1950 Studebaker project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 Studebaker project

Thanks everyone for the information on Studebaker trucks. It's now in his possession... new up, make it run (and stop), then flat black paint... here's more pics of the possession.

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Re: All good projects start with a push

That should be a cool project. Did it run and stop recently?

Comment

Run 2 years ago (doesn't because he boiled out the tank then didn't get around to rehooking it up). Stop - a year ago but he wasn't "sure" of the brakes so he completely rebuilt them... then couldn't get the rear wheel drum on without "scratching" the brake pad.... this guy epitomizes the concept of fastideous.....

Comment

amazingly cool truck, Its different than the big 3.

Comment

Update time:
          Last month we got the brakes to work... and I learned something new; that whether or not the outside dimensions of the slave cylindar is the same - the inside metal pistons can be thicker.... which explains why the Studebaker guy we got the truck from could not get the drum over the pads.... that was a good 12 hours worth of work.... but then it had brakes
          Today:
          We got it started.... I must admit I was almost as happy as the 16 year old owner was to see it run. It runs very well.
          Next up:
          Convert it to 12 volt.

Comment

According to Chad and Ryan, I'm the skinny shit who gets to steer while everyone else pushes. ;D
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Re: 1950 Studebaker project

This 16 year old is skinnier then you.... I bet he weighs a buck 20 soaking wet - and he's 5-8.... he certainly will grow into those shoes - and now that we're done pushing his truck, he can recommence his growth.

I'm still psyche'd about getting that thing to run. Blew out a mouse nest and enough seed to seed a golf-course...

To contextualize: think back to your first car that you thought ran but you bought without hearing it run. Then add a few weeks of crappy weather, time-conflicts, and his nissan driving parents who keep saying "why didn't you buy a car that runs"... and you get an idea of how excited he is. funny thing is it's truly contagious..... I'd lay odds that this will be one of those stories he tells his grandkids.

Comment

You bet he'll tell the Grands. I'd tell mine the car stories but so far none of 'em will listen. I think my youngest Grand Daughter will be the one - she's 2 and is up for ANYTHING. The 5 year old is sweet as honey but pretty timid. The new Grandson is 5 months and it's too soon to tell. His Daddy is a car guy and Mom is a car gal so there's hope.

Dan

Comment

Buickguy, I'm pretty sure that Sam said he heard this old Stude pickup run in the summer; I think that you were giving us a tour of your property at the time, so I didn't hear it. Any updates?

Comment

I'll post a photo later - but he's in the midst of wiring the truck - it really looks like spiderman went a bit light in the loafers and hit the truck with multi-colored webbing. At this point, I'm strongly encouraging him to get it daily driveable with the 6 cyl, then we'll put the 259/blower motor on an s-10 frame and do a bodyswap.

Comment

So let's see... where are we. The kid has graduated, has been driving the truck for the last couple years.... all the while saving up and planning for the upgrades to his truck....
                      He's rewired the truck, fixed the brakes, put fuzzy dice on the mirror, fixed about everything on it - and he drives it almost daily

so first, this came with the truck

this is what is in the truck (measure 0-60 with a calendar)

we now have a mcculloch blower, and a t-5 transmission... and the motor is done. New pistons (ouch)

except for trying to figure out how to put the oil pressure regulator together have a couple parts, but no ideas.

Next up
                      headers - stainless
                      intake - stainless

If I remember my camera, I'll take pictures as I build those things...

Comment

Sam and I will wait here for pics. ;D

Comment

Jroberts is hooked up in the Study community. PM him if you're stuck on anything. I have an old Motors and may have some details too. Again. PM me and I'll see what I can do.

Dan

Comment

very kool

somewere upstairs in the shop at my moms there is one of thoses superchargers I should dig it out

Comment

Another little Studebaker tidbit -
                              The intake on the V8 WILL bolt up backwards. Everything sorta lines up and it seems reasonable but the carb angle is all wrong. No clue how the ports align if you do that. C'mon - I was 14 at the time! But it WILL fit.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X