Updates on my 1971 Cutlass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updates on my 1971 Cutlass

Been a long time since I posted pics. http://www.freiburgersjunkyard.com/f...p?topic=3065.0
    But I finally got some good ones this weekend.

I took the car out in the sun to take these.

First time it has moved under it's own power since the week I got it.

Re: Updates on my 1971 Cutlass

Nice job. What's its motivation?
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

It has a mild 455 with a 4 speed and 3.21 gears in the rear.

The 455 is the first engine I have ever built myself. My mom helped with that and with all of the rest of the work too. We did the paint and body work at the local tech school where we go at night for "fun".

The trans and shifter was given to me by my dad. It came out of my grandfathers 67 442, and my dad used it in number of his cars.

I have done a couple of other cars, but this one has been the most hands on.

Marty

Comment

I want your old Ford welding truck!

The Olds is awesome man, looks good with the extra rubber in the rear.

Brian
        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Looks great, I still have a soft spot for the 68-72 A-body Olds, after having a 72 many moons ago.

Needs some taller tires on the back! ;)

cheers
          Ed N.
          Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
          07 Mustang GT with some stuff
          88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

nice hope your going to lansing mi. this summer for homecoming

Comment

Nice car. Mean stance, and I love black.

Nice F350 as well. I could really use the cab off of that for my '77. ;D
              Still plays with trucks....

Comment

Sweet lookin ride.
                Hauling ass & sucking gas are the best uses for a truck.

Comment

Thanks for the compliments guys.

The paint is actually blue. Newer gm color. Dark Ming Blue. My mother and I did it at the local tech school. We had to replace both lower quarters, the floor pans, trunk pans and both lower fenders. Other than that it was in great shape

The welding truck is actually my stepfathers. It was his service truck at his welding shop for 25 years. He had to retire due to some health issues but kept his truck. It has a welder and a HUGE air compressor. The compressor is built from a ford 400 motor. He has talked about letting it go, but it is still there. I actually learned to work a clutch by moving it in and out of his shop when I worked for him 23 years ago.

Marty

Comment

Any way to get some photos of that compressor....sound neato.

(This in no way detracts from my love of your Olds...it's a show stopper!)

:D

Brian
                    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

And it's a Cutlass, not a 442 clone, Nice.

Comment

Originally posted by MarMar
                        Thanks for the compliments guys.

The paint is actually blue. Newer gm color. Dark Ming Blue. My mother and I did it at the local tech school. We had to replace both lower quarters, the floor pans, trunk pans and both lower fenders. Other than that it was in great shape

The welding truck is actually my stepfathers. It was his service truck at his welding shop for 25 years. He had to retire due to some health issues but kept his truck. It has a welder and a HUGE air compressor. The compressor is built from a ford 400 motor. He has talked about letting it go, but it is still there. I actually learned to work a clutch by moving it in and out of his shop when I worked for him 23 years ago.

Marty
                        Now that you say that, I guess it is dark blue, it was hard to tell from the pics. Either way, still killer cool, I love those Cutlasses. My cousin has a '72 with a warmed-over 350, headers, and 3" exhaust through Dynomax mufflers. He took me for a ride in it when I was like 14, listening to that cam lump and pipes gurgle had a very lasting impact on me... He got married and hasn't touched the car in 10 years since then, just hauls it from one storage unit to another. Someday he will get back to it and finish it right (I know him, it will happen...)

I'd also be interested in seeing a pic of that 400M compressor. I have a 351M air compressor that powers my '77 F150. It has been modified to run on 5.5 cylinders while 2.5 cylinders push air and unburnt fuel straight out the tailpipes... I hate burnt valves...
                        Still plays with trucks....

Comment

Wow, great looking Olds. Nice to see another Oldsmobile owner on here. ;D

Is it a 71 with some 72 tali lights?

Comment

There seems to be some sort of odd, shiny surface on the Olds. I thought all you kids were building 'em with suede covering. I've gotta say, I like it! Cool that you and your Mom did it - that's a memory you'll carry for the rest of your life. Mine's 88 now and doing well, but I wouldn't trade anything for all the great memories we've built together.

Dan

Comment

Thanks again guys.

It is a 71 with 72 tail lights and grills. I liked the way they looked a little better. I also put chevelle mirrors and wheels on it.

It will probably tick some people off, but oh well.

Comment

Working...
                              X