Rebeldryver's '65 Impala SS Black Betty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    I thought you had decided to wipe off the bottom of that drain pan! (Always pretend you MEANT to do that - you'll find you need to cover these kind of tracks more as you age!).

Dan
    I have no shame.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Update: Car is in the garage on four jack stands, no tires. Master cylinder failed. The fluid in it smelled like sewage. I don't think I have checked it since I was in LA. I am pretty sure I cooked the snot out of it on the autocross. I also noticed rear brake shoes are ready to be changed.

I am also going to change out the gear oil in the transmission to ATF since it worked so well in the truck.

Since this car has the loudest stereo, I hook up the battery charger to it and blast it in the garage for hours. Bass thumping away.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Here is the new aluminum master cylinder that CPP recommended to use with my hydroboost.

Here is the car on it's super cheap, winter tires and wheels, $40 just in case I need to drive it in winter.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Looks good like that too'
          Those 65's wear ny shoes and looks good except those damn donky ones..
          The older cars MUST have RUBBER on their rims!
          50-60 series at the least...

Comment

• That's funny because the tires on it for the last couple years have been 40 series 18's.

Took the car down the freeway a ways. These cheap tires run nice and smooth at 80 mph.
            Last edited by Scott Liggett; October 31, 2015, 03:55 PM.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
              That's funny because the tires on it for the last couple years have been 40 series 18's.

Took the car down the freeway a ways. These cheap tires run nice and smooth at 80 mph.

I rest my case .
              YOU like the 40's on YOUR car and YOU drive it.. What I think is of no consquence..
              Big cars like that the 18's are not that bad looking.. But to put 18's on say a Nova or Malibu will not look that great.. Merely my "old man opinion"

Comment

• I like the steelies, they look good. I kind of miss the steel wheels on my 66, I now have 15x7 TTD's I was going toput 17's on my car but I had the TTD's for the last 8 years, needed tires and didn't have money for wheels. The Mastercraft tires fit my budget.
                Tom
                Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• Scott: do you have a long-lost relation on the east coast?
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	2015 Oct 31 VMP  Long Roofs 1.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	1068750
                  Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

• Haha! No. But I am not surprised by seeing this. The picture of my car that was in CHP is all over the net.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• I have been fighting the brakes since changing out the master cylinder, namely lack of good brakes. After power bleeding the system, I test drove it down to the local Tractor Supply with the same results. While turning around in the parking lot, my problems expanded dramatically. As I was turning with the wheel to lock I heard a loud pop and straightened wheel, the front fell with the right front tire dragging the car to a stop. The spindle shaft snapped in two. See the pics. It is the original drum brake spindle even though I went to disc brakes. The only real damage besides the spindle is the caliper bracket, caliper bolts, and brake pads.

What I found taking the wheel off the rotor. The rotor fell to the ground. The spindle shaft still in it and the bearings looking brand new.

No pitting. No rust. Very clean break.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Wow! Back in September all 6 studs broke on the RF wheel on our 04 Trailblazer. Took out the fender. On my 66 Mustang I swapped the stock spindles for stronger 72's. Maybe with 6.95x14 tires and suspensions 50 years ago but are no match for modern tires and aftermarket suspension parts. Good thing you were in a parking lot and not doing 70 on the highway. I believe 70's vettes use the same spindle as the B body or will at least work and you get 4 piston calipers.
                        Tom
                        Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• You will have to explain how a larger tire and wheel puts any more pressure on spindle shaft. The pressure still sits on the bearings. It isnt like the wheels have a rediculous offset either. On top of that, there are 1000's of these '60's impalas with much bigger wheels and you dont see them all breaking.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Sorry Scott. It was more of a general statement that today's wider and stickier tires are going to place more of a load on spindles from hard cornering. More specifically I was referring to early Mustangs since that is a know problem and to some extent control arms. Some of the guys who road race say that the early spindles are required to be magnifluxed annually. One guy I'm pretty friendly with is an engineer who helped develop the Global West Mustang control arms recommended that I used the later spindles.
                            Last edited by Huskinhano; November 23, 2015, 05:09 AM.
                            Tom
                            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• Damn, Scott! THAT'S scary! Glad you're OK. I hope there's a permanent fix - or maybe that was a fluke and most are OK.

Dan

Comment

• Many Impalas survive HARD DIRECT HITS on the front tires and I have NEVER seen a spindle break! It has to be a FLUKE!
                                I have seen spindles on FORDS bend...
                                So glad it broke in the parking lot, not at speed on the freeway! Or autocross course..

Comment

Working...
                                X