Schtauffer's 85 Monte SS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Schtauffer View Post

That's in the neighborhood of the duration I had in mind, and about the lift... mebbe a little less lift. Not sure about that 106 centerline, though... seems tight. It would make a ton of torque down low but wouldn't it have more of a tendency to ping and chop? One of my concerns is that it might be "in the cam" yet on the highway at 70-75 mph... with 26" tires and 4.10's and the tall overdrive it turns 2500 @ 70. A set of 275-60 drag radials will make that worse. Anyway, with that in mind, I'm leaning towards a wider centerline.

I'm figgering on running a Strip Dominator intake. Those new AFR composite intakes make some nice power, but wowie they cost a bit. 1 3/4" headers too small, ya think?
    I was thinking something along the lines of .600-.620 lift, mid 250's duration .050 and 110-112 lobe separation.

I was thinking this one with 1.6 rockers.
    Edelbrock is the most respected name in performance! Since 1938, Edelbrock has manufactured its core products in the USA for quality and performance.
    Last edited by Scott Liggett; May 24, 2014, 08:34 AM.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• re: 106 LSA, good points. I thought it was a little tight too, but the test program liked it for 40 numbers more than anything else I looked at close to it. Likewise, I didn't check to see what your static CR was, I guessed at 10.25:1 and I was thinking it probably wouldn't be all that octane sensitive. Program was suggesting about 203 cranking PSI, which is hairy edge, then again maybe not because they have good chambers. I was gonna look at some more but that one stood out pretty good. I'd probably put a call in to Mike Jones or UD Herald, it's worth the few bucks extra at the level your gonna be at... have you had a chance to bounce this off of SpeedTalk?

On the headers, I'd give it all I could find. You're kind of past the Hooker Comp stage I think... maybe Kooks should be in your future! . EA Pro likes the bigger header (2") by a bunch. It's a pretty good sized mill and will be moving some gasses.

Obviously, I don't have to foot this bill... so there's that... and my typical disclaimer is that this post is worth exactly what it cost. grin. It's fun to bench race it, I think it will be a neat engine. For the coin, though, I'd get a custom spec'd cam from one of the cam hero's out there. Too dang bad we can't just snap our fingers and have a different free cam to test installed in a bulletproof mule and free dyno time!
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Good input, thanks to both of you. Looks like I have some thinking to do.

A 2" header sounds huge, but then again I've never built a motor like this before.
        The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

• 2" headers will be to big, if it was a track only car, or a car with 26"tires 4:10's and 1 to 1 final drive, singing at 3700 on the highway.. sure.. but with the o/d the 1 3/4" will give a good bunch more mid range ft lb..

Comment

• I suspect "midrange" is going to be traction limited either way with 418 inches... 2" sounds kinda big until you consider this is not all that much smaller than a 454 or 460... nobody thinks twice about a 2" primary on a mild big block and this isn't what I would call mild.

math aside, the bigger problem would be packaging and it might not be feasible to go that large on a SBC head. I wasn't thinking about the plates you would probably have to use to adapt a pipe that large with the two inside ports. Eeek. Major dumbass on my part..
            Last edited by Beagle; May 26, 2014, 07:04 PM.
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Packaging is a slight problem. Lemons puts two pipes on the outside of the frame.
              The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

• I think you can buy off the shelf 1 3/4 and 1 7/8 for your Monte. Much cheaper.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• GM G-bodies, because I can't afford a 69 Camaro.

Comment

• Just remember Schoenfeld's caters to the circle track crowd. Those race cars are missing a lot of stuff under the hood that a street car has. Give them a call before spending money.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• You guys are going to laugh... this project has not been abandoned, but it is moving even slower than expected. Pretty much all the parts are bought, just a few more to go. The cam is a Howards solid roller, 600 lift, 245/255 @ .050 with a 110 lobe center. Isky lifters, Comp chromoly rockers. My brother hopes to get the engine put together this winter.

Something I'm trying to decide right now is still the headers - I have it narrowed down to two but have been unable to find anyone who has used either of them. One choice is Doug's: https://shop.dougsheaders.com/doug-s...?#.V-21QPArK70
                      The other choice is Hedman: http://www.hedmanhusler.com/site/?d=...&Keyword=65218
                      Does anyone have personal experience with either of these? Specifically, do either one of them provide more ground clearance?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

• That is by far the cleanest monte that ive ever seen. Very nice car
                        CHECK US OUT AT:
                        www.ridetech.com

Comment

• Originally posted by RideTech_Ryan View Post
                          That is by far the cleanest monte that ive ever seen. Very nice car

That's funny. You wouldn't say that if you saw the car close up. lol But thanks!

Comment

• I don't know for this application, but Doug's headers, for my friend's Firebird, were a much better fit - meaning that they fit without "fitting" them.

Comment

• Doug's headers are here and they are pretty. Currently have the trans out and the motor swinging. Pulled the trans to do a hydraulic throwout bearing because of the new headers not clearing the mechanical linkage which I never like anyway. Pulled the motor to do new motor mounts so that the new exhaust fits perfectly when the new motor goes in. Need to drill new holes to make the motor mounts land where I want them. The new throwout bearing got shipped back to McLeod a week ago to exchange for a longer one - I measured .375" clearance. There is an appointment for December 1 for new exhaust which I think I can make, if McLeod sends the new bearing soon enough.

Comment

• Hey Gene! Sounds like it's coming together. I think it's interesting that even a "common" installation like yours takes a lot of planning and fitting to do it nicely.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X