Schtauffer's 85 Monte SS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schtauffer's 85 Monte SS

This car is my first car. While the '67 Malibu that I am currently the steward of brought me home from the hospital and was on the scene before this one, this is the first car that I bought.

An older brother of mine bought the car late in 1992, at that point it had 77k miles on it. Seems like last week. Anyway, he unfortunately passed away in a 5.0 Mustang in January of '94. The car sat for a few months, and in the spring my parents put it out for sale. Another brother (65 L79 here at FJY) did a state inspection on it, and his wife drove it. She liked it, so they bought it. They drove it very little, and after basically sitting for a year, they decided to sell it. After much discussion ;) my parents allowed me to buy the car. I was 14. The only condition my parents put on the agreement was that I not drive it until I graduated from HS. It was of course driven to my graduation.

I drove it stock that summer (1998), and that fall yanked the rather anemic 305 out in favor of a 350. I also rebuilt the 700R-4 (that was put in while my brother was driving it in 1993) shorltly after that. The rear went the next summer. The car sat from August '99 until October 2000 while I took a one-year service commitment in the state of Oregon.

When I came home, I found a posi rear at a junkyard, but it was burdened with 2.41 gears. While it was a bit weak off the line, that thing was a rocket ship with those gears. It tached 4500 at 140 mph in third (!), as clocked by my buddie's crotch rocket. The fastest it ever went was 4800 rpm-- I'm not gonna try to calculate the speed. It was scary with the stock suspension. Anyway, after a year or two of that foolishness, a Moser 12-bolt with 4.10's went in, with 11" drums from a '65 Impala. ls7gto pretty much put that in for me in exchange for some garage door work.

At the time the rear was replaced, I also ordered some Global West lower arms and Edelbrock uppers. I did that because that gave me spherical ends in both peices. It rides and handles awesome, and there has been no wear. Somewhere along the line the car got a tall spindle conversion up front. Not sure what year that was.

In 2004 it got a NOS Super Power Shot. With that, the car has seen a best of 11.61 @ 113 mph. Best on the motor was a 13.20 @ 103.

The Malibu is the car I treasure more, but I have had more fun in this Monte than a guy should have.

Not pretty; the engine compartment is a pure disaster.

Melted a plug on a nitrous pass. :P

These pics were taken an hour or so before my GF and I left for the Woodward Dream Cruise in 2004.

This pic was taken at the launch of the best run it went.

The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Re: Dagenesta's 85 Monte SS

nice car!

Comment

nice monte how much do hp do you think its making before spray?

Comment

Dag, I've told you at two other websites, I love that car.

Comment

G-Bodies Rule!!! ;D

Nice car Gene.

Comment

Very sharp machine.
            Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

Cool to see that you have TWO cars that really mean something to you. That Monte looks like alot of fun... and with the A/C on no less.
              Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

Originally posted by 1988montecarloss
                nice monte how much do hp do you think its making before spray?
                I dunno-- probably 300-350, maybe.

Someday it will have more. I'm on a debt-reduction plan right now-- that is, become debt free before I spend any real money on go-fast parts.
                The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by L98camino
                  G-Bodies Rule!!! ;D

Nice car Gene.
                  X2!! Looks like a lot of fun, Gene!

Comment

Re: Schtauffer's 85 Monte SS

Update: The trans is showing signs of old age. It will probably hold together for a while if I take it real easy and never use the loud pedal, but that's no fun.

I am currently looking for a good used stick-box for cheap, with overdrive. Eyeing a T56 from an LT1 car.

Comment

Currently converting to manual brakes-- never did have enough vacuum.

Still looking for a T56 for a good price.

Comment

thanks for remembering little ole me!
                        Doug
                        Reading , Pa
                        Good Guys rodders rep.
                        "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                        Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

I was wondering was you going to make your own mounting plate for the master cylinder or did find one to buy somewhere? This is an up-grade I will need to do to my Regal in the future or add a vacuum canister............
                          That steely eyed look I had behind the wheel was me trying see..........

Comment

Originally posted by ls7gto
                            thanks for remembering little ole me!
                            Doug
                            Huh?

Comment

Originally posted by 383S-10
                              I was wondering was you going to make your own mounting plate for the master cylinder or did find one to buy somewhere? This is an up-grade I will need to do to my Regal in the future or add a vacuum canister............
                              No mounting plate. My car has a big heavy bracket inside the firewall for the pedal support. The booster has 4 bolts that go through the firewall and the bracket; I simply took the booster out, put bolts through those four holes, then drilled two 3/8" holes through the firewall and bracket and bolted the new master on. The master is from a '78 Malibu with manual brakes; it has a 7/8" bore.

Comment

Working...
                              X