Engine removal and detailing in the Bug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine removal and detailing in the Bug

So I've hooked up with a group of local VW guys that get together monthly, they seem like a good bunch. I had mentioned about wanting to drop the engine out of the Beetle to get at some oil leaks, and do a general cleanup and detailing in the engine bay. One of the guys was nice enough to volunteer to assist with the project.

Started with this:

For those of you not familiar with them, the Bug engines are held to the transaxle with 4 studs, and then it's just a matter of disconnecting a few hoses and wires, and out it comes through the bottom:

We had to remove the fan shroud to gain some height clearance, as I didn't have a pair of jack stands tall enough to get the engine right out from under the car otherwise. That's me filing the holes on the little p.o.s. engine dolly I got for the job, the casters didn't line up with the holes in the dolly.

Ended up with this:

The guy who helped me mentioned that he had traded a small dual carb and manifold set to one of the other club members, and he thought that it might be available for sale again. So I've made arrangements for that, it's a dual single-barrel Weber kit that is sized just right for a stock or mild engine. Between that and a header and exhaust, it will perk up the car a bit for this summer, and just plain look a lot cooler ... the opposed format of the VDub engines are just crying out for dual carbs. This will work for a while, until I gather enough parts to attempt the Toyota Roots style blower install with a Megasquirt.

While the engine is out, I am going to get the shroud and cylinder tin cleaned up, and my buddy Stu is hopefully going to have time to powdercoat them in his little home garage setup. I want to get everything reassembled by the end of February, that's when I move out of my current location.

More pics to follow as work progresses. ;)

cheers
    Ed N.
    Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
    07 Mustang GT with some stuff
    88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Re: Engine removal and detailing in the Bug

Sweet....That looks pretty clean.

Seth
    200 mph or bust.......

Comment

It has some small issues in a couple of spots, but overall it's pretty solid for a 35 year old vehicle. That's the main reason I bought this one out in Calgary, they don't kill the roads with salt in the wintertime as we do here in southern Ontario.

Looking forward to cruising with that big sunroof wide open this summer!!

cheers
      Ed N.

Comment

My first experience with VW engine removal was helping my friend Pat wrench on his Porsche 356. We were actually planning on taking the thing on the One Lap of America, and got started on the car, but after we sat down and ran the numbers out about how much it would actually cost, just to enter the friggin' thing, we scrapped that idea.

That Bug is killer. Neat to see it getting attention!

Brian
        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Love bug lovin...keep it comin! ;D

Comment

I had a 70 VW in the late 70's. It was one of my all time favorite cars. Had a mild motor with 87 MM pistons, dual port heads, 009 dist, Engle 110 cam and a Weber 5200 carb. If I had room in my driveway....and money, I'd love to get another one. Nice car!
            Tom
            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Looks good.
              The dual carbs will sure look cool, too.

Love the ragtop. Really considering one for my truck.
              1997 Ranger 5.0L HO, GT40 heads/tubular intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, B303, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster mufflers, T5 trans, Tri-Ax shifter, CenterForce Dual Friction clutch, 8.8 Traction Lok 3.55 gears, Cobra 13" front brakes, Cobra 11.65" rear discs.
              1997 Mustang GT
              sigpic

Comment

Bugs rule. ;D good work

Comment

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I remember the dual carb conversion making quite a noticeable difference on the 72 Bug I had many years ago, and these ones I'm getting are actually a better size for a stock engine.

cheers
                  Ed N.

Comment

Bug's Rock

Comment

Originally posted by fast Ed

We had to remove the fan shroud to gain some height clearance, as I didn't have a pair of jack stands tall enough to get the engine right out from under the car otherwise.
                      When I pulled the motor on my '62 Dune buggy, I just set it on my skateboard, & rolled it out. Hey, I was poor.

Comment

i always use a skate board (i miss my bug)

Comment

Originally posted by Caveman

When I pulled the motor on my '62 Dune buggy, I just set it on my skateboard, & rolled it out. Hey, I was poor.
                          Never thought of that!! Great idea. Too bad I didn't have a skateboard around, would have saved buying that engine dolly that didn't want to fit together. :P

cheers
                          Ed N.

Comment

Removed a motor out of one of my bugs several months back. Needed to be pulled out alittle to drop it on the floor jack, so I reached into the rear and grabbed it by the valve covers. Gave her alittle tug and down she went. To my dismay I hadn't noticed during my concentration that the bridge of my nose was fractions above the vented cowl....when the motor dropped it pulled my arms and ultimately my nose into the stationary vehicle. My eyes watered and my nose bleed for 15 minutes....lesson learned. :-\

Comment

More engine pictures? I've only seen them installed in the cars.
                              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                              X