Remy-Z's '92 Explorer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remy-Z's '92 Explorer

Just acquired this thing this week for $400. Not a bad rig (once you get past the automatic lock-the-keys-in feature). Has some rust at the front of the rear wheelwells, but for the price you can't beat it. Not sure if the 4x4 is working or not, but the pushbutton system isn't filling me with confidence. I'm not sure if it's just the light out or if the system is FUBAR. This is the first 4x4 I've owned, the second SUV.

Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Re: Remy-Z's '92 Explorer

Have a 94 almost identical to that one. The stock auto hubs suck, so plan on swapping to the warn manuals for about 200 bucks (or junkyard). but they're a lot of fun. Ive been airborne a few too many times in ours, but thats a different issue...

The engine will last forever, the trans is a different issue. But overall a great suv

Comment

$400? Remy, you theif.
      Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

This a 5.0, or the 4.0 V-6?

Not exactly Rubicon material, but a cool around-town cruiser and decent for camping/mild trail stuff.

$400?

Screaming-ass deal...good on ya.

Comment

Good score. Well played.

Comment

4.0 V6...IIRC the 5.0 didn't come out until after the body refresh in '95. Not planning on much past mudding and basic trail running right now, but who knows? Wife likes it so it may stay around. Really, other than the light rust and slighly overzealous sound system wiring (and the gay rims, and the ugly-ass pushbar, and the thing on the roof...LOL) it's really sound. Only thing I am worried about is that I'm now sure that 4WD is NOT engaging with the pushbutton. I'm afraid to look at that...
            Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

4x4 not working (91-94) The purpose of this thread is to consolidate troubleshooting information in one area so people can find the correct information quickly. It is not intended to become a huge run on thread where people ask questions as this would defeat it's purpose. Questions should be...

Comment

Good chance its your shift motor

This is a general how-to thread for fixing the transfer case shift motor for the 4X4 models. Many posts on this site have been great sources of information, but pictures are worth thousands of words. I wanted to put something up for people to point others to when they have 4X4 problems. So...

Comment

I like the thing on the roof ;).400$ :o .Its a lot of suv for the money ;D.Good for you.

Comment

Working...
                  X