No announcement yet.

Turbo-4 '89 Mustang roadrace coupe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Turbo-4 '89 Mustang roadrace coupe.

If that Pinto motor gets scrapped in the future, send whats left to the right side of the Country, and I'll punish it one parking lot Autocross at a time, it should stay together that long ;D.

The new V6 Mustang seems a very interesting option to try in NASA. The S197 platform is rigid for sure but, alot of heft there too. Not like the ballerina light trunklid FOX.
    Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

That's why you put the light V6 in the light fox body. ;D

Comment

It shouldn't be long before they start showing up at LKQ... I would love to see this. It's a dainty little firecracker. It's a 60* engine?

Comment

Originally posted by horsewidower
          The turbo-4 has been given a one-year reprieve. We've decided to give it one more try. My buddy Geoff is going to have the short block rebuilt, than we'll go ahead and reinstall it in the car. I'll get some pics along the way, if I can sort out my computer situation.

If you want to follow along on facebook, look us up under "Grabaldi Racing"
          Wise choice I think. Just need a little more development, you only really broke it once anyways. :-)
          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Slick
            It shouldn't be long before they start showing up at LKQ... I would love to see this. It's a dainty little firecracker. It's a 60* engine?
            Yes, 60 degree V, aluminium block and heads. Built in the Cleveland Engine Plant, IIRC. I've driven a V6 auto ragtop we had at the dealership, pretty impressive. Didn't get a chance to try a V6 stick coupe.

cheers
            Ed N.
            Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
            07 Mustang GT with some stuff
            88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
              The turbo-4 has been given a one-year reprieve. We've decided to give it one more try. My buddy Geoff is going to have the short block rebuilt, than we'll go ahead and reinstall it in the car. I'll get some pics along the way, if I can sort out my computer situation.

Wise choice I think. Just need a little more development, you only really broke it once anyways. :-)
              Well, if you don't count the 4 broken piston incident, or the blown headgasket (s) or...

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek

Well, if you don't count the 4 broken piston incident, or the blown headgasket (s) or...
                It's not going to kill headgaskets or pistons anymore. This I know.
                www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Yanked the engine out, finally. Now we just need to do a little R&R. We'll also do some wiring changes, looking at relocating the hydraulic reservoirs, changing where we have the breather tanks, fix the damage from when the rear wing took flight and various other things.

We'll get back to the track with it this year.

Comment

Finally got started on the R&R, things aren't as bad as I thought.

Yanked the cam cover, no damage. Whew, thought we wiped a cam lobe or two. Everything looked clean as new and no damage to cam or valvetrain.

Dropped the pan and it was full of metal. After we took it off, we flipped the engine over on engine stand and looked at the bottom end. everything was clean. We pulled the main/thrust bearing and it was showing copper on the thrust surface. ???

I yanked the oil pump to do a post mortem, and found that it was the wrong pump. Damn. M86c HV, which is the high volume pump. That's bad for these engines. The dizzy shaft and auxiliary gears eat their teeth when subjected to the loads of a high volume pump, especially when they can accelerate as quickly as the Mustang, which has a flyweight flywheel and 5.5 clutch. I'll be replacing it with an M127 pump, which is a later model improved pump. It has the pressure relief valve moved to the cover side of the pump, which is supposed to fix the cavitation problem of the original design. I'll still port the new pump and get it ready to install. It'll also require some changes to the pickup.

I hope to be on track in 60 days.

Comment

Glad to hear that things aren't too bad. That's an interesting (but unfortunate) note about the oil pump. I'm going to write that one down. I've never wanted to build a 2.3 Turbo notchback so bad until I saw this car!

Good luck with prep.

Comment

What weight oil do you run Bob. To bad NASA wouldn't let the rules say a 4 banger could run a dry sump, after all, they don't make any power so what would it hurt ;D I'll sign the petition to the rule makers will ya!
                        Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

The rulemakers have been screwing with me since I started this build. No love there, not even a kiss.

.007 thrust clearance. I'm wondering if the copper I'm seeing on the thrust bearings is just the engine builder's attempt to get the thrust within spec.

Pan's going in to get boiled, not taking any chance of getting any metal in the new pump.

Here's the game plan.

Pull down the new pump, port it, blue print it and get it installed.
                          Install an external oiling line to spray on the gear interface.
                          Install a water and an oil heater. (we have the in block water heater in a box ready to install)

Put it back together and run it.

Comment

Just re-read this whole thing again and just wanted to say that you got to get this thing going again.... There are just to many people watching it and cheering you on from the computer screen for this to fail! I have gathered that it has been frustrating for all the break downs and bugs you have had, but they are all out of the way now so you can get some seat time right?

Keep the faith alive!!

I expect updates and pictures withing 4 days!! ;)
                            Jeff
                            Follow My Build

Comment

Well, 4 days might be a stretch, I'm at Knott's for Fabulous Fords this weekend. Its an annual get together for my west coast SVO club guys. I'll be posting picks.

Next weekend we take the Cockroach, our Miata open track car, up to Thunderhill for its first thrashing since replacing all the bushings, the sway bars and going to adjustable shocks and coil overs. Also we'll be running on RA-1 slicks. Big change from the stock with cage that we were doing with it last year. I'm just crew chiefing, but it'll be fun to play with the set up after the driver gets used to the new suspension.

So I'll get to it pretty soon.

Comment

Just busting your chops a little bit.

And yes we want pictures from knott's and I would like to see the TW miata.
                                Jeff
                                Follow My Build

Comment

Working...
                                X