'78 Regal Pre-project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '78 Regal Pre-project

Well I guess it's not a project yet since I don't own it yet but I'm working on that.
    1978 Buick Regal Coupe full stripper, straight bench, manual windows, manual locks, manual mirrors, no AC, solid roof, straight rear glass, 3.8L 2bbl V6, and a 4spd Sagninaw. Car has been sitting since 1990 so its going to need a full brake and tire overhaul and the current owner says the stock V6 is sick, probably a wiped cam lobe on the #3 Exhaust. No mater, I've been building a 4.1L V6 with a full forged rotating assembly, CNC ported heads, and a full roller valvetrain. Its destined to live in my '64 Riviera with either a Percision 6162BB turbo or a pair of GN stock turbos but the list of variables is a bit too long for that swap right now despite the Riv's sick nailhead. Here's what I'm planning for BABs (Barely A Buick):
    My 4.1L turbo motor with no turbo with stock manifolds, use it to test out my hybrid gerotor oil pump/front cover design and my L67 ECM conversion.
    93+ S-10 T5 with V8 F-body guts for a useful 2.95 first gear in a transmission that has a shifter that clears the bench seat and VSS for the ECM
    3.42 7.5" 10-bolt since its not fancy but it would help get the car out of the hole a bit better
    98-05 Blazer 2WD front spindle assembly for 11.5" brakes and dual piston calipers
    S-10 5/8 bore rear wheel cylinders for a bit more rear brake grab
    84 T-type hydroboost mastercylinder and booster for more power and to test my Lee Manufacturing rebuilt pump
    T-type gas tank and pump
    GM Aluminum hood, decklid, and rear drums for maximum weight savings
    FE4 steering box and rear sway bar
    WS6 36mm hollow front sway bar
    F41 chassis bracing
    GNX rear seat brace
    Cap it all off with a set of black steelies and Buick poverty caps

What do ya'll think?
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Re: '78 Regal Pre-project

I think we've finally found someone who understands the value of shopping at the junkyard!

Interesting combination, sounds like it should work well.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

One of the nice/not so nice side effects of GM corporatization starting in the mid 60's.... interchangablity. Its amazing how interrelated stuff is accross the GM line up compared to how different stuff was just from full sized to full sized in the 60's. My newest kick is to attempt to make the best product out of what the factory put out. How nice of GM to use near identical spindles on the S-10 and G-body and the rear wheel cylinders bolt in. The evolution of the Buick V6 is also amazing, I'm using a gerotor oilpump timing cover section off of a 1999 Regal LS on my 1984 4.1L block. The oil feed passage from the pan rail pickup gallery is still in the same spot despite the shift to an on-center and lower deckheight block in 1992. I'm a MAF EFI junkie so I'm limited to factory stuff and since I don't want to be burning chips constantly I'm converting over to an OBDII flash based system with the L67 computer. Amazingly the same basic sensors are still in use from the 1984 SEFI Turbo6 so I'm able to use the LC2 cam sensor and TPS with the OBDII L67 stuff which inturn works with the LQ4 85mm MAF with built in IAT. So far the big hold ups are the crank sensor depths are different by about 3/8in, the IAC takes an adapter block, the L67 has 2 knock sensors (LC2 only has 1), and my first billet double roller chain doesn't clear the gerotor oilpump. Only that last one takes outside machine work. I look forward to do this project and taking it on Power Tour.
      Central TEXAS Sleeper
      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

CTX-SLPr is this project stiull in play? I just took the wife & daughter shopping at Opry Mills & Riverchase Mall in Nashville last Friday 7/25/08. The next day had them drop me off at Pull a part on Centinnial Blvd while they ate Shoney's off Briely Pkwy.....found a sweet set of hood hinges for my 86 Regal project for around $25.00. Later that day went to a tractor pull in Chapel Hill, TN.......Later.
        That steely eyed look I had behind the wheel was me trying see..........

Comment

Nah... this one got canned when the guy stopped calling back, I also was getting hesitant about it since it would have been a lot of trouble to get it here then get it working.

You just missed me, I was out in the Pull-a-Part on Saturday 26 Jul getting a 3.8L Taurus fan, coil bracket, a crossmember that I pulled off of a 3spd Muncie in the trunk of an 82 Grand Prix, and checking out the seats in a 97 Eldorado. I really like that yard, even have some old stuff out there.
          Central TEXAS Sleeper
          USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Working...
          X