No announcement yet.

Turbo-4 '89 Mustang roadrace coupe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Turbo-4 '89 Mustang roadrace coupe.

If thats what Readers Digest is like to read, No F-n thanks! To many bad headlines.

I think this thing mite need a rabbits foot for a key chain Bob, if it had a key of coarse.

"wing flew OFF" reminds me of Ron White's stand up joke about a tire leaving his van after a Sears tech left the lug loose, "it flew off, as in O-F-F off, the F--- off"
    Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Man, looking in the mirror as you're getting ready to hit the brakes and watching the wing "leave the building" was truly an OH Shit moment.

I tell you what, aero is awesome. Glued that SOB to the track.

Comment

Cool build, good luck getting it back together. Any idea as to where the engine problems started?

Comment

The achilles heel on these engines is the stock oil drive system. Its disappointingly common for the drive gear pin to shear or the teeth to break. I'm looking at different solutions at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by horsewidower
            The achilles heel on these engines is the stock oil drive system. Its disappointingly common for the drive gear pin to shear or the teeth to break. I'm looking at different solutions at the moment.
            I that what broke on-track to cause the engine to run bad?

Hubers had this problem, A LOT. I am not sure how they cured it... but I don't think they run an external pump. We really should get you on a conference call with Papa Jon. He's such a badass.
            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Yep, it was flat flying until this problem raised its ugly head again. I've had some correspondence with the Melling folks on the oil pumps, and they told me that they cavitate at 3,000 to 3,500 pump rpm. That sucks, thats where I hold it coming down the straights.

Right now the fix I'm contemplating is the purchase of new Aux shaft, new cam synch gear and new lower volume oil pump, have them all ebc treated and lap in the gears on the aux shaft and cam synch gear. You can't mix and match new gears with old gears, they really need to be run in together or they won't mesh properly.

I'm also contemplating trying out a $70 dollar used NASCAR external belt driven rear-end pump with an external pressure relief valve to see if I can make that work. I've gotten the specs on the lobe size vs. stock SVO stuff and think it might work great. Otherwise a single stage external pump runs about $400 and up. The no dry sump rule is costing me money.

Comment

Originally posted by horsewidower
                The no dry sump rule is costing me money.
                Who would have ever thought that'd be the case with a rule.

The Cat in the Hat never had problems with dry sumped 2.3's in the IMSA days.

I know the 2.3L circle track boys in the east love the Canton pan that Speedway sells, for its anti-cavitation in the corners, at high RPM.

Bob, is your crank knife edged cut?

Comment

No, not knife edged. Stock as the day is long.

I run the Kevko pan, not thrilled with the quality, but I had to cut it up anyhow to make it fit correctly. It is baffled, but I think when I pull the engine down I'm going to add a screen and maybe a scraper. If we are having problems with oil pump cavitation, which is possible per Mellings technical service manager, then reducing air entrainment would be helpful.

Comment

Very nice pony...
                    Jeff
                    Follow My Build

Comment

hey horsewidower and mustang13 have either of you guys read anywhere about anyone running a 2.3 out of say a 89 and turbocharging it? I was thinking if it was possible to trick the factory computer with out running a stand alone engine management system. I like your guys turbo 4 cars and my first car i bought <without "daddys" money> was a 89 notch 4 banger and thought i would build one and learn some turbo stuff on the 4 cyl before i try doing my 5.0

I just thought that the 4 cyl might be the less expensive route for now.

Just for the record if i could afford buying a 2011 5.0 motor it would be meant to be

And keep up the good work
                      Jeff
                      Follow My Build

Comment

Factory Non-turboed 2.3's are alittle soft on the inside to take alot of boost but, I think 5-6psi or so would be OK. An SVO/factory Turbo/Turbo Coupe long block would be best to start with.

The turbo set-up on the older cars like mine use a draw threw carb and would be easy to install on an EFI car. You could add a mechanical fuel pump on the engine, MSD ignition with an older Duraspark type distributor, and have the engine running with just one wire to hook up which would power to the MSD box. My take on the easy path to a cheap turbo 2.3L.

I happen to have a spare intake/turbo/carb set-up if your interested ;D

Comment

I agree with Mustang13.

Tread lightly if you intend to turbo an NA 2.3.

Comment

Went to an SCCA double regional this weekend. Just tagging along with a buddy that had volunteered to announce at the event. I had dropped my membership in the SCCA a couple of years ago due to some jackassery by the board and stewards. Plus when I was crewing for a super production car we had a competitor sabotage the car by placing a flat razor blade over one of the carb venturi.

It was an interesting day, somehow the volunteer coordinator, a delightful gal who is a true asset, had both of us down as volunteers seeking a discipline to involve ourselves with. So we spent the morning walking around and talking to the various Chiefs about their work.

The one thing that struck me is that the SCCA is dying, literally. The median age of the sound crew is 78. That's not a misprint. For most disciplines, at my age of almost 50, my participation would drop the median age.

The difficulty for the SCCA is that it is a volunteer organization, so how does it move aside the ancient Chiefs and draw in new blood? My buddy's experience was instructive. He went up to try his hand at announcing (he's not new at it, he's announced for high school sports) and immediately had the ancient and monotoned voiced Chief sit him down and basically pee all over his leg and the equipment for the next 30 minutes, making certain that this young 36 year old guy knew who was boss. The volunteer coordinator asked me how my buddy was doing and I was very blunt about the hosing my buddy was taking. She wasn't shocked, she had been getting volunteers that were interested in the discipline that quickly changed to another one by the end of one experience. There is no mechanism to move the older guys out to get some newer blood in. And I'm not talking about room for 20 year-olds, I'm talking about room for guys in their late thirties and forties. My buddy got chastised for being too loud during the one race he was allowed to call cause he woke up a napping chief steward in the same room.

Now let's be clear, the volunteers are an essential portion of the SCCA's operation, and the vast majority of them are hard-working, enthusiastic supporters. Even the fossilized folks are of the opinion that they are doing what is in the best interest of the organization and the "racers." But like any other volunteer organization, there must be new blood infused to keep the body healthy and growing. But there has to be a place for those new people, and peeing in every corner to establish territory will cause newbies to move on. Somehow the SCCA needs to adopt a method of rotating the responsiblities in order to eradicate the fiefdoms that get created in some of the disciplines. Then you can avoid the problem of "firining" a volunteer. Of course all of this is harder to deal with than me walking around for a day, observing, and commenting on the issues. Shooting off my "mouth" here is so much easier than working in an organization to create change .

I think that amateur roadracing in the USA is starting to stratify, open-wheel and sports racers at the SCCA and tin-tops to NASA. As I looked at the tin-tops that weekend 90% were Mazdas and of those 80% were Miatas. Not a single EVO, Subey and only a couple of Hondas. Again, there is no place to race a newer turbo-4 in the SCCA, but they continue classes for MGs, and Sprites etc, cause that's what the older guys are interested in. Not many big bore cars, either. A couple of Mustangs, a couple of Camaros. One very bitching tube framed '70s Comet that lapped the big bore field. Man that thing was awesome. But it had no competition.

My best racing buddy gave up his membership in the "Secret" Car Club of America last year, after 35 years. His level of disgust with the ossification in their ranks and their glacial pace (if even that!) at trying to respond to the changing market place couldn't be overcome.

At the time I decided to drop my membership in the SCCA, their membership numbers had been declining for a while. Unless they find a way to encourage more youthful membership (remember, in this context 40 would be youthful!) I fear that they will continue to decline. They badly need to address their car classing, so that today's vehicles can run. And they need to create a ladder system. NASA's HPDE creates a way for people to get their feet wet, without taking the jump off the cliff that full W2W constitutes. It is the genius of the NASA business model.

Me, what did I do for the day? I joined as a volunteer. What you say? Hell, I can gain credits towards free open test days. Free is my favorite price, and given how often the Blue Bitch is on jackstands, I should have some credits saved up by the time I need to test.

I'm a craven bastard. And for once I'll be the youngest guy in the room!!

Comment

^^^^ THAT was an awesome read Bob. Really well done.

I've shared the story of the UMass motorsports club and our lil' VW Rabbit that we raced all over the damned place with the SCCA. At the time they had the "Speed Freaks" membership for younger people that was at a reduced rate or whatever. I spent months, a couple years actually, screaming and yelling about what we were doing at UMass and how it could be done all over the country with a little help from the SCCA. I saw the same thing at the track...lots of old guys (comparatively speaking to my then 20-year old self). Our model was a PERFECT way to get a group of young guys into the deal and having fun.

I got nothing and even got kind of chastised for trying to promote ourselves and what we were doing. It would have been a great story, but apparently we were just an annoying group of guys.

EVERY SINGLE GUY IN THE CLUB WHO WAS OUT RACING THE CAR HAS HAD THEIR MEMBERSHIP LAPSE....they lost us all.

My first announcing gigs outside of the strip were at SCCA events. I had basically the same thing happen Bob, luckily, I nodded my head, pretended to give a shit and mentally prepared myself to be "fired" because I kept on doing exactly what I had done before the Chief Steward "educated me". At the end of the day, one of the race control guys said that he hadn't heard someone having fun on the mic in forever.

The racers were all awesome. I went into the deal thinking that road racing a VW was totally gay and that drag racing was IT. I really fell in love with the whole scene (aside from the SCCA management) in a hurry. Parting company with the little car was a sad day. Funny thing is that the guys in the pits could do a WAY better job running the show than the guys who have been doing it since they actually produced those slow ass H/Production Sprites!

Brian
                              That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Bump for an update... How is the car coming?

Comment

Working...
                                X