Bugnotti Build Begins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bugnotti Build Begins

I was tryin to show the "scrub line"it's pretty close to it. It came out a little dark.

The next few are self explanitory. I just grabbed a bunch of shots.

Comment

Here's a few with my ugly mug for reference :-*, it's long and low.

Now I can start to figure out the Scuttle (bulkhead), pedal placement, steering, seating.
      Wish me luck, and of course I'll keep ya updated.

Also, going to try and make some frame horns (they call'em dumb irons) to dress it up a bit.
      I'm not much into beautifying things so i may let Trevor tackle it.
      Forgive the ugly welds, they'll be ground and refilled if necessary.

Comment

I'm so impressed by your fab skills. What are your plans for bracing the spring perches next to the motor?
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I'm still thinking on it, it's going to need them on all four corners of the front
          end. I'm considering taper cutting a pipe and surrounding it fore and aft.
          I also left about 11/2" inside the rails. I'll probably use the plates i had made for the
          front spring location. I had'em make like 10 to make sure i could get 4 that matched.
          So that covers the inside nub. I'll take care of that when i tear it down AGAIN... :

Comment

cool project!
            I'm enjoying the process of watching an car come together from scratch.
            When you start to fab the body are you planning to use foam board to rough it out prior to building it in steel/aluminum?
            Where I work I ocasionally see some of the initial designs the industril designers do with shaping foam board to get rough shapes for larger products, cool stuff.

Comment

Do the leaf springs have holes that accomodate locating studs? I've only installed leaf springs on utility trailers, and the stud is important in that world to preclude lateral walking.

As I viewed that last front shot photo, I envisioned a skid plate like the one on my dirt bike. That oil pan is low. 8)

Excellent progress; thanks for the update.

Comment

Originally posted by Weldangrind
                Do the leaf springs have holes that accomodate locating studs? I've only installed leaf springs on utility trailers, and the stud is important in that world to preclude lateral walking.

As I viewed that last front shot photo, I envisioned a skid plate like the one on my dirt bike. That oil pan is low. 8)

Excellent progress; thanks for the update.

They do, They're Posie's T-Bucket springs dirt cheap and short,I'll wind up removing a leaf more than likely.
                Talking on this i was thinking this moring about using shims up fornt to play with the the caster just in case.
                No power steering.
                I've thought about a complete belly pan, then again a skid plate would be a great starting point for that.
                It's deffinetlly something that I'll need to address. It not super low,but low enough. (a hell of a lot lower than it sat in the truck).that's for sure.

Comment

Is there much caster in it now? Where would you place the shims; under the spring pads? I'm imagining a wedge-shaped device. This beam axle stuff is all new to me.

Comment

You are thinking right, just like some shims you would use for your rear. I'd probably have to cut it down a little.
                    Right now i have -1 1/2 to 2 1/2* so i should be fine I'm just thinking ahead.
                    The steering gear i have isn't going to work. Not only is it small, not alot of mechanical advantage, but i couldn't get the pitman arm off to relocate it.
                    So now instead of traditional I'll probably have to rock cross steer.

Yesterday i spent most my time mocking up the scuttle and figuring out the clutch linkage.

Comment

That front axle is out of the Apache?

Chris 8)

Comment

So the past few days, I've been trying to sort out the bulkhead and pedal mounting.
                        The pedals are out of a 53 GMC. I love them, but they are too wide.

I'd been thinking of changing the m up a little. Here's what i came up with during lunch..

So stock they are wide, as you can see the brake is hanging over the tranny, This is
                        to get the clutch pedal inside the body.

Before we get into it, here's the linkage, I'm going to have to cut and relocate the arm that disengages the clutch.
                        And by flipping the pivot rod I can pull the fork in stead of pushing (stock arrangement).
                        This should work out well, i can also use the stock frame bracket on the frame rail.

So i cut into the clutch pedal (no torch) and tweaked her inboard. Obviously this makes things crooked.

Instead of heating and winging it up i came up with this.

So with that i should be able to make some more room. It'll never have much but using it
                        efficiently is whats important. Plus i think this looks a little more correct than having the pedals
                        horizontal.
                        So, what do ya think?

Comment

nice work. I'm surprised there's enough room under the dash for pedals.
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle
                            awesome. I'm going to report you to the moderators for talking about cars in the middle of a political disaster though. very big grin. Thanks man, I really needed some of this. Interesting solution. Keep it up!
                            ;)

Man it's all I've got, I won't even get into the financial, personal crisis I've been dealing with for close to 2 yrs. (read divorce, giving up all my crap, ruining my credit,etc....)
                            This build started out of necessity, I was going to loose my mind, or sell all my car stuff.
                            When Trevor pulled that Apache apart it all just came together.
                            Seriously I might have $500 in it including cutting materials and welding wire.
                            I want her to be as low budget as possible, with a nice build (no rat stuff).

Anyway thanks guys, I've still got a ways to go.
                            But it's nice to see it coming along relatively smoothly.

Comment

you have an excellent imagination - a true innovator.

love it.

man it would be cool to work with you for a while. I'm certain I'd learn some valuable fab skills!
                              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
                                you have an excellent imagination - a true innovator.

love it.

man it would be cool to work with you for a while. I'm certain I'd learn some valuable fab skills!
                                Man, I don't know about that. :D
                                I'll give you the imagination part though.

I need more tools :P, when this is all said and done.
                                I'm going to take a pic of every tool I've used. The point being
                                any of us can do it.

I'd probably learn more from you guys.
                                Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X