New Garage On The Way!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Garage On The Way!

OK.. This project will take a little while, but the first steps (off paper) have been made toward my new garage..
    Very exciting to see Stoneshrink's started work on his and that has influenced me to start this thread too. Well done, man. ;)

Basically, the Camaro resto of mine had slowed considerabley.. Other issues, such as working long hours and 6 days has been one major reason, but the other BIG reason is SPACE, or lack of..
    I have a spare room, side shed and garage just full of 69 Camaro and other household items and it's just not enough.
    You all must know how disencouraging it is to sqeeze into your garage and constantly trip over things that you need but simply don't have the room for.. Not fun. :-\
    Keith & Tonya have been here.. They know how small it is..

I still need to have a draftsman draw up detailed plans and submit to council, but at least the ball is rolling here. Coucil have looked at my drawings though, and they are pretty happy with what I want to do. No rejections yet!

The blue ink is my existing 15' x 24' / 360sqft single car garage, while the black ink is the proposed 1185sqft double with hoist, workshop & dunny.. ;D

Second pic I drew at 1:43 scale so I could see how big the garage is in relation to real cars. They are 1:43 scale too.. I'm fitting a 2 post hoist and that's going where the yellow Camaro is sitting.. ;) No more crawling under cars for me. :D
    (I'm still considering going another 3' wider.)

Probably not the best pic but that's the cramped little garage I've been working in for the last 6 years. I'm really looking forward to swinging a sledgehammer into that bastard. > ;D

Well, not much to show, but here's step one. remove what is in the way. Trees..

Yay! ;D

Re: New Garage On The Way!

awesome idea on the 1:43 scale...

i'm currently awaiting a new job and will be fast behind you guys for some sort of shop space. I hate having my vehicle 40 miles away in the trailer with no shop space to work on it

Comment

I'm glad to know I'm an inspiration.... normally speaking I'm a warning.
      That shop looks like an excellent design - do have a question. As you used a Chevelle to help scale the garage, does that mean you're bringing a new car into the family? Or, are you going to upgrade? ;D
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

X2 on the awesome 1:43 scale.

Is a dunny what I think it is? Others have used a bucket for this purpose. :D

Comment

I'll say it from experience.....go the 3' wider. The scale setup you have is kool...now pop the doors.

Comment

Looks great! Go here for lots more ideas:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/

1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

Originally posted by AFFORDILLAC
              I'll say it from experience.....go the 3' wider. The scale setup you have is kool...now pop the doors.
              That's exactly why I want the additional width..

Yes, a dunny is a toilet.. I'm not rushing into the house filthy (or killing my plants) everytime I need to go. ;)

Sorry Stoneshrink, no new cars, but you never know.

Gee, a forum just on garages.. Thanks for the link.

Comment

I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again - however big it is, it's gonna be too small. So definitely add the 3 extra feet if you possibly can. Another bit of advise - orient your eves, etc. so you can readily add on later if possible. I have covered all of the lot that the county will let me with building, so I'm resorting to going up with a loft.

Great to see everyone getting shops in place. I've had one of some sort or other for probably 35 years or so and it's a great thing.

Dan

Comment

The original 6 meter (20ft) width was based on 2 Camaro sized car widths (whoch seemed fine) and still trying to keep enough backyard. The pic with the Chevelle & Challenger show how tight it will be with only slightly larger cars.

I drew this plan/idea up several years ago actually and have since decided to go 7m (23ft) wide. I still have loads of yard in reality and I am very familiar with the ruling that it doesn't matter how big, you will fill it and want more. ;)

I still need to be careful because in the near future, I want to extend the house and I don't want my ideas with that to be compromised.

Comment

Steve needs more Cars...someone help this Man ;D :D!! ~J/W-006.

Comment

Glad to see this plan gather steam.

I have at least another 2 years, realistically, until I can "reclaim" my garage......the oldest boy should be graduated from business school, and moved out by then....I can move the wife and I's room back into the main part of the house, and revert the bedroom/family room back into it's original guise as a 1-car attatched garage.

I say this as I look at my Camaro, buried under 12" of white hell........yeah, yeah, SAMSONITE, whatever.... ;D

Steve, do you plan on having the air compressor in the main area of the garage, or do you plan a specialized "closet" for it?

I'm gonna follow this one.....gives me ideas for my own.

Comment

I guess I'll fit the compressor under the bench. It's a 3HP with a ~16gal tank so it's not huge..

I'll have to look up more ideas too. I have this book, but haven't read much of it yet at all. Hopefully some good ideas in there.

Comment

Many of us have been the shop route so don't hesitate to run ideas past us. I'll bet we've had 100 or more shops among us (I've had at least 7 as I've bought and sold houses and exchanged wives). Mostly, I've learned what NOT to do!

Dan

Comment

Nice Steve, looks like you've got your hands full with this project. I'm looking forward to seeing pics of the progress.

Very Cool indeed.

Comment

go WIDE...my last(home) garage was 19 x20...better than nothing...but i loved the width...

can you put the doors on right? (chevelle pass door)

yes.put the compressor away.FAR away.or up in the air.did i say far?

my buddy's garage is 24x27..thats getting there...chevy doors are long!!
                              "IGNORANCE SHOULD BE EFFIN PAINFUL"

522 cubes on One Gun,doin' it on W's at full weight baby!

Comment

Working...
                              X