Cantvalve16's '64 Ranchero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cantvalve16's '64 Ranchero

Here are the first pics of my '64 Ranchero project. I was looking for an old pickup to haul my handyman tools from jobsite to jobsite. My wife hated it, but this is the one that fit our budget and circumstances. There is some floor rust and a little rust by the passenger side rear wheel.

The interior... well, there is a seat. The steering wheel is way too small with no power steering and a 351w over the front.

The Windsor is in good running shape, but needs a gasket kit bad. C4 trans shifts just great and the 8 in. doesn't wine in the least.

Future plans were to swap in my Trick Flow headed 302, but I am selling the heads to help out with our saving for a house. So, the 302 (stock heads) will be swapped in once my pre- arranged buyer comes to get the 351w. Unless my whole 302 sells... then the 351 stays. I hope to put a t-5 trans in it once the structural and suspension issues are sorted out. With that little steering wheel and worn out front suspension, this thing is a bear to steer without the issue of clutching and shifting.

I believe the wheels are U.S. Supremes. I like them on the car, but it needs more tire. I want to cut the rear wheelwells out bigger to fit a 255/60 on those 7 in. wide wheels. It will be my first time cutting the body on my own car. Either that or radius and flare the front and rear to put meat under there for handling. I haven't decided. I do some field repair on trucks, so I may have to give it a nose high stance to move around in the dirt a little.

Favorite part about the car is that it is very simple. No EFI, climate control, power nothin'. Just rattles and wind noise. Don't have much into it and don't want to complicate it. Just make it a great driver with some power and noise.

Hope you enjoy. Thanks.

Bakersfield, CA.

Re: Cantvalve16's '64 Ranchero

I like it!!
    Hauling ass & sucking gas are the best uses for a truck.

Comment

Very, very cool!
      1997 Ranger 5.0L HO, GT40 heads/tubular intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, B303, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster mufflers, T5 trans, Tri-Ax shifter, CenterForce Dual Friction clutch, 8.8 Traction Lok 3.55 gears, Cobra 13" front brakes, Cobra 11.65" rear discs.
      1997 Mustang GT
      sigpic

Comment

Definitely my favorite Ranchero. I'd love to have one of these. Of course I'd put a Turbo 4 in it. ;D

Comment

Very Nice....

Simple is good.

Seth
          200 mph or bust.......

Comment

The pics don't show it, but I learned about the whole Comet wash thing on this car. I could see red through the primer, so I gave it a shot. Now the car is about half red/primer/w/ tans flecks from previous paint. I like the old red better than the primer so it will stay until I am ready for the bodywork side of things.
            Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

That is a pretty cool. Will you have to rig up a box or tonneau cover to hide your tools?

Comment

Always wanted to do a rancho t bolt style cool project

Comment

Originally posted by brn agn
                  That is a pretty cool. Will you have to rig up a box or tonneau cover to hide your tools?
                  They actually still make tonneau's for this truck.

Comment

Cool. That interior could be done up on the cheap...I bet for 50 bucks you could do up some panels cover themm in vinal.......might make the wife hate it less.....cool car

Comment

Actually, I either unload the tools or park in the garage when loaded. My tool box fits behind the seat (that area is big) so it stays out of eye site. I like the bed open so I can carry a 16 ft. ladder when needed. Some tools also fit in the built in tool box below the floor of the bed next to where I relocated my battery.

I am trying to avoid building a ladder rack for it as that would kinda hurt the way I like the car to look. I don't mind scratching it up, but don't want the whole work truck look. I do still have to find a tailgate for it though.

Originally posted by jerrys96lt4
                      Always wanted to do a rancho t bolt style cool project

I totally think of T-bolts and other '60's drag race Fords when I look at this car. I also think road race. Due to it's incomplete state, I don't have any reservations about cutting and hacking. Why should I? Somebody else has already been hacking away at it.
                      Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

If you are gonna cut and hack, why not drop a 4.6 and a 5 speed in it from a 'stang. Pleany of power and good on gas.

Comment

I am really not into the whole mod motor thing. They just don't ring my bell. The closest I would come to that would be some sort of LS1 conversion. Look for this one to stay small block Ford powered though.

Later down the road, some sort of stroked Windsor would be just pure animal. Actually, with enough cubes, overdrive, and some taller gears there could be all kinds of racing. LSR, drag, road race........ Pikes Peak..... ice drags. Oh, who am I kidding? This will probably be like all the others.... complete street car that is fun to drive. That's my M.O.
                          Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

thats coool-stroke that 351 to 408 and hammer it!!
                            67 Fairlane 434 ci/464 hp/488 tq-RIP
                            05 GTO torrid red/red gut, LS2, Auto (my knees hurt!)

Comment

Such a nice body style; love those rear wheel openings.

If you have access to a welder, you could put some square tube receivers up against the headgate that aren't too visible. You could then fab an H-shaped ladder holder that drops in when needed. You could either place the end of the ladder against the tailgate (when you find one), or build a second ladder holder at the rear of the bed. It could be low-pro enough to just miss the roofline when in use.

Comment

Working...
                              X