Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rustys Mustang project- You're doing it wrong

Heres my current project the put the chevelle on hold

But first, a backstory! I got it as my 'first' car(technically, first was the velle, but Im only half owner), may 27th 2006. on October 22nd 2007 I had it sold, and was 2 signatures away from owning a modded 1997 Cobra. In steps the female parental unit, and stops that. >. So I started planning out this build. The plan to screw the ma....er, Woman! After talking to friends about the project I originally dubbed 'the phantom' since only 4 friends knew originally,It was renamed "You're doing it wrong" since its....well, a V6! And we all know nothing with less then 8 cylinders is worth building ;)

heres the photo progression to now-
    day I got it from the dealer-

spring 07 I did a few mods, and I ended high school with it like this-

now about 6 months later when the cobra incident happened, I began to plan and buy. now, here were the known problems with the car:
    -exhaust leaks throughout
    -front and rear bumpers need replacement
    -too damn slow
    -suspensions sloppy
    -brakes could be better
    -7.5" rearend too wimpy, one wheel peel

First up was a set of Full Length subframe connectors, since we all know mustang chassis' are so stiff. $90

next was an 8.8 rear-

$200 bucks with a fresh trac-lok. had 3.08's.

that was fixed with some 3.55's from a 2003 mach one that went with 4.30's. $30

Xcal tuner- 225 bucks. screwed over because its locked. add 150. bastard.

then I realized my crappy 225's werent enough. Bought dirt cheap 17x9 2003 cobra wheels

yes, that is my dorm room. and they are being cleaned up as we speak. read? write?

rear tires were shot. spent 200 on a set of Nitto 555R's from a friend.

fixed the exhaust. Longtubes and an off road H-pipe.

Then a deal popped up on some H&R Race springs- snapped them up.

Followed by a new front bumper-

and in the process of a rear, no pic. also a mach one spoiler.

Plans called for a 13" front brake upgrade, but when my front calipers seized in october i had to use the money for some stock replacements, couldnt wait 5 days for bigger ones to come in.

nearly every part bought has been used- and Ive spent maybe 40% on what I would have on new stuff. good on a college budget. but not much is installed- no time, so Im just a parts whore(Learned from you, DF!)

Since my windows got busted out, extra insurance money is going towards mufflers, guages, and replacement parts.

still Have to get-
    -underdrive pulley
    -EGR and PCV deletes
    -Mysteed Performance M112 kit. economy pending :-\

and that is as she sits! and here i am, still doing it wrong.

way off future calls for new paint as well. by way off, 3-4 years at least, after college. my gift to myself rather then a new car. why fix what isnt broke?

rendition of final product:

Local person
    sigpic

Re: Rustys Mustang project- You're doing it wrong

You should put a 5.4 in it.

Comment

its a daily- cant take it off the road to do a full engine swap.

and that would be doing it right ;)
      Local person
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RustyRodder
        its a daily- cant take it off the road to do a full engine swap.

and that would be doing it right ;)

You can't drive the 'Velle for a few weeks?

Comment

Looks good like the tires in the dorm room!

Comment

Slow down there, Bucko. Let's not be deleting the emissions stuff! A cat delete gains you virtually nothing - backpressure is only about 3" H2O - you can fart harder than that. Keep the stocker until you can afford a couple of Catco or similar high-flows. EGR is part of the calibration suite on modern cars - the tune will moderate it to HELP - not hurt - performance. PCV has no effect at all on performance, and neither does the evaporative emissions package. You are going to need a LOT stiffer engine package before these things come into play - we're talking MAJOR engine mods (much stiffer cam, higher compression, etc).

You can do lots of things to make the six seriously perky and fun to drive without taking the car off the road for more than a weekend. Keep talking to the guys here and we'll help take you to the mods that REALLY matter. A fresh air package should be high on the list. Cat back exhaust is a good thing. A computer tune is a definite - you're likely better off with a custom tune rather than a "one-size-fits-all" tune from a mail order place - and it isn't all that pricey if you look around. Chassis and brake mods are always good, too.

As long as you still breathe air, keep the emissions intact on your DD - a race car is a different story.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
              Slow down there, Bucko. Let's not be deleting the emissions stuff! A cat delete gains you virtually nothing - backpressure is only about 3" H2O - you can fart harder than that. Keep the stocker until you can afford a couple of Catco or similar high-flows. EGR is part of the calibration suite on modern cars - the tune will moderate it to HELP - not hurt - performance. PCV has no effect at all on performance, and neither does the evaporative emissions package. You are going to need a LOT stiffer engine package before these things come into play - we're talking MAJOR engine mods (much stiffer cam, higher compression, etc).

You can do lots of things to make the six seriously perky and fun to drive without taking the car off the road for more than a weekend. Keep talking to the guys here and we'll help take you to the mods that REALLY matter. A fresh air package should be high on the list. Cat back exhaust is a good thing. A computer tune is a definite - you're likely better off with a custom tune rather than a "one-size-fits-all" tune from a mail order place - and it isn't all that pricey if you look around. Chassis and brake mods are always good, too.

As long as you still breathe air, keep the emissions intact on your DD - a race car is a different story.

Dan
              Dont worry dan, Ive done the research!

regarding the emissions- MAC discontinued the catted H-pipe a couple years back, so when you can get them, they run 350+. plus the headers/mid were a package deal. So when it comes time to get a new inspection, Ill ahve some high flows welded in. I cant used the stock pipe, because its a Y-pipe and only 2.25" to the headers 2.5". the EGR is being deleted because of this:

very little clearance. some brakets need to be remounted, and all. easier to delete it! PCV for similar reasons- the backpressure causes the system to back up, and just causes problems.

Ill be getting custom tunes- one for NA so my speedo will be correct and to turn off the CEL, and then a dynotune after. provided i dont blow on the dyno.

but still helpful as always dan! thats what i missed about all you guys;D
              Local person
              sigpic

Comment

PCV for similar reasons- the backpressure causes the system to back up, and just causes problems.
                I'm not sure I follow the logic here. What back pressure? It removes crankcase pressure, that usually results in better ring sealing....
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
                  PCV for similar reasons- the backpressure causes the system to back up, and just causes problems.
                  I'm not sure I follow the logic here. What back pressure? It removes crankcase pressure, that usually results in better ring sealing....
                  Not only that, but that crankcase pressure will blow seals,
                  if it has nowhere to go.

Comment

heres the problem that its having-
                    when i had the pcv, and i would get into the boost it blew oil out everywhere...it was putting to much pressure in the crankcase...so i took it off
                    Local person
                    sigpic

Comment

heres the problem that its having-
                      when i had the pcv, and i would get into the boost it blew oil out everywhere...it was putting to much pressure in the crankcase...so i took it off
                      So where is your crank case pressure going now? As Bill pointed out, that excess pressure will blow seals and gaskets.

Comment

If I'm following your timeline, the PCV problem means that there's something (ring seal maybe) SERIOUSLY wrong with the motor. Whatever it is, you'll need to fix it or this engine is not a viable candidate for a blower. The last thing you want to do is put forced induction an an unsound longblock (unless you WANT to blow it up - your call on that one). I suggest you get your hands on a leak down tester and see what you have there.

BTW - I see NOTHING wrong with messing with the six. They are cool little motors and can be very successfully hotrodded. No need to apologize for having a neat little car that's "D2BD".

Dan

Comment

Not only that Dan, I'm wondering if the PVC was hooked to a port that now gets pressurized from the supercharger causing oil to blow out the breather lines. Granted PCV's are kind of a check valve, but they are not perfect check valves.

Comment

If I'm following your timeline, the PCV problem means that there's something (ring seal maybe) SERIOUSLY wrong with the motor. Whatever it is, you'll need to fix it or this engine is not a viable candidate for a blower. The last thing you want to do is put forced induction an an unsound longblock (unless you WANT to blow it up - your call on that one). I suggest you get your hands on a leak down tester and see what you have there.

BTW - I see NOTHING wrong with messing with the six. They are cool little motors and can be very successfully hotrodded. No need to apologize for having a neat little car that's "D2BD".

Dan
                            That was my friend derrick having the problem- he actually blew a headgasket last month. building his 4th V6 now, finally going forged. Nathan(kit builder) deleted his, and has been going for 30k with no problems. excess pressure is still vented, it has a free filter instead of the regulating valve.
                            Local person
                            sigpic

Comment

Dan
                              That was my friend derrick having the problem- he actually blew a headgasket last month. building his 4th V6 now, finally going forged. Nathan(kit builder) deleted his, and has been going for 30k with no problems. excess pressure is still vented, it has a free filter instead of the regulating valve.
                              Don't pcv valve issues cause Timing Cover Seal, Rear Main Seal, Valve Cover, Oil Pan and maybe Intake gaskets leaks? I can't see why/how crank case pressure would effect a head gasket before the other seals and gaskets I named. A PCV is better for daily drivers none the less simply because vacuum in the crank case is a good thing, especially when idling around.

Comment

Working...
                              X