I figured running in the circles you run in, you may know.

Brian

Comment

oh man, i have no idea.
                          Originally posted by TC

Comment

Maybe you could have sold that one post on e-bay ;)

Ever heard of Chet Bushey? Local guy gave me some great help on my street hemi around the time he was shutting down his A/Fuel operation.

Playing with hardware like that reminds me of being a kid with your first couple-of Cox .049s. Having held all those shiney machined parts in your hand...and smelling that funny fuel...when that thing lights up and goes "Waaaaeeeee" it's quite a rush. Addictive, indeed. Helping out a guy with a new 528 a few days ago, I told him to forget what he knows about regular motors...these things were made to haul ass, that's ALL.

It's nice to hear from someone running a car like yours.

Comment

Hey Scott,

See now you've gone and gotten me to thinking up all these A/Fuel related questions. So here goes...

1.) Is the warm-up procedure the same as the blown (nitro) cars?

2.) Do you have to do anything like (again with the blown cars) the other guys do when the "back off" the motor after warming it up? I'm thinking about the increased C/R, heat, cylinder pressure that a small emount of fuel could compression ignite. Would that be enough to blow one up like Scott Weiss had a Indy a few years back?

3.) Is the 65K figure you said a complete car or sans body and other stuff?

Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X