Project 200mph or let it blow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project 200mph or let it blow

Well heres a thread for my quest to hit 200mph in the Standing Mile with a TRUE driven street car now using a UPP Turbo variant swap in my Vette from the old 416 nitrous stroker. Previous setup was a 2 stage nitrous'd LME built 416 used for everything possible in racing. I've got 3 miles on this new combo as I just need to finish putting the front end back on and have the car inspected for current licensing and registration. So when I'm home in a couple weeks I'll finish the fresh rebuilt RXT break in and hit the dyno. Low boost will be 10psi and high will be just before the smoke lets out, or maybe 20psi.

New Motor
    2005 LQ4 stock shortlock w/88k miles.
    Lightly ported stock 317 heads with BT dual springs
    custom "Stock48" Isky cam 219/223 0.592 111.4 cam
    Edelbrock Pro-Flo intake w/90mm LS2 throttle body.
    Stock 2002+ manifolds, light port matching
    Melling 295 oil pump with stock rated pressure spring
    LIngenfelter oil block, 10AN cooler lines and big front oil cooler
    Ebay headstuds, GM ex manifold studs, and LS9 gaskets
    Texas speed 3" x-pipe (leftover from old setup)
    ZO6 catback

Turbo kit is the UPP standard kit with 2.5" up and downpipes. The kit is about 65% of it's original starting point. As I changed what I didn't like or what didn't fit. So original up-pipes, turbos, waste gates, intercooler, and driver downpipe are intact. Passenger downpipe, 1/2 of the cold piping, all oil lines, radiator cover shroud, and other knick knack stuff were changed. Oil return is to 10AN fitting welded to oil pan.

Fueling is an old Racetronix 255 w/hotwire until 2lbs, then Magnafuel 4303 kicks in. Lines are 8an each pump to "Y" feed line (in the rear by tank) that goes 10AN to Edelbrock rails. 8AN from rail to Aeromotive regulators and 8AN back to tank. Injectors are 96lb/hr@3Bar FIC from UPP. I used the ECS fuel hat and am happy with it for the most part as I used the stock GM gasket on both sides to keep it from leaking. I also have a dual nozzle Snow kit and will be using Boost Juice for cooling mainly. I run pump gas, as I race and drive this car all over the country, and pump gas is everywhere.

Boost and Meth controllers mounting

Front View

Driver's side (loose line is tidied up)

Passenger side

PCM, Meth tank, boost solenoid

Oil cooler, meth pump, meth solenoid, and intercooler

Magnafuel 4303 and line arrangement

Idle video, 2nd start. 14" Vacuum at 750 rms and 14-14.2 avg idle running 3 Barr COS olsd tune.
    Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

I was able to be home for a few days. Put the car back together and got 15 miles on it with the stock PCM and 3 Bar OS. These FIC injectors actually idle really well from 700 rpm setting to 850rpm. I need to modify the stock master for adjust-ability but otherwise everything's good to go for the rebuilt RXT break in. I desperately need to order a hood as cutting the stock hood is gonna be a pita. I'll keep updating as time allows. Dyno results will prob be mid January.

Comment

Street tuning and breaking the clutch in currently with the lovely +/-28 degree weather. The setup has 94 miles at the moment and waiting for the 500 mark to start beating the piss outta the car. Boost rolls in nice going off the 8lb waste-gates only. I can see 3lbs by 2400 in 5th and 4th gear is pretty much the same, easy on the throttle. No bad noises, waste-gates and bov aren't annoying, kinda liking driving the car again. New hood is cut but needs to be reinforced and I have to oval the fender holes to pull them in and close the damn hood gap at the A-pillars :toetap: Oh my fuel gauge issue was a broken board for the float contact path.

Comment

Currently I have 190 miles on the setup. Making 8 #'s by 3k rpms with ease. I need to slowly work up the boost to target of 18-20 #'s on 112/92 mix with a little water/meth injection. Been a pain getting everything to work, but it is starting to show a positive outcome. Street boost will be 10 #'s and race will be the 18-20 #'s. Ive gotta wire in an old nitrous window switch to use as a traction control boost switch for the drag strip sometime soon also.

Comment

Looking foward to more updates! What are you using to tune? What did it run with the N2O set up? Have you talked to the guy that ran in Ohio with the black twin turbo vette, I think it was running upper 190's can not remember if he got 200 or not. Glad to hear you like driving the car!
          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
          ​​​​​​

Comment

I went 192.12 2years ago in Wilmington with a 150 shot on my 416. To my knowledge Mark in the ZVN twin STS Vette has bested my be .6mph. Last I knew he was running straight C16 fuel also.

Comment

Oh iuse EfiLive to tune with dual PLX widebands and a single egt probe.

Comment

I'm looking forward to seeing you in May. I'll be there though the S-10 probably won't be running yet. I'm thinking of towing it out so Keith and Joe can look it over and tell me where I'm going wrong.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                  I'm looking forward to seeing you in May. I'll be there though the S-10 probably won't be running yet. I'm thinking of towing it out so Keith and Joe can look it over and tell me where I'm going wrong. Dan
                  Keith will tell you your going wrong with a diesel, but still do that funky diet coke inhaling smile. Joe will do the head shake and cross armed chin grab before saying "we can make it work, not that far off."

Comment

Actually I've been shooting them Email questions as I go along so I don't think I'm TOO far off but there's a ton o' fabrication on this one. Surprisingly, no one makes a swap kit for this conversion.

I think you've pretty well summed up their likely responses, though.

Dan

Comment

I wasn't able to get the boost control I wanted using a single solenoid for the 2 wastegates. I swapped to a dual solenoid single wastegate port setup. Boost comes in faster and smoother now with no drop off in upper rpms now. Progress is slow but tuned to 14#'s reliably now on pump gas.

Comment

Been to the dyno yet?

PB 60' 1.49
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                          Been to the dyno yet?
                          When I make it home from Wilmington I'll use the Dynocom dyno at the shop, on the low and high boost settings. Until then I'll just keep pluggin away on the street when I can.

New tire/gas jug carrier before trimming excess off and painting

Rewired the stereo and cleaned up the hatch, to actually use the car for fun again

Comment

lots of poo stuffed into that little bag...looks like it should be a real kick in the ass to drive. Keep the updates coming
                            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Did it go 200 or Blow?

PB 60' 1.49
                              ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                              X