Cantvalve16's '64 Ranchero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cantvalve16's '64 Ranchero

I agree with Milner - clear the aluminum... even though it won't make a bit of difference to you; the next guy will be praising your name when it doesn't stain..... and who knows, you more slow enough this car will be done just in time to replace the 454 Crew cab ;D
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Just thought I would bring this one back from the dead. I have been slowly chipping away at getting this car back together as money and time allow. I will let the pictures do most of the talking so her we go.

As you can see, the car has been spray bombed in flat black. The body has a long way to go before being ready for paint, but since I stripped almost all the paint off, I needed a thin protective coat that could easily be sanded off when it was time to get back at the sanding and filling.

After stripping the engine compartment and doing a little patch work, I painted the it all with Rustoleum Satin Black. It hold up and touches up well and doesn't get chalky over time. Not to mention being easy to clean. Now the engine compartment is ready to recieve it's new heart.

In this next photo, you will see that the heads on the 302 are painted the same color as the engine. That is because they are a rebuilt set of stock E7's. I sold the TrickFlow heads and rockers for a bit more than I paid for them, bought the rebuilt stockers and a handfull of other misc. parts including: some used door panels, a better gauge cluster, primer for the body, good used glass, and all sorts of other stuff.

And this last photo shows the painted floor as well as the T5 Hurst shifter sticking through the floor. That was a big moment for me when I bolted up the shifter handle and sat down in the driver seat to check out placement. It's perfect and was very exciting.

So, fire away with the questions and comments. I know I left out lots of details. Squeezing in time to work on it is kind of tough right now, but it is slowly coming together. Next is making a trans. crossmember, fitting the headers, bending up some brake and fuel lines followed by final mounting the seats. (sigh) I gotta lot to do.
      Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

So, how many hours were in the driver's seat grabbing gears, making engine noises, and pretending you were street racing on Van Nuys?
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Lookin good Brian.
          Hauling ass & sucking gas are the best uses for a truck.

Comment

No hours, but i did get a few minutes of rowing gears and making full throttle noises. After my wife and I had been in bed a few minutes, I got up and told her I was going to the garage to shift and make car noises. She laughed and said,"At least you're honest about it".

Thanks for the complement, trucklver.
            Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

The satin Rustoleum looks perfect (we call it Tremclad in Canada). As much as I love flat black, it gets chalky, as you say.

The sheetmetal looks very straight.

Comment

Good to see the update.

Dan

Comment

nice work!
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

It's great that you are working on it no matter how long it takes...keep up the good work brother.
                    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

It's coming along. Thanks for the encouragement, fellas.
                      Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

Last weekend, I finished with modifying the driver's header. It was made for early falcons with a small block, but if you throw a T5 bellhousing into the mix.. it's a no go. So, I ground down the bellhousing a bit and had a tube moved at a local exhaust shop. Anyway, it's all done and in. I also finished the transmission crossmember. Got a good start on bending the fuel line up as well.

Today, I finished getting the engine and trans all bolted in along with the headers bolted in with gaskets. This thing is a pain to work on with these headers. They are Blackjack headers that I got new in the box for $75.

Got some new parts from Ye Olde Summit. MSD coil, 110 gph fuel pump, and a Summit header back exhaust kit for an early Mustang. I started work on installing the exhaust. Looks like it's going to take a little cutting and welding to make it fit. I am going back and forth between installing the turbo mufflers that came with the kit and the Dynomax Super Turbos I have. Just going to have to see which ones fit best as the inlet/outlets are in different positions.

Still got a ways to go but I'm working away every chance I get. Usually on Fridays.
                        Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

How do you eat an elephant?

One bite at a time!

Nice work my friend.

Comment

Very nice work Brian. Whoever the new owner may be one day, will be a lucky dude. Super job on the floor tin, and the row-your-own stick looks to be spot on as well.

Although I am a aluminum and Ford blue fan with the likes of you and John, the purist in me likes seeing aluminum over black in early Ford iron, it'd be like peering under the hood of a 289 Cobra or K code car.

This car would be soooo bitchin' with a paint scheme done to match an A/FX Falcon team from 64', or as a Shelby American shop truck ( the real one was a wagon).
                            Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

I thought long and hard about the black engine block thing. What stopped me is that it's so hard to see leakage against black and that there is already so much black on the car. I wanted something a little brighter without looking too custom.

The body will remain black primer for a while. We will see what the future holds for this car. I'm thinking red with a red or tan interior. My wife is thinking purple metallic. I don't have a problem with purple except that I have seen very few inexpensive metallic paint jobs that come out even and not blotchy.

Since the rear quarters are butchered anyway, I keep thinking of radiusing the wheel wells. I really want to cut them and stuff some nice 255/60 tires under there on the existing 15 x7 wheels. Thoughts?
                              Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

IFF the wheel wells are already toast - then I'd for sure radius them - it's a great look.

Comment

Working...
                                X