Dodge COE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dodge COE

Thought I'd throw this one up for kicks.

It's a '40's COE that I bought for $200 and chopped the top 4" in front/3" in rear. Got all the parts including the grill and emblems. Right now I'm toyin with the idea of takin 7" out of the nose and raising the fenders into the cab/doors. Only thing holding me back is the cherry doors i got this summer to finish the chop...they're like new compared to the originals I've been hackin on already.

So I've got junk layin in every corner...I take the subframe from an Astro van and hack the ends off (the steering box faces upward perfectly for COE swap and is good track width. I have 2" drop spindles and airride arms/bags on a shelf.

I take a Eldo front half from another $200 purchase, set the motor/trans off to the side and fix the horrific blue flame job the guy did for me when he cut the car in half.

Now I figure GM did all the engineering of suspension and mounts, I jus gotta get them together.

I will have four wheel independent suspension, 4 whl disc brakes, pwr steering, pwr brakes, 500 Caddy power pushin from the rear, airride on all four corners (ditchin Eldo torsion in favor of air bag on upper arm).

This is a rendering that kinda inspired me. This is a Chevy, which I looked at first...ran out to the shop gathering COE doors, 1/2 ton cab, COE hood, 1/2 ton fenders and quickly realized jus cus it's drawn it doesn't always really work.
    Kinda like the bed idea, but it wont work the way it's drawn. Probably go with a flat bed for haulin...maybe a pickup. Not sure if I'll go dually wheels or bigs/littles...has 5X5 on all four corners. Jus had to start hackin somewhere.

Hope to have it on the floor on four wheels with the cab on by Christmas.

Re: Dodge COE

That's wild! I think that part of the neat look of the COEs is how tall and stubby they are up front...you'll lose that if you move the fenders up. Definitely need to do some photoshopping and see how it all looks, the big picture, you know.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Ma, that's so awesome, I can't wait to see what that ends up like! Is it going to be a work truck like the illustration?

Comment

Very Cool.....Keep Us Posted on the progress.

Seth
        200 mph or bust.......

Comment

The old COE's from the old days are neat as can be...

Pain in the ass to work on, engine-wise, but neat.

I've seen a few of the Chevy's done up nicely, and a couple a ramp-beds with modern drivelines(usually powerstrokes or Cummins)...a Dodge is a welcome change!

Comment

I would agree on the not moving the fenders up. But if you shorten the nose like you were talking about then you can push the fenders back under the doors more . Giving it even more of the cab over look that drew you to it in the first place .

Comment

You guys are probably right on the fenders. It would be alot more work as well.
              It's definately going to be a work truck, so the back half needs to be usable.
              I'm thinkin the cab will be mounted high above the box tubing enough to make the bed Corvair like...both sides of the mid section folding down to get the welder/tool box/ whatever loaded up with a small bed above the engine in back. What ya think?

Comment

I love it. I have been stalking an old chevy ceo or about 8 yrs now . One thing that stops me is that I'm kind of theme oriented. I always just looked at them as car haulers. And it just wouldn't look "right " hauling a 87 ta or what ever around with it.But you've got that covered with the welding theme . Good stuff .

Comment

Very cool - I like the motor under the bed concept as it keeps the leg room in the truck.
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Sweet...... Christmas eh?

Tick, tick, tick..... ;D

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Looks great so far!

I had a chance 8 years back to buy a '47 COE Ford short wheel base, single axle, that was running and driving. Came from an orange farm in Florida. Came with another truck for parts, a long wheel base dual axle. $1200. Only thing that kept me from buying it was I had absolutely no place to keep it at the time.

Comment

How do you find the time?

Comment

Originally posted by VTJUNK
                          Only thing that kept me from buying it was I had absolutely no place to keep it at the time.
                          I passed on the most cherry early chevette about a year ago for the same reason. had visions of a turbo ecotec sleeper. way off topic I know. sorry

Comment

8) Looks like a ton of FUN.
                            Hauling ass & sucking gas are the best uses for a truck.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY
                              Sweet...... Christmas eh?

Tick, tick, tick..... ;D

STINEY....it's not like I said I'd be driving it by Christmas!!! ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X