1985 BBC S15 Jimmy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1985 BBC S15 Jimmy

I have a project thread started on another site, but I figured I would get one going here too.

But to catch you up to where I presently am with this project.

Picked this up off of craigslist.

Was trying to figure out what I wanted to do with it when I found this on Craigslist for a decent price.

Pulled out the interior and rolled the frame into the basement.

Any other BBC S-Truck I have seen has cut the crossmember where the pan hits it here.

But I found a pan that would fit without having to do this. Milodon #30970

The mounts I am currently using are these >>> http://www.s10v8.com/store/product_i...products_id/33 <<< with some modifications to bolt up on the driver's side of the block.
    They are one of the type of mounts that people use to put a SBC in an s-truck.
    I am currently using the set of holes that place the engine higher and have it slid all the way back. I will probably end up making my own set that only allow it to be in the "lower position" and all the way back.

As far as the firewall is concerned, it should fit the same as the SBC minus any difference between the distance between the trans mounting surface and the back of the heads on a SBC vs. a BBC.

The current plan is:
    Backhalf/4 link the truck in order to fit a big set of drag radials.
    Healthy n/a pump gas big block, built strong enough for a small amount of nitrous.

I will try to update my progress here as it slowly happens.

Re: 1985 BBC S15 Jimmy

Cool Im getting ready for my own v8 blazer swap. I cant decide on a Fast burn 350/385 or a ls series 5.3 keep us updated ;D

Comment

Originally posted by jerrys96lt4
      Cool Im getting ready for my own v8 blazer swap. I cant decide on a Fast burn 350/385 or a ls series 5.3 keep us updated ;D
      SBC's are practically a bolt in swap with all the parts available now. LS stuff throws a few more problems, mainly less exhaust options. But as long as you aren't worried about making BIG power, there are headers/manifolds that will work just fine. Also I am not sure what people are doing about oil pan/front diff interference issues on the 4x4 LS motor trucks. But I am sure you could find out with some searching. There is no shortage of s10 discussion forums.

Comment

Yes sbc will be simple. I was at a car show a couple of years ago there was a 2wd s10 blazer w/a bds blown 427 and a six speed .It was Black with a blood red int . It was sick. You sticking with red.

Comment

Originally posted by jerrys96lt4
          Yes sbc will be simple. I was at a car show a couple of years ago there was a 2wd s10 blazer w/a bds blown 427 and a six speed .It was Black with a blood red int . It was sick. You sticking with red.
          I will probably change the interior to black. As far as the paint goes, red is kind of growing on me, especially since doing a color change right is a lot of work.

Comment

I've done a half dozen SBC swaps into all manner of S-10s, thought seriously about doing what you're doing under almost the same circumstances (darn good price on a BBC) ironically, it was a red s-10 blazer... anyhoo.. what stopped me was the exhaust - the SBC is a tight fit (love those frame surrounding headers - or NOT) - so I will be interested to see how you handle that part; plus the tight fit makes cooling it an issue.... any thoughts there?
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Stoneshrink
              I've done a half dozen SBC swaps into all manner of S-10s, thought seriously about doing what you're doing under almost the same circumstances (darn good price on a BBC) ironically, it was a red s-10 blazer... anyhoo.. what stopped me was the exhaust - the SBC is a tight fit (love those frame surrounding headers - or NOT) - so I will be interested to see how you handle that part; plus the tight fit makes cooling it an issue.... any thoughts there?
              There are a couple companies that make headers for the big block swap......but they are expensive and they each have things I don't like about them. So, I will probably end making my own, or modifying a set for another application. I'd like to keep them inside the frame rails, but that may require modifying the lower part of the firewall.

As far as cooling goes, on my sbc truck I am running a late 80's vette rad(moved forward into the rad support), with dual 11" spal fans, and a 4 inch cowl hood. The motor never gets over 180. For the Jimmy I am thinking I will run a Superior radiator(radiator shop out of MI that makes a radiator for s10 v8 swaps). Its supposed to cool a little better. From what I have seen, the trick to cooling these trucks is a good fan setup that can pull a lot of air and a good fan shroud.

Comment

It is true that a good radiator is required, but make sure you have a good way of letting the heat out. I put louvres in the hood of one blazer; and it worked out pretty good - except that if there is any oil leaking at all it will end up on your windshield.

I'll love to see the pictures of the headers for that motor... lower part of the BBC is easy, it's the heads that are so much wider so the interference IMO will be the frame rails and trying to get the tubes inside the rails. Maybe remove the inner fenders then use ones that look similar to the Nova, shoe box chevy or Cuda headers and run them down the outside of the frame rails to just in front of the rear tires?
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                X