Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bugnotti Build Begins

;D
    Don't have much time here's a few teasers.

The donor vehicle.

58' 235.

Just a pick while picking up the axles. he making that truck cab by hand.

The frame rails starting to take shape.

Mock up.

Squaring it up.

This is what I'm going for.

Sorry if the pics are huge and for the vagueness. I've been super busy this weekend.

Well that's got you caught up on the last three days. My springs and shackles should be here wed.
    I'll try add some more pics and stuff later this week.
    I may take tonight off. I've done nothing but sleep and eat this project for 3 weeks now.
    It feels could to get it going. ;D
    Chris

Re: Bugnotti Build Begins

Wow Chris, Im very impressed....the teaser pics had me thinking totally different until I saw your objective. Thats something not seen to much of that type & style seen on here but very interesting just the same. Do you plan to do some vintage road racing with this car? Again Chris great project keep us posted of your progress please......later.....
    That steely eyed look I had behind the wheel was me trying see..........

Comment

SWEEET!

Are you doing the axles 'underslung'?

And how did you do those loooong angle cuts on the framerails?

And what's your gameplan for the body?

Comment

Oh boy, I see we have another great project brewing!
        Tom
        Overdrive is overrated

Comment

This one has the pontential to be Epic. ;)

I am looking forward to seeing it......Having seen you bike, I have faith.

Seth
          200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Originally posted by 383S-10
            Wow Chris, Im very impressed....the teaser pics had me thinking totally different until I saw your objective. Thats something not seen to much of that type & style seen on here but very interesting just the same. Do you plan to do some vintage road racing with this car? Again Chris great project keep us posted of your progress please......later.....
            Thanks man, I don't know about the vintage racing, I have no rule book nore do i want it to hender the build. If anyone knows were to find it let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Caveman
              SWEEET!

Are you doing the axles 'underslung'?

And how did you do those loooong angle cuts on the framerails?

And what's your gameplan for the body?
              Both the front will be typical, but the rear is under slung. I didn't want any z notch or to have to come up with a way to
              curve box steel that doesn't involve hydroforming or cutting a million slivers in it.

Basically i cut out the slice with a DA and clamp it back up. Theres is a great thread on the H.A.M.B by Paul one of the editors there about how to do it.

As far as the body, Man i hope I know. I'm no metal shaper. But since it's so simple. I'm thinking about a wood buck, then cut out my templets to lay on it. Get the sheet cut to length maybe have a little bead rolled in. Then rivet the hell out of it lots and lots of rivets. The era of the car helps there.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskinhano
                Oh boy, I see we have another great project brewing!
                Originally posted by fahrenschnell
                This one has the pontential to be Epic. ;)

I am looking forward to seeing it......Having seen you bike, I have faith.

Seth
                Thanks guys. I hope it all goes as well as the first couple days. I was crazy, It seemed like every time i went to level something or double check a length it was good. It makes it alot easier when the metal works with you. Most of my projects ahve involved somebody elses junk. I'm really excited to get started. I've done nothing but eat and sleep this thing. I've already put a couple hundred miles on her. I was almost to the point where i hadn't started i think i'd go nut's.

I got some tire mounted up to get an idea of where every thing sit.I'll snap a pic this morning I'm gonna sneak over there here in just a few.

Comment

Well today it rained so there wasn't a whole lot of work to do outside.

So off to the warehouse we go. I got the rear crossmember and the lower part of the rear bulkhead sorted.
                  My springs should be here tomorrow so with a little luck I'll have a roller by the end of the weekend.
                  I'm waiting on my biddy to build some ramps so he can pull the Apache out of the garage.( it's loooow).Once
                  this is done I'll be able to set the motor in and make some mounts get the tranny crossmember in and bolt it up.

I'm going to use the Saginaw 3 spd. But I'm not sure I have a t5 that i think would work better with the rear gears (4:10 I was told, not sure). I have a mount out of a 73 nova that'll work with a little trimming.
                  It'll be on the bottom.

Here's the rear bulkhead portion previously mentioned.

And one of the tires, not permanent but good enough for mock up. The fronts are 28" tall and the rears are 31" They work well together let's the frame sit level. Almost makes it look like i knew what i was doing when figuring out the frame rails.

Nothing flashy yet and it only vaguely resembles what i'm shooting for.
                  But i only have $ 470 in it. Once i get the engine out of Trev's it'll look like more. (hopefully)
                  Chris

Comment

It looks awesome already! Great start!

Comment

dang - when you announce your intentions about a project car, you don't fool around! which is nice for a change! can't wait to see how this turns out.
                      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I gotta ask about the never ending wall of 6 panel doors - did you know a guy closing out a lumber yard or what?

The chassis is really starting to take shape - where did the axle come from again?

I for one vote whole heartedly for the T5 3 gears just aint enough - especially with a 235 I6 - you'll want the 5 so do it the first time!
                        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I know, I do want the 5 spd. it's mainly the fact that it's A. no were near period (what is). B. The t5 takes up
                          quite a bit more space I have a size 13 shoe so space is limited especially since I have
                          to squeeze a clutch pedal in there.
                          We'll see. My springs are in Louisville and scheduled to be here to day.
                          If Trevor would get the Apache out of the way I could get my engine. I really need it
                          to finish up the crossmembers as well as the body.
                          Chris

Oh' the doors k the guy next to me use to deal in wholesale doors, got behind on his rent like 3k behind.
                          Then just disappeared and litterally left thousands of doors. So the owner was stuck with them all so he started using them around, there all over. It makes it kind of fun. It used to be a tobacco Warehouse when i was a kid, now the land it sits on is worth more than the building but hey least they let guys like me use it . Sometimes makes me feel like the movie Christine late at night.

Comment

I figured it had to be something like that.

Yea - those big wharehouses do get spooky at night. There's an old Ford factory in Highland park that's now a wharehouse - it's the perfect spot for a horror film let me tell you - it's like a machinery grave yard, some really neat stuff in there, including about 20 pallets of stuff i still have to sort through!
                            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

When you said tobacco warehouse I knew it had to be KY. My mom and sister live up in Maysville. I was in Shelbyville in my Roadrunner in the summer of 07 visiting a moparts.com member. Your car is going to be one really cool project. I've run alot of 235's and 261's. If theres 2 (II) hash marks above the starter and below the intake manifold its a 261, they had a bigger bore and heavier rods. That saginaw 3 speed with 4:10's will leave you wanting more gears. What are your plans for the engine?

Comment

Working...
                              X