Cantvalve16's '64 Ranchero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cantvalve16's '64 Ranchero

John, the wheel wells could probably be repaired by someone more skilled than I. The quarters need to be replaced though. Too many years of different bad bodymen (myself included). It would come out better to just replace the quarters all together. That being said, I am not ready to do that yet and have had a hankering for a Two Lane Blacktop look for this thing for a long time.

With all this turbo talk going around, how cool would it be to set up some twins and a blow through carb and drag race my way across the country? Just a thought. No, this one is going to stay nice and simple so I can afford to make it to some events instead of spending money to be in the garage working my butt off.
    Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

Originally posted by cantvalve16

With all this turbo talk going around, how cool would it be to set up some twins and a blow through carb and drag race my way across the country? Just a thought.
      It's contagious huh?!?!
      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Oh ya, it's contagious alright. But if I don't keep my automotive hormones in check, I'm gonna contagious myself into the poor house! LOL.
        Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
          IFF the wheel wells are already toast - then I'd for sure radius them - it's a great look.
          X2
          Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

If I wind up keeping the car or it needs rear tires, then I will probably end up radiusing them. Gonna try and ride things out on the old tires for a while to save some dough. Main objective is getting it running right now.

Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

VICTORY! YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Ladies and gentlemen..... it runs. I have never owned a car that has been apart as long as this one. A year and half this car has sat unused in my garage. My wife hasn't been real thrilled with that because it's been "freeloading". I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now. At this point, there are a few small issues to work out just like any other new build, but it runs and runs smooth.

I know, I know. We need video, right? I'm not sure my digital camera is up to the task, so my cell phone might have to do. I'll see what I can come up with this weekend.

Wow, what a great feeling. I was beginning to feel like this one was never ending.
              Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

A big high five from the motor city!

Well done my friend!

Great work! YEEEEEHAAAAA!

How much more work needs to be done before you can take her on her maiden voyage?
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Let's see here:

1) Fix the fan that's tagging the radiator fins
                  2) Fix an exhaust leak
                  3) Finish hanging driver side exhaust
                  4) Install master cylinder and new brake line
                  5) Install cable clutch linkage
                  6) Remove passenger side upper A-arm (new) and fix the ball joint boot that keeps popping off
                  7) Alignment
                  8) Put lights, bumper, and grille back on
                  9) Fit drive shaft
                  10) Bolt down seats and seat belts
                  11) Tighten alt. belt

And a few other odds and ends. Hearing it run sure gives a new burst of energy to get it together though.

By the way, John: That Edelbrock carb from the 'Bu is working like a champ.
                  Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

Glad to hear it!

Actually - that carb was on my 351W ski boat when I bought it - I took it off cleaned it and stored it - then when Seth showed up with the 305 having carb issues - we put it on there.... then when he went with the 454... it went back in storage.

I'm a big fan of the edelbrocks from an ease of use stand point.... this carb is great evidence of why.... several different engines - same carb, all ran well with minimal adjustments - and no leaks.... or parts changes!

hope it serves you well for many smiling miles!

Comment

Way to go Brian.
                      Hauling ass & sucking gas are the best uses for a truck.

Comment

Well, here are some update engine pics. Still trying to get some details squared away in the engine compartment. Running all new brake line on the car as well as rewiring.

The rewiring came about because I couldn't bear the thought of putting all this work into the car and crossing my fingers due to the already questionable rat's nest under the dash. Pretty sure Ray Charles tried his hand at wiring this car at one time. I pulled out the handful of partially burned underdash wiring. In it's place will go a used (but very nice) harness I got from Ebay for $35 a few months ago. Even came with switches and connectors. The factory harness tape is still in place.

There are a bunch of pesky little tasks to be completed like milling down the engine fan spacer, relocating the battery (again), bolting down the seats, repairing a new balljoint (boot keeps coming off), and what seems like an armload of other tasks to be grappled into submission before the first test flight. (sigh)

But it's getting there. It does run... and smooth I might add. Revs fine. I got the clutch working. You will see the Mustang Steve cable clutch kit on the firewall. Just fighting every troll of task on this car only to be faced by another one. But it runs... smooth I might add. Did I mention it runs? Smooth?

Though it may not seem so, I'm excited that it's getting there. I am doing this on this car I've never done. And I've never done all these things to one car before. It has been and extraordinary battle for me. The balance between life and hobby has been a fight, though with gratifying results. But I digress. On to the pics.

In this photo (below), you can see my custom radiator brackets. Yeah, I'm rockin' the brackets I robbed from a broken CB radio before I threw it out.

Don't fear. The wiring is in testing and rewiring stage. It will be consolidated and wrapped before it's all done.

In this shot, you can see the Mustang Steve firewall brace for the clutch cable. It uses a stock 5.0 adjustable clutch cable. Cool stuff. Clutch seems to work well.

Once i get the wiring done, I will try to figure out how to get a decent video done. With no wiring comes silence.

Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

NICE!

I must admit the wiring pic made me go :o until I read the temporary bit LOL

That's going to be a great toy!
                          A.K.A. Brian
                          Jack of many trades-master of none

Comment

Ya, I only set it up like that long enough to get it started and make sure I had all the new wiring hooked to the right things. I am notorious for doing a clean job wiring things up only to have tear back into it to fix a crossed wire or to. Trying to avod that this time. The goal is to barely see the wiring. Bundle and hide. Bundle and hide.
                            Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

Wiring takes a clear head and patience.... one day at a time brother - you're getting there.

I hope to have some ranger progress pics after this weekend. :

Comment

Bangshifters.... I drove it. Got a bunch of little bugs to work out still, but it is driveable. There is nothing like putting down the street on the maiden voyage after years of toil on a car that only fights back.

After greasing the front end and eyeballing the alignment, I needed to turn the car around in the garage. I thought,
                                "Hey, I've got brakes, steering, and all the pedals function. Why not take it down the block a little."
                                What a feeling. The exhaust note crisp as the autumn air flooding in through the windows. The faint whine coming from the row your own. A light chattering in the new Spec clutch. Imperfection here and there. Dually noted. All systems go for a little throttle and a generous helping of second gear.
                                Ease off the stop sign, through the dip in the intersection, clutch in but rolling from momentum... then it happened.

It seems that every gearhead has a touch of Mr. Hyde lying dormant within. For the last couple years he has made attempts to awaken, but alas, there is no outlet. No hot rod to throttle. But today... today is different.

My heart began pumping as a belt driven accessory as the throttle fluctuated. With the clutch in and my right foot feeling a little heavy, the small block revved to 3k, and almost mechanically my left foot popped off the clutch. There was a howling of increasing proportions. Was that the tiny hard tires or.. was it me.

I let off the throttle to let the tires catch up, and grabbed for second and a second helping of throttle. A maniacal laughing was heard neighborhood wide. And then, the upright citizen that is the exterior me came from behind and sunk in a deep rear necked choke on Mr. Hyde and placed him back where he belongs. Subdued until a time when a more remote location can be secured for unbridled hooning. Where crying of rubber, nashing of gears, and unhindered laughter will be all that is heard.
                                Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

Working...
                                X