No announcement yet.

Schtauffer's 85 Monte SS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor is mounted with the Doug's Headers headers in place - they fit fantastically. Wowie, what an improvement.
    The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

• You know the problem with the bearing having .375 clearance? Well... that was actually .375 interference with the three shims. I firggin' measured backwards. So, because I'm an idiot, McLeod sent me a longer piston, which is definitely not what I needed. After a little head scratching and a healthy dose of self-awareness, the "stock" piston from McLeod was perfect with no shims. Now I need to send the extra piston back to McLeod with an apology and probably a couple bucks to cover the shipping which they should not have had to pay for.

In other news, the car is back together and driving... with open headers, anyway. The hydraulic bearing is way better than the mechanical linkage, I should have sprung for that in the first place. Had a bit of a time getting it bled, but it's all good now. New appointment for exhaust is this Friday.
      The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

• Great, Gene. If I'm reincarnated I want to come back as your car! It's an easy gig.

Dan

Comment

• getting there! glad to hear she's running!
          Patrick & Tammy
          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
            Great, Gene. If I'm reincarnated I want to come back as your car! It's an easy gig.

Dan

Ok... but you don't want me adjusting your mixture and checking your plugs... might cause unwanted sputtering and popping. lol

Comment

• I'm old so I have that already - your adjustments might even help a little! The backfiring is especially annoying, at least for ME.

Dan

Comment

• The car is parked inside the exhaust shop for the night, getting new pipes tomorrow. There's no experience quite like driving a car with open headers. :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Schtauffer View Post
                  The car is parked inside the exhaust shop for the night, getting new pipes tomorrow. There's no experience quite like driving a car with open headers. :-)
                  I'll second that! The first pass I made down the drag strip in the Chevelle with open headers was ridiculously loud. Sure it was a tenth faster, but it felt slower because it was so loud - if that makes any sense.
                  I first use Hooker header extensions, but later switched to Warlock turnouts. The straight Hooker extensions got hung up on something while backing up the car, the turnouts could be rotated to keep them tighter to the floor...and they were only 12" rather than 18" ...

Comment

• Always liked your car.

Comment

• Originally posted by yellomalibu View Post

I'll second that! The first pass I made down the drag strip in the Chevelle with open headers was ridiculously loud. Sure it was a tenth faster, but it felt slower because it was so loud - if that makes any sense.
                      I first use Hooker header extensions, but later switched to Warlock turnouts. The straight Hooker extensions got hung up on something while backing up the car, the turnouts could be rotated to keep them tighter to the floor...and they were only 12" rather than 18" ...
                      Yup, open headers makes it feel slower.

Comment

• The car is home and it sounds goooood. Dual 3" pipes with a crossover and 50 series Flowmasters. They did the tails like a Grand National, but turned down instead of straight. I think it's perfect.

Comment

• Originally posted by Schtauffer View Post
                          The car is home and it sounds goooood. Dual 3" pipes with a crossover and 50 series Flowmasters. They did the tails like a Grand National, but turned down instead of straight. I think it's perfect.
                          I tried turning the monitor from side to side, but I still can't see it...
                          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

• That looks like it should oughta.

Dan

Comment

• that's about how I had them do my '80 MC many years ago, your's looks nicer. Excellent job. I always had mixed emotions about the 5.0 looking tail pipes on the SS. Now the big question is, how do you keep a garage so clean? I can see WALL in the reflection!!!
                                Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
                                X