Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1970 Plymouth Duster 360 Magnum

Hi all,

I'm a 22 yr old recent college graduate (BS in Mechanical Engineering) and I own this 1970 Plymouth Duster that I bought when I was 14. Been working on it ever since, but the college years kept me away from it a lot.

These are the first pictures of it (from 2000 when I bought it)

It was a 318/automatic car with a 7.25 rearend and 4-wheel drums. It even came with a melted dash harness and a shot steering box, front end, speedometer stuck at 110, and shot leaf springs...not bad for over 245,000 miles

I got it running good, swapped some '74 disk brakes and an 8.25 sure-grip rearend on it before I started driving it every day during the summer in high school...added some Cragars as well. The original engine finally wore out (no oil pressure) so I purchased an 89 D150 318...put that in with a 4-bbl, etc...then swapped in a 4-speed as well...tried driving it and I was hearing a loud ticking noise, and then a bit later I had some smoke coming out of the breather...I did a compression check and found no compression...pulling the head, I found this:

I then put a different set of pistons in, added Magnum heads, and had the intake leaking coolant into the engine that wiped out the new bearings as well as the cam. I then purchased a 1977 360 from a guy in detroit near where I went to school, swapped the magnum heads and dropped it in.

I have done a few other mods along the way, but I'll just show you specs and pictures of the car now:

Hydraulic Clutch!

Specs:
    70 Duster
    360-Magnum Heads-Summit K6901 Cam-R/T Springs & Retainers-Spitfire Headers-2.25" Dual Exhaust-600 Holley-Edelbrock Performer RPM Air Gap
    A-833 Cast Iron 4-speed
    8.25 3.21:1 Sure-Grip Rearend
    Cragar Street Stars
    Autometer Designer Black Electric Gauges
    88 Sundance Seats (temporary)

Re: 1970 Plymouth Duster 360 Magnum

nice work dude

Comment

That is one nice Duster...

Seth
      200 mph or bust.......

Comment

where did you get that guage panel from?

Comment

Thanks guys!

Originally posted by shaun callaway
          where did you get that guage panel from?
          Its from www.fastlanewest.com

bolts right in...you do need to mod your stock headlight switch a little for clearance, but otherwise its real nice.

Comment

nice

Comment

Looks like you have been enjoying the ride. Can you give some details on the hydro clutch linkage? How do you like it? Push or pull slave cyl.?
              Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

white is probably one of my favorite colors on a car. it makes it look so freaking clean.

Comment

Very cool.....now drive it and have fun
                  Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by cantvalve16
                    Looks like you have been enjoying the ride. Can you give some details on the hydro clutch linkage? How do you like it? Push or pull slave cyl.?
                    Pull style. Its mounted to the sidecover. of the transmission using a sawed in half and notched 80's dodge truck 318 motor mount. Since it doesn't pull as far as the bellcrank linkage pushes, you'll have to do some geometry to get full disengagement and drill a new hole. Its the wilwood slave cyl, and its matched to a wilwood 3/4" bore master cylinder. I drilled some holes in the firewall immediately next to the brake master cylinder and also drilled a hole in the pedal in the same relative location on the clutch pedal itself. I had to use a spacer and a spherical rod end to hook it up under there.

Some more pictures:

It actually seems to work extremely well in the limited miles I have used it. The pedal feel is good once you get everything adjusted properly (and there are a LOT of adjustment points available).

Oh yeah, and I'm planning on installing a B-body 8 3/4 in the car that has a 3.23 sure-grip 742 case, with the springpads moved in for the MP offset shackle kit...now if it would ever be over 25 degrees in the garage.

A picture of that:

and last but not least, a video of how she starts/sounds:

Comment

I put the '68 B-body 8 3/4 axle in today...fits very well in there, and tons of tire room with the MP offset shackle kit.

Check out some pictures

I still need to work on the exhaust routing though!

Comment

Working...
                      X