Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new plan... get a smaller balancer
    Hellinor- 2005 Mustang GT-Bolt ons, in need of a turbo

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

Comment

• Are you using a short water pump? I have a possible solution for a long pump using later brackets. I had issues with my p/s bracket not working with the CC two piece front cover.

FWIW, I make my own throttle/tv cable brackets out of mild angle steel. The tv bracket is solid as the cable has enough adjustment in it. I make the throttle bracket so it has 1.5" - 2" of adjustment.

I think you can get valve cover adapters that allow older perimeter-bolt valve covers to be used on center-bolt heads. I don't know if that's a big concern for you or not. You said period correct and my first thought was a set of old-school finned aluminum valve covers. I know, first things first.
      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

• thanks not so concerned for the valve covers. yeah Ive got the short waterpump. using the long water pump wont work for me, id have to buy more to get that to work.

the bow tie OD kit is pretty trick, has a cam mechanism that bolts to the carb that allows for quite a bit of adjustment.

but in the long run, just cheaper and less painful to just get a 6 inch balancer and sell the 8 inch.

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

Comment

• Buying a entirely new accessory drive and long water pump to make a balancer work seems like remodeling the kitchen to match your new dish towels.

Since both the original 327 and 355 are internally balanced, the best solution is to just get a balancer that for his car's original design. Plus, there is not a problem with pulley alignment.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• I wasn't suggesting using a long pump, just that I had run into a similar problem with a long pump and could offer a suggestion if he was using a long pump.
            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

• picked up the smaller balancer today. I gotta rent the tools to remove the big one and install the small one.

also bought my water pump.

anyone want to buy an 8 inch balancer? lol its basically new

Comment

• waterpump is painted.... will go on once I order bolts.... so mental checklist.....

remove/replace balancer
                remount crank pulley/bolt
                mount power steering
                order/install fuel pump
                order/install starter
                install converter bolts
                TV cable linkage
                intall alternator
                get header gaskets
                paint passenger header
                install both sides permanatly
                plugs/wires
                waterpump bolts/install and pulley and fan/shroud
                new belts
                have radiator cleaned and reninstall
                new battery
                anything else I forgot
                ????
                profit

plan on getting it fired up some time next month as budget/time allows.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shelty View Post
                  waterpump is painted.... will go on once I order bolts.... so mental checklist.....

remove/replace balancer
                  remount crank pulley/bolt
                  mount power steering
                  order/install fuel pump
                  order/install starter
                  install converter bolts
                  TV cable linkage
                  intall alternator
                  get header gaskets
                  paint passenger header
                  install both sides permanatly
                  plugs/wires
                  waterpump bolts/install and pulley and fan/shroud
                  new belts
                  have radiator cleaned and reninstall
                  new battery
                  anything else I forgot
                  ????
                  profit

plan on getting it fired up some time next month as budget/time allows.

Don't forget fuel pump's pushrod and mounting plate. You can reuse your old ones if you want or go new. If you do use the old one, measure it's length to be sure it is not worn. 5.75" is what you want. New stock ones are about $10.00. They are the same throughout the 350's build life.

As for new bolts, I have gotten many new bolts from Tractor Supply. $4.00/lb for grade 8 zinc coated. There are a couple sizes that many old cars use, but no one carries, 3/8"x1.25" and 2.25" lengths. There is a reason why I have never thrown away an old bolt that isn't stripped or bent.
                  Last edited by Scott Liggett; September 18, 2015, 06:34 AM.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• I reused the old one off the old motor. was in good shape and showed hardly any wear.

rented the tools to swap the balancer. got that done in record time, remounted the crank pulley, mounted the power steering brackets and got the pump most fo the way bolted in, I cant find the baggie I put the bolts in... its somewhere in my garage, I'll find them.

the driver side header is just on there to keep it in place and from being in a bad spot. I also got the flexplate to converter bolts on. water pump is painted, just need to get bolts to mount it.

pic

Last edited by Shelty; September 18, 2015, 06:40 PM.

Comment

• i think these would look cool if in the budget... Click image for larger version

Name:	11040_bl_lg.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	1058680
                      Last edited by silver_bullet; September 19, 2015, 05:43 AM.
                      Patrick & Tammy
                      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• those are awesome looking!

Comment

• I agree! But wow!
                          Local person
                          sigpic

Comment

• here's the link:
                            Patrick & Tammy
                            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• bookmarked for sure. those are pretty, but out of budget right now. once I get it running and all the trouble shooting they will be on the list for sure. once the motor is done and its dialed in, the interior is gonna get more attention

Comment

• those are definitely cool valve covers and the most expensive I have ever seen short of custom one offs. Yikes.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X