X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bugnotti Build Begins

It is Little 110, 4 cycle. 4 spd.

Ah c'mon Disco wrong. I love it, how could i change it. ;D

K, well my engine is in route to the shop, so I have no more excuses. I'm gonna try and hit it pretty hard this week.
    I'm what 2 1/2 weeks in, and didn't do anything last week. I hate to loose anymore momemtum.Especially when I've
    put a completion date around aug. So assuming it goes as it has and i don't run out of money, we should be good.

Chris

Comment

Hey Chris (CM325) in what part of KY do you live? I live in Bardstown and work in Louisville. Excellent work so far on the build. Looking forward to more project updates.

Comment

Am I the only one to notice the garage door sections put up as a wall, there? That works great, BTW. A guy from our warehouse put a building up for almost nothing, using telephone poles and garage door sections. Looks like poop, but it works.

Originally posted by CM325

The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

K, well during lunch I dropped it between the rails to see if my initial measurement were correct.
          They were but I still think my feet are to big to fit three pedals in there.
          So I've decided to move it forward a bit, bout 2 1/2 inches maybe a little more.

Then pulled it out to get that old tranny off, took some measurements off the old and the T5.
          Supposedly according to the HAMB I need to trim 1/2" off the bearing support shaft as well as
          the input shaft. As shown by the pic it wasn't needed. Pulled out the pressure plate and clutch.
          Threw it back together, dropped it back in.

Well that was lunch. Didn't get much more than that done. I'm gonna get back at it after work.
          Hopefully by the end of the weekend I'll have the engine and trans mounted.

58' 235/T5

Not a whole lot of room, I think it's going to fit perfect. It shouldn't be sideways (photobucket acting up)

Cheapthrills I live just out side Louisville in Shelby co. Wit a lot of luck I'll get her done by the Nats this aug. maybe I'll see ya there.

Thanks for all the compliments guys , wish me luck.
          Chris

Comment

flippin sweet! ;D

I wish my shop was close enough to work to get things like that done at lunch! You're the man!

I can see wanting to move it forward for sure - especially with the rear mount shifter on the T5. Great that you didn't have to mod the T5 to bolt it together... not sure what T5 the HAMB folks were referring to... there are a few different ones out there.

Do you think you'll be running a cable clutch set up similar to a fox mustang or will you go hydraulic?

this thing is going to be freaking sweeeeeet!
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Thanks man.

Not sure exactly on the clutch yet, but i can say with a certainty it won't have a hydraulic.
              Though i do prefer one, I think it would be too new for it. It's already going to have a 5 spd. and
              Juice brakes. I'm not holding to firmly on the "period" thing, but not willing to slap it in the face either.

I' trying to use the time tested method of building a racecar, hotrod,etc...
              USE TRUCK PARTS.
              Ettore Bugatti used to tout Bentley by saying. "Bentley makes the fastest trucks in Europe"
              While making them heavier than the Bugatti's they were almost indestructible. Running 24 hrs. at
              Le Man wasn't even an issue.
              So essentially what i have is a 58' Apache that has gone on a serious diet. I'm guessing it'll be about
              3-3500 Lbs. lighter. I'd like to look up how much it weighed.
              Anyway thanks,

I'm looking forward to getting back out there tonight.
              Chris

Comment

K, So I got what I wanted done this weekend. Though i didn't take to many Photo's.
                I did get the engine and front end mounted. So i don't know what the definition is but
                to me once it has wheels and can be loaded onto a trailer your flirting with a "car".

So I'll try and snap some more tonight. It's all apart waiting for final welding. I planned on waiting as long as i could.
                I've made the mistake in the past of welding something up well before it was ready.
                That said I really want to have it sitting under or on top of (depends on which end) it's own weight.
                So maybe by the end of the week I'll be able to post pics of the roller.

I still need to come up with a crossmember for the T5. Don't know why I never noticed but the mount is not parallel to the ground. Not that it's a big deal but does add a little bit of thought to the process.
                Sorry not to have any pics, I'll try to get some of the chassis tonight.
                Since this is my first "complete build" it weird to say Chassis,frame,etc.... For something that started out as a pile of metal and an old tired throwaway engine just a month ago.

In times where I've watched my business dwindle away as well as other Non-car related issues. I decided to build this to keep my sanity, I hope it continues to distract from the reality of it all.
                Thanks for your support guys.
                Chris

Comment

K not the most exciting pics but here's a few.

Just got everything square. That rear most pipe is going to go. I'm gonna have to cut it out, after some gusseting.
                  Of course this wouldn't be an issue had i not moved the engine forward 3 inches. Oh well I really needed the foot room.
                  you can also see the front and rear engine mounts. And no i didn't make a mistake the two holes in the rear mounts are correct. One for the bolt into the bellhousing and one for dowel pin next to it.

Here I'm kinda sandwiching the spring tubes for some more support.

Suspension removed and getting ready for some welding. The frame is upside down by the way.

Chris

Comment

Here I'm kinda sandwiching the spring tubes for some more support.
                    I really enjoy your updates; I wish I was doing something along the same lines right now.

I've been studying this photo, and I fail to see what you mean by sandwiching the spring tubes. I can see that there is an extra slice of square tube on top of the passenger side frame rail, but I'm not sure if that's what you're referencing.

Comment

You're there. On the top of the frame the pipes will be wrapped by the "slice" The back has been angled down to meet
                      the top of the middle frame rail. As to wrap around the rear pipe. The front won't be done until i decide how to dress the front horns. I was afraid that the pipes might twist under load. The rear pipe has to be cut in the middle for clearance of the block. So once that happens I'll patch over the exposed end and weld it up. So only the outside most portion will be exposed. It also has a gusset under it and diagonal to the load. I don't know if you can see it or if it was even there in the pic.

Once i get the frame welded and done I'll post some better pics, kinda show what i mean.

As far as doing something is concerned, Do it. I just happened across the final pieces and it kinda snowballed.
                      This couldn't be a worse time for me to do it. With the economy, my business slowing,and Ex-issues, now was not the time. Then I realized that if the worst were to happen, what have i accomplished, what would i have to look at when it's all said and done. Nothing if I just play the conservative card. So for once I'm being irresponsible and just going for it. I figure the worst that could happen is I make a roller and sell it this summer at the Nat's. Though i really want to finish it and keep it, But if some fool offers a wad of cash for something I've got next to nothing in well I can always build another. ;)
                      Chris

Comment

Great attitude friend, no sense in sitting around worrying about the worst that might happen.

Well done.
                        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I'll say it again, you have mad skills...
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I don't know about that, we'll see. There's always room for improvement.
                            Never the less I will take it as a compliment.

Milner I'm actually closer to a pesimist than anything, but I'm currently trying to break that pattern and think postively.

I planned on getting some more welding done durring lunch. Fired up the welder, got maybe 4 welds done.
                            Out of wire, I swear i just replaced the spool. Oh well so I'll have to get some more after work.
                            Other than that not a whole lot planned for this week. Get her welded and bolted back together.
                            I need to start thinking about the body, really the grill area as well as the scuttle.

Anyway, thanks guys.

Comment

You're there. On the top of the frame the pipes will be wrapped by the "slice" The back has been angled down to meet
                              the top of the middle frame rail. As to wrap around the rear pipe. The front won't be done until i decide how to dress the front horns. I was afraid that the pipes might twist under load. The rear pipe has to be cut in the middle for clearance of the block. So once that happens I'll patch over the exposed end and weld it up. So only the outside most portion will be exposed. It also has a gusset under it and diagonal to the load. I don't know if you can see it or if it was even there in the pic.

Once i get the frame welded and done I'll post some better pics, kinda show what i mean.

As far as doing something is concerned, Do it. I just happened across the final pieces and it kinda snowballed.
                              This couldn't be a worse time for me to do it. With the economy, my business slowing,and Ex-issues, now was not the time. Then I realized that if the worst were to happen, what have i accomplished, what would i have to look at when it's all said and done. Nothing if I just play the conservative card. So for once I'm being irresponsible and just going for it. I figure the worst that could happen is I make a roller and sell it this summer at the Nat's. Though i really want to finish it and keep it, But if some fool offers a wad of cash for something I've got next to nothing in well I can always build another. ;)
                              Chris
                              That makes more sense to me now. I think I can just make out a plate gusset under the driver's side of the rear tube; instead of cutting the rear tube, are you able to drop the middle under the front of the engine? It's hard for me to tell exactly where the front of the engine will sit in relation to the rear tube. Also, do you plan on a crossmember above the axle to control twist, such as it may be? Regarding the frame horns, have you considered a slight turn-down radius (less dramatic than a deuce)?

I have no problem jumping in to a similar project; my issue is that I have room for only one project car, and my '49 is it. It has tremendous sentimental value in our family (the only sentimentality you'll catch me exhibiting), and it was our wedding car 20 years ago. The reality is that it will be significantly more cookie-cutter than what you're building. I've considered giving it back to my parents when it's finished, so that I can scratch-build my own version of a late Model A Tudor. Of course, this follows raising kids and completing a ridiculous home renovation.

Thanks again for the pics and updates.

Comment

Originally posted by Weldangrind

Chris
                                That makes more sense to me now. I think I can just make out a plate gusset under the driver's side of the rear tube; instead of cutting the rear tube, are you able to drop the middle under the front of the engine? It's hard for me to tell exactly where the front of the engine will sit in relation to the rear tube. Also, do you plan on a crossmember above the axle to control twist, such as it may be? Regarding the frame horns, have you considered a slight turn-down radius (less dramatic than a deuce)?

I have no problem jumping in to a similar project; my issue is that I have room for only one project car, and my '49 is it. It has tremendous sentimental value in our family (the only sentimentality you'll catch me exhibiting), and it was our wedding car 20 years ago. The reality is that it will be significantly more cookie-cutter than what you're building. I've considered giving it back to my parents when it's finished, so that I can scratch-build my own version of a late Model A Tudor. Of course, this follows raising kids and completing a ridiculous home renovation.

Thanks again for the pics and updates.
                                No, If you look at the picture in question you'll see a piece of tube at an angle to the frame rails, even farther back you'll see another these locate the block. Unfortunately the engine was designed to sit farther back, when i moved it up i came across this issue. I've thought a crossmember similar to the one in the rear for the front, place it right under the front most spring tube. It's not the actual block that will interfere it's the pulley.
                                Yeah for the frame horns something traditional or "normal" is in order. Some sort of turn down is exactly right. I don't have a plasma so radius are frustrating with a DA. I've got a buddy that's much better at beautifying things than me. I'm more practical in design but realize that a little class never hurt anything.

The 49 sounds similar, Sentiment is totally ok with cars. I've still got my first. That nova next to the welding table has been around since i was 15. The bimmer hiding in the backround i bought when i was 18, to get rid of either would be horrible. I think your idea of giving it back to your folks is dead on. You know you can borrow it whenever, and that you'll probably get it back someday. All it does is add more to the story.
                                Kinda like that old ford commercial where the son buys a mid 50's f 100, then restores it and gives it to his dad, "just like your old one huh dad". ]
                                Also it free's up some space. I'm fortunate to be able to store all my crap, and I mean tonage. It's nice but also quite the headache.

Comment

Working...
                                X