Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bugnotti Build Begins

Thanks for all your help guys. ;)

K, the rear springs are fixed in the back, it may look like a shackle because i haven't trimmed it off yet. The shackle is in the front of the rear spring.( Weldandgrind) I think we were on the same wavelength there.
    The rear will have no location, I don't know if you can tell but the springs are not parallel in the back. I've got a 3' pinch toward the front. I've read that 3 1/2" is about as far as you can go. That ought to keep it close to center.
    The lead eye will be fixed in the front with the shackle to the rear, Hopefully having opposed fixed ends with keep the wheel base from growing and shrinking to much.

I had some brackets made up yesterday to locate the front axle, with some luck and time I'll have it solved this weekend.
    I got some wood and sheetmetal so once i get the engine sitting in there, I'll be able to start working on the scuttle (cowl) and figure out where my feet are going to go.
    Chris

Comment

sweet project - can't wait to see it with the power train installed.

do you have a grille in mind you're going to start with as a "nose", then fit the body between it and the cowl?
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
        sweet project - can't wait to see it with the power train installed.

do you have a grille in mind you're going to start with as a "nose", then fit the body between it and the cowl?
        I do, but not quite sure how I'm going to go about it. I also need to decide just how loyal am i going to be to this particular car. Obviously it can't be an exact replica so at what point am I beating my brain for no good reason.

I plan on making a wood buck of the grill (if i can't find something) and for the hood and scuttle.

Here's a couple pics of what I'm leaning toward.

Notice on this one how the scuttle (bulkhead) is made. I'm going to try and copy that idea. Two plates to hold the metal and also form the hood to the grill. I'm not explaining as well as i should. If all goes well i won't have to I'll just show you.

Never mind I don't know why they are so small i'll try to fix it when i get back to the office.
        Chris

Comment

I just wondering after seeing your pictures Chris.....will be a single seater like vintage racer or will it be a small 2 seater like in the pics and if so are going have it be left or right hand driven. I can already see you with cap, goggles, & scarf touring the countryside....... ;D would be partial to growing a handle bar moustache.
          That steely eyed look I had behind the wheel was me trying see..........

Comment

Originally posted by 383S-10
            I just wondering after seeing your pictures Chris.....will be a single seater like vintage racer or will it be a small 2 seater like in the pics and if so are going have it be left or right hand driven. I can already see you with cap, goggles, & scarf touring the countryside....... ;D would be partial to growing a handle bar moustache.
            Man i don't know, i say that because i'm not sure how much room i'll have yet. A very small 2 seater (just big enough for a girl ;D) I thought about the steering, leaning toward left drive, But it realy comes down to what steering gear i use.

Thats funny I've already got a full beard, and had considered the exact same thing. I'll do it at least once.
            Chris

Comment

Mustache March is right around the corner!

Comment

I'm diggin' the body ideas you have man. sweet.

You guys probably have a full handle on this, but for those watching, I'll elaborate a little:

On the springs: Whether they're flipped or not shouldn't have much bearing on where to put the fixed end. The thing that affects the handling is the arc in which the axle travels through the suspension range.

A spring fixed has an up & down arc through the range of motion that moves around the fixed point... i.e., the inner part of the arc is facing the springs fixed point.

On '88-'95 YJ Jeep Wranglers for ex, the fixed end of the spring for both axles is towards the center of the jeep (shackles on the ends of the vehicle). Where the handling gets wacky is when you hit a bump, the front & rear axle have a different arc, (the jeep facing fwd -> the rear axle arc is like this ( and the front axle arc is like this ) ... hope that makes a little sense... It really gets wacky on lifted jeeps, because the difference is magnified. Hence the wacky handling on my jeep.

With very little suspension travel (less than 3") it really shouldn't affect your handling that much, if at all.

When do you get the motah and trans?

Comment

That's really clean work. keep the pic's coming.

Comment

Originally posted by Caveman
                    I'm diggin' the body ideas you have man. sweet.

You guys probably have a full handle on this, but for those watching, I'll elaborate a little:

On the springs: Whether they're flipped or not shouldn't have much bearing on where to put the fixed end. The thing that affects the handling is the arc in which the axle travels through the suspension range.

A spring fixed has an up & down arc through the range of motion that moves around the fixed point... i.e., the inner part of the arc is facing the springs fixed point.

On '88-'95 YJ Jeep Wranglers for ex, the fixed end of the spring for both axles is towards the center of the jeep (shackles on the ends of the vehicle). Where the handling gets wacky is when you hit a bump, the front & rear axle have a different arc, (the jeep facing fwd -> the rear axle arc is like this ( and the front axle arc is like this ) ... hope that makes a little sense... It really gets wacky on lifted jeeps, because the difference is magnified. Hence the wacky handling on my jeep.

With very little suspension travel (less than 3") it really shouldn't affect your handling that much, if at all.

When do you get the motah and trans?
                    I Don't know I haven't Talked to Trevor in a couple days so I'm unaware of his progress with the truck, I figured i'd give him the weekend to finish up the paint. I hope soon though, i really need it to figure out the rest of the chassis.
                    I think it'll really take shape once i get the engine.

Originally posted by Fordplay0621
                    That's really clean work. keep the pic's coming.
                    Thanks man, I've always been very critical of my own work, Helps quite a bit to hear good things from all you guys.

Chris

Comment

How's it coming? Need updates!! ;)

Comment

My apologies to all. ;)

Sorry I've had a crazy weekend and the beginning of this one doesn't look much better. The weather has been bitterly
                        cold ( by KY standards) Plus had a few family issues to contend with.
                        I haven't spoken with Trev so I STILL don't have the engine at the shop yet.

On the plus the weather might break and get back into the 40's, and I'm getting to miss a trip to
                        Oklahoma so this weekend I'll be alone with no one to answer to. So with some luck ( I need it ) I'll get her back underway. Trust me it sucks out load for me. I feel like i rocketed out of the gates going from a pile of metal and parts to where she sits now, but then hit a wall last weekend. Still trying to decide on the front suspension. Or more importantly how i want to hang it.

I'll get some stuff up as soon as i get enough progress to justify it. Sorry for the Delay, I too really want this to keep rolling. I really would like to get it done in time for the Street Rod Nats this summer. We'll see ;D
                        Chris

Comment

You're progress is still impressive to me - even with a weekend off!

Don't be too hard on yourself... when the hobby becomes a slave driver, it stops being fun.
                          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Interesting side light... my Austin Healey 100 is an underslung body... basicly the front A frame towers are built on top of the box tubing... Point being... stick the wheels where you want them and make the rest of the stuff fit...

Don't forget the opportunity for 1/4 eliptic springs and Friction shock's... More very period and fairly inexpensive bits if you build them yourself...

I love this project by the way.... oh and what's that scooter in the Av?

K

Comment

Originally posted by KeithTurk
                              Interesting side light... my Austin Healey 100 is an underslung body... basicly the front A frame towers are built on top of the box tubing... Point being... stick the wheels where you want them and make the rest of the stuff fit...

Don't forget the opportunity for 1/4 eliptic springs and Friction shock's... More very period and fairly inexpensive bits if you build them yourself...

I love this project by the way.... oh and what's that scooter in the Av?

K
                              Well I'm not going with the 1/4 ecliptic's, (thought the type 59 had them) I'm using posie's sliders 26" E to E.
                              But I DO plan on some friction shocks, That's interesting about the healy. I had no idea. But your right, I basically stuck the axles where they'd go got the front high enough to clear then put a tall enough tire out back to kick it up enough to slide the frame under it. I don't really dig home made Z notches, the look, so this way it all flows right out the back.
                              Well I don't really talk about the bike much, I'd be happy to PM you the make and all someone here may know. I don't want to give the manufacturer any free advertising here (or anywhere for that matter) But here's a couple pics. It is really just a scooter, but I really dig old stuff so when i saw it had to build one. So i love the bike,hate the creator.

Thanks
                              Chris

Comment

is that a DIRT BIKE MOTAH??

Disco WRONG, but OH so RIGHT!!

2-stroke or 4?

Comment

Working...
                                X