Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• squirrel
    replied
    been a while since I posted in this thread. I gave the Suburban to my son Steve when he got a job about a year and a half ago. He's been driving it to work, to robots, and occasionally down here to visit us.

Recently he noticed it's been losing coolant faster. He was visiting for a few days last weekend, so we did some exploration, discovered there wasn't any antifreeze left in the system, and it was pretty rusty again. We flushed it some with the garden hose, added anti freeze, and then found the leak at a rear freeze plug. Since the engine had that crack in the block, and it never did seal up after we changed the head gaskets in 2008, and he likes the truck, he decided to get a new engine for it. They sell them at chevy dealers...so he left it here, and agreed that I'd get a new engine for him, he'd pay me for it (since he has a job!) and we'd get it done some time soon. We had been planning to take it on a trip to Missouri at the end of the month, so time was kind of short. He drove my wife's late model truck back up to Phoenix Tuesday morning.

Anyways, I had some scrap to haul to Tucson, so I took my old truck up Wednesday with 2200 lbs of steel and iron in it, got paid for the scrap, then went and bought a new replacement engine at the Chevy dealer, and hauled it home. I also bought an extra front axle for my truck, complete with brakes, but that's another story.

Yesterday I pulled the engine, and started swapping parts over to the new one. This morning I finished the parts swapping, and dropped it in. These late models are a pain....but it's back together and it runs.

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied
    Re: The free 87 Suburban

Next is putting some brake fluid in the power steering to cut down the leaks

(yes, I'm kidding)

Leave a comment:

• SpiderGearsMan
    replied

make a trans mount out of a hose clamp ?????

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied

The Suburban is back together and seems to run ok. We'll see how it does....hopefully won't have to work on it much for a while.

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied

The robot is just a fantasy...we found out Saturday what it needs to do, there are 6 weeks to design, build, and test it. Here's one concept. It has to play a game with Orbit balls on an ice-like surface.

Leave a comment:

• 65RHDEER
    replied

Originally posted by squirrel
    It's going back together, slowly but surely. Robot activity is slowing us down.
    Picture of the offending robot would be interesting!

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied

It's going back together, slowly but surely. Robot activity is slowing us down.

Steving putting all that crap back on behind the heads, what a pain

Leave a comment:

• min301
    replied

Agreed. That stuff should do the trick.

Leave a comment:

• terry russell
    replied

I have a pos 327 with a cracked water jacket.I used cermaic seal has not leaked in 2 years.
    terry

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied

Nuummm!!!!. If you use orange juice in the crankcase, would you make Orange Julius?

Dan

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied

I think the plate won't be able to hurt anything if it does pop off, it should be sort of held against the valley wall by the pushrods.

And if there's enough movement of the block to dislodge it, then I'll be drinking milkshake anyways....

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied

Should you run a screw thru the plate and into the valley? I'm thinking it might be cheaper if it comes loose.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• tiresmoke!
    replied

Someone go holler at Freiburger...he's gotta see this!

That right there makes me feel a little better about some rather dubious repairs I've been forced to cobble up in the past.

Bonus points if it works....got my fingers crossed for you.

Leave a comment:

• dhondagod
    replied

we'll see how long this lasts....at least it's good for a laugh

Awesome......

Chris 8)

Leave a comment:

• BluLightning
    replied

Originally posted by Huskinhano
    Originally posted by Beagle
    we'll see how long this lasts....at least it's good for a laugh

That it is sir... you should use a sharpie and date code that for posterity. ;)
    LOL, I was famous for dating things at my old job.
    Me too. Only problem was I married her. :o ;D

Leave a comment:

Working...
X