No announcement yet.

Turbo-4 '89 Mustang roadrace coupe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Turbo-4 '89 Mustang roadrace coupe.

Should have some positive stuff after Labor Day weekend. I've got to yank the engine, clean all the oil passages and install the new oil pump, and drive gears. Hopefully we didn't toast any bearings, we'll see at the teardown.

Comment

Bump. Updates?
      Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

The current program has been interrupted by an economic downturn, you're regularly scheduled programming will return, when unemployment drops, consumer confidence returns, retail numbers rise and my wallet starts to fill...

But...if I dabble with it in the meantime I'll post.

Thanks for your interest.

Comment

Man I hate when this happens! :-\ One of my favorite programs too!

Comment

Haha.

I'll see what I can do.

Comment

Maybe some reruns? ;D
              Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

Nice!!

Comment

One of our looming issues is a pending change in engine. We're not sure we want to sink more money in an obsoleted design with certain inherent weaknesses.

We are contemplating switching to the new 3.7 double over head cam Ford V6. Stock it meets our horsepower and torque goals. It weighs a lot less, we figure with engine weight, removal of the turbo and intercooler and a reduction in radiator size we might lose 300-400 lbs off the nose of the car. We think it will be far more reliable, far more fuel efficient, parts will be readily available, and they should be plentiful in the junkyards, nobody will want them so they should be cheap. I just need to decide if we want to go with the Mustang or truck version.

Nothing takes the wind out of your sales more than constant, unabating, unreliability. My buddy,who works for HPD building IRL engine and Midget engines professionally, gave up and went back to a SBF. If he can't make it work, than I have to consider whether or not I can make the turbo pinto work.

So, there is a method to my madness. Time will tell whether we give this one more shot, or pile what little change I've got into a new direction.

(Well, that and the EMC and the Bonneville projects, focus Bob, focus)

Comment

focus can be very illusive.

good you're thinking out of the box and not getting tunnel vision.

Is there a race series that still uses the pinto base I4 you could readily sell your stuff to?

The 3.7 NA is available in the flex and MKT too - not just the mustang, although finding a wrecked V6 mustang in a yard as a donor is likely more helpful than a flex/mkt as it would give you a RWD transmission as well.
                    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I've still got 2 street cars that can use all the stuff, so it won't go to waste. I'm also playing with the Nitro 4 banger idea for a test subject. So the stuff will get used. I've already sold the ARCA head, damn near killed me, but realistically it was not going to get used.

I'm waiting on the Mustang and Truck version for the reason you state. Not having to build adapter plates to turn a FWD to a RWD application is a huge plus.

Comment

I've driven several of the V6 6spd auto mustangs, one in particular with a 3.31 axle.... in a light car the potential is there.

Unfortunately I don't know much about the internals, but I can see what I can find out for you once you get to that point, I may know someone that could help with calibration as well.
                        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

The 4banger has more sex appeal, especially from the dare to be different factor. But on that note I guess there arent too many entrants in the AI/AIX classes who run 6 bangers either. Regardless of the powerplant , the car is awesome.
                          Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
                            I've driven several of the V6 6spd auto mustangs, one in particular with a 3.31 axle.... in a light car the potential is there.

Unfortunately I don't know much about the internals, but I can see what I can find out for you once you get to that point, I may know someone that could help with calibration as well.
                            THAT WOULD ROCK!!!!!!

I agree that the turbo 4-banger has a certain sex appeal. And giving up the table top torque curve and easy tunability of the powercurve will be a bummer. But...its unreliable at the moment. Given that we aren't allowed a dry sump oiling system, I'm not certain that we can cure the issue. I've got a couple of thoughts on how we might fix it, and I've Cryo'd some parts to help the situation, but I'm not sure that it will solve the problem.

Nothing says that we couldn't turbo the V-6...

Comment

Forged crank and piston oilers, but I didn't see whether the pistons were forged. I'm very interested in one for a DD.

Comment

The turbo-4 has been given a one-year reprieve. We've decided to give it one more try. My buddy Geoff is going to have the short block rebuilt, than we'll go ahead and reinstall it in the car. I'll get some pics along the way, if I can sort out my computer situation.

If you want to follow along on facebook, look us up under "Grabaldi Racing"

Comment

Working...
                                X