Turbo-4 '89 Mustang roadrace coupe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Racin in '09 or its for sale.

Damn, dyno guy couldn't find me a slot until the 26th. I really appreciate his help and have to slot in when he doesn't have a paying customer. So I shouldn't complain.

That rules out the Time Trial I was going to use to shake out the car on the 25th. Now I have to decide whether or not to wring it out at a race on the 7th and 8th of November, which I said I'd never do, or drop down into the HPDE 3 group and run there. Unfortunately that would be a pain in the ass, I'd just end up riding around seeing what will shake loose. I'm not going to like them, and they aren't going to like me. But its the last chance this season.

Back out to the garage to finish getting things together for the Tech Inspector.

Bob

Comment

Hmmm, guess I'm going to have to sell it ;)

Comment

Passed inspection and got the logbook signed off through 2010. A couple of items to address, but nothing major.

If everything goes well on the dyno on the 26th looks like we'll go to the open test day at Thunderhill on December 3rd. We'll be going up there anyhow to watch the 25 hours of Thunderhill on that Saturday and Sunday.

Bob

Comment

Worked on a couple of items today. Rerouted the lines to the boost controller and wastegate, now they get their vacuum or boost from the manifold instead of the compressor. Fixed a radiator leak, an exhaust leak, did a permanent mount on the boost gauge. I still have an oil leak coming off the bottom of the turbo, at the drain. I'm starting to think the flange isn't flat and needs to be flattened on my reference block.

I'll load it up tomorrow for the trip to the dyno on Monday.

Comment

Nice work, even a starter to the face didn't slow you down.

Hope you're reminded of why all this work is worth it when you fly around that track.
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
              Nice work, even a starter to the face didn't slow you down.
              It'll buff out...

;D

Wish me luck, gonna go pickup the truck and haul it over to the dyno at about 3:00. Hope I have good things to report this evening.

Bob

Comment

No joy this evening. Car is on the dyno, but Stu was wrapped up in completing a couple of customer cars. We'll see how things go tomorrow.

Bob

Comment

Nothing happened this week, not a damn thing. Pulled the car on the dyno on Monday, haven't started it since. Stu's been slammed with work and has needed to spend the evenings getting customer's cars done. I was hoping to get a call from him this weekend to go and tune, but no joy. I'm hoping next week will bring some good new on the project.

The schedules starting to get full, next weekend we'll be taking the TW Miata to Sears Point for HPDE duty both days. Got a couple of buddy's that are going to run. The week after that we'll be a Thunderhill for a 24 hours of LeMons event. A week or two after that we're supposed to take the Mustang to Thunderhill for an open test day and then we'll stay the weekend to watch the NASA 25 hours of Thunderhill. And there are a couple of other projects on the horizon that I need to make some time for. This is going to be a busy winter.

Bob

Comment

Here we are two weeks later and I have....nothing to report. Car is still sitting on the dyno, hasn't even been started. Still no firm date on doing the tuning.

Last week we took the Miata to Sears Point. Beat the crap out of it and it just kept going. About 250 miles of on track action, never skipped a beat. What a great little POS to give people track time.

The guys convinced me to drive at the Azz freezeapoloosa Lemons Event next week at Thunderhill. Then I find out its 168 cars on a 3 mile course. Great, nothing like a 12 hour traffic jam that you paid to be in!! Ah well, any day racing is better than...any other day!!

Bob

Comment

Bob, just started looking through the project cars thread(can't believe I never checked it out before, Thanks to John and Seth talking about it at the BS East Feast, I will from now on).

Your Pony sooo awesome. Anything painted in Gulf Racing livery is bitchin' in my book. I love the fact you did a 4 holer in stead of the well traveled 5.0 path.

Living an hour from Watkins Glen, I need to build something like your car. Good Luck in the future!!!!
                      Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Glad you liked it. Its been quite the journey.

Comment

Yup. This is one of my favorite rides on here. I too know the ups and downs of racing albeit extremely low budget. Can't wait to hear some good news on this thing. Don't sell it.
                          Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

I won't sell it, I'll keep plugging along.

IF we can't get the turbo to work to our requirements for reliability we have a couple of options. Drop in a V8. Probably the cheapest and easiest fix. Or take my aluminum ARCA head, throw on some webers and mate it with a 14:1 short block and see if we can be competitive. That would have the added advantage of dropping about 200lbs of turbo, intercooler, oversized radiator, etc off the front end. Car would weigh sub 2,000 lbs dry.

Bob

Comment

ARCA head for those that aren't familiar with it:

Comment

That thing oughta flow something pretty fierce! :o
                                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                                X