Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Garage On The Way!

There, my garage is finished.. :D

Just kidding.. These floor coverings look awesome.

http://www.racedeck.com/residential.html

Anyone here using these floor tiles or similar? I don't want them in my workshop area, just the section where I park.

Comment

I think having some of the shock absorbent mats where you are working is a great idea, we all know what it feels like to stand on concrete all day - at least my ankles, knees and hips get sore - the younger dudes here likely have no idea what I'm talking about.

I'm a big fan of epoxy floor coatings, not a big fan of the tiles - but I'm a cheap mofo.

Having a rubber mat to move around with you to your working area is a really good idea, or having a few of them positioned in your typical work areas is a good thing - in front of the work bench, grinder, press, etc.... they are not cheap either, but worth the price to have around they really do relieve fatigue...

Mount the compressor in an outdoor shed if at all possible to shelter you from noise, if that's not possible, build a room for it with plenty of insulation to take care of noise...
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

That garage / shop is just awesome, and some bucks !!
        ;D

Comment

I don't want the tiles where I work because I'll ruin them with welding and just general garage filth. I would like a nice place where I park however, and these look fantastic.

The entire concrete slab with simply get several coats of clear sealer ( http://www.sika.com.au/cmc/Datasheet...kaCure_tds.pdf ) just like a commercial car park gets. That will stop oils soaking in and stop dust eroding from the concrete with wear & tear.
          It's also a lot less slippery than paint when wet.

Comment

Steve - that sealer looks like a good solution to the sealing / painting issue - i'm interested to see that it recomends application as soon as possible after pouring new concrete, it must truly be tied into the curing process of the concrete, interesting. I'm betting that stuff will serve you well, and since it "soaks in" instead of "sitting on top" you can likely recoat in the future as a maintenance step on the heavy traffic areas without the issues of doing the same with paint.

Comment

We spray the stuff on as a "curing agent" well within 12 hours of pouring, depending on the slab thickness. (Sooner for thinner) and it forms an integeral coat that holds the moisture in the concrete. This prevents localized drying-out and drying-out too fast, which prevents cracking. It's exactly the same idea as putting down damp heshion which I'm sure you have seen on footpaths, but without the difficulty of doing so over such a large area.

Once the slab is fully cured (28 days) the same curing agent can be used again as a sealer in as many coats as you want. I'll probably do 3 coats.
              Oh, and you can still paint it if you change your mind. ;)

Comment

Nicely done Steve - between you and Chad - it sounds like the sealer is likely the best way to go...

but my slab was poured in '88 and it's been heavily stained since - so - I think I'll pressure wash it, muriatic acid etch it, TSP the bad spots, and put down the epoxy I have, cause I already paid for it!

I think Seth will be helping me on that job - he's a paint guy afterall! ;D

Comment

Working...
                X