No announcement yet.

The War Wagon... decaring wars on the grocery store since 1966

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no pictures of the boring stuff I did today.

found a machine shop that may be able to take care of the drive-shaft, going to measure it again tomorrow and take it over there.

got the few bolts I needed for the bell-housing, got them bolted in and tightened. got the starter back in and hooked back up.

most importantly, I got the issue with the transmission cross-member fixed. had to extend the holes in the mount that bolts to the transmission, maybe a 1/8th of an inch, and had to enlarge the holes on one side of the frame mount a tiny bit and that did the trick, the transmission crossmember is now bolted in tight.

was also going to mount the transmission dipstick, when I bought the transmission, it came with a lokar braided stainless/flexible dipstick tube. found a good spot to mount it to the firewall, just need to drill holes for it, but I cant find my bits, I think the last time my parents came to visit, my dad and I were working in the garage, think he might have grabbed them by mistake.

the shift linkage should be here tomorrow
    Hellinor- 2005 Mustang GT-Bolt ons, in need of a turbo

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

Comment

dropped the driveshaft off to the machine shop, they are going to make a new one for me instead of using the old one. gave them the length, so they should take care of me. should be done in a couple days too.

Fedex didnt deliver my linkage today, which it typical. when UPS ships something from summit, I got it in two days, Fedex, well I hope its here tomorrow.

going to have to wait till next pay to order the last bit of parts, but its getting there.

I just cannot wait for this car to be done. will have some pictures up tomorrow.

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

Comment

Got stuff done! pictures!

taking the drive shaft off to the machine shop, cleaned it up before it went into the back of the mustang. should be back in a couple days

a little blurry, but here is where I mounted the dipstick for the trans. It came free with my transmission and it does the job, its out of the way, and easy to get at. ignore the blue tape thats just holding that wire out of the way until I can get a clip to secure it

the Lokar shift linkage showed up, had to trim a few inches off the bar to make it the right length and had to play with the shifter selector arm a few times to get the positioning right, but it shifts into all the gears with no binding. its nice and smooth and the needle even sort of lines up with the letters on the column indicator. I put a light bend in the bar too but overall its strong sturdy and fool proof.

might be the nicest thing on the car right now.

I am quite happy with myself, I will be able to finish it up in a couple weeks after the next pay check

as for budget...

previous cost 5,102

added expenses

quart of trans fluid to fill converter $6
        Lokar shift linkage w/shipping $69
        distributor kit $70
        assorted hardware $5
        driveshaft $275

total build cost so far

$5,527

things left to buy to finish up trans swap

TV cable kit from Bowtie overdrives
        TCI overdrive controller
        Trans filter
        drain plug kit
        gasket/fluid etc
        trans cooler lines/fittings
        aux trans cooler
        tachometer
        Last edited by Shelty; June 6, 2014, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Who supplied the transmission? My 700r4 came from TCI and the only control over the lockup convertor is a vacuum switch, 12v source, and a ground wire. The 12v & ground wires can be run through switches. I'm sure I have the directions if you want me to scan/post them.
          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Originally posted by 68scott385 View Post
            Who supplied the transmission? My 700r4 came from TCI and the only control over the lockup convertor is a vacuum switch, 12v source, and a ground wire. The 12v & ground wires can be run through switches. I'm sure I have the directions if you want me to scan/post them.
            I bought it from some dude who had it in his 32 ford. I cant remember how he said he had the overdrive wired. I think he said he had it on a switch. I really cant remember though.

Comment

I check this thread daily for updates. I know other people have a life, I'm just anxious to see what happen(s)/(ed). I'll take another patient pill and check back tomorrow.

Comment

I check this thread daily for updates. I know other people have a life, I'm just anxious to see what happen(s)/(ed). I'll take another patient pill and check back tomorrow.
                You...are...not...alone...

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                  You...are...not...alone...
                  Nice to know I'm in good company.

Comment

Sorry guys, not much has happened lately. been a pretty crazy week at work. got the driveshaft back from the machine shop this week and installed it. going to be ordering some more parts on monday or tuesday. Just waiting for payday.

now here is a question. I am going to install an auxillary trans cooler to help keep the 700r4 alive. I need to make new transmission lines anyway, do I need to run hard lines? or can I get away with just running rubber lines? will the pressure be too much for just rubber lines?

Comment

• My trans coller has rubber....
                      Local person
                      sigpic

Comment

• cool thanks man, I dont want to run hard lines, dont really want to bend them up to fit under the car

Comment

• On my Monte Carlo I ran braided line from the transmission to the radiator, from there to the cooler, and from the cooler back to the transmission. Yes, I took the most expensive route possible short of gold tubing.

On my wagon I made a new tube coming out of the radiator to the cooler and adapted it to braided with a collared fitting. I ran braided out of the cooler back to the factory ATF return line with another steel-to-AN adapter.

I'm sure (reasonably) that rubber line specifically for ATF use would be fine but make darn sure it isn't rubbing anywhere that might put a hole in the line. In more stash of parts that may never get used I have a complete set factory trans cooler lines for a G3 A-body and I'm pretty sure they did not come from the car with braided cooler lines.

Don't sweat the patience remark, if you left the same comment in my thread I have to tell you to double up on the patient pills.

fwiw...the factory trans cooler lines on all the junk I've had ran right next to the oil pan and under the fuel pump before turning out/up to the radiator, maybe 4 bends, 6 if you jiggywidit... just sayin' it'd be UBER cool to say you bent your own cooler lines.........I'm just rambling because I'm at a stand still for the moment...

Comment

• thanks. The one thing I have to figure out is the fitting sizes for everything., I need the fitting sizes for the 700r4 (I think they are 1/4 inch) whatever the trans cooler will be, and what the fittings are on the stock lines into the radiator

I think for the line into the radiator, I may cut the hard line long enough to double flare the end of it, then clamp on a rubber/braided line. idk, I'll figure it out.

and dont worry about the patience pills lol, trust me, no one wants this project done more than I do.

Comment

• The transmission case has (should have) pipe threads in it, I forget exactly what size at the moment.

Comment

• I have a 51 Internationad that had a 318/auto in it.. Was in the mud in the barnyard when suddenly it quit spinning the tires.. The rubber hose spit off the cooler with 2 clamps... Now I probably should have tightened them some or made sure I was using oil rated hose (I didnt do the swap) .. Hose is fine! Use them to loop out derby trannies cooling lines.. But do use oil rated hose, not fuel hose!

Comment

Working...
                                X