No announcement yet.

The War Wagon... decaring wars on the grocery store since 1966

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• passenger header on, got the new battery cables on. upper rad hose is replaced, lower one I got from autozone was too short, so I returned it. list is getting short.

TV cable kit -ordered
    trans inspection cover-ordered
    tighten driver side motor mount (im lazy and havnt done it)
    spark plugs
    battery
    install alternator
    ground straps for motor
    lower rad hose
    coolant
    plumb fuel lines to pump and then from pump to carb
    return spring for carb

much shorter than it was last time I made a list.
    Last edited by Shelty; October 9, 2015, 05:19 PM.
    Hellinor- 2005 Mustang GT-Bolt ons, in need of a turbo

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

Comment

• Nice progress.I've been so busy lately.my son was getting married, he lives in Havre de Grace. Now to get back into the swing of things. I work out of state during the week and it totally sucks getting anything done on my car. I think this past weekend I got the old exhaust headers off my GT40P motor and got the motor bracket bolted on for the engine stand. That was a good weekend for me car wise.
      Tom
      Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• nice! yeah progress has been up and down on this ol' bucket lol. finally got the rad hoses sorted out, and the engine partially filled with coolant. it only took 2 tries with the lower rad hose lol. pcv hooked up as well.

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

Comment

• got busy over the weekend as some parts showed up.

-Fuel lines plumbed.
          -battery installed
          -TV bracket and linkage installed.
          -return spring installed
          -Throttle linkage hooked up.
          -alternator installed
          -inspection cover installed (after a little bit of trimming)
          all vacuum hoses installed

primed the motor, making 60lbs of oil pressure cranking over according to my old sunpro

need to get spark plugs... and gas. I forgot I basically ran the tank down to empty on the old motor.

Comment

• got spark plugs and dumped a few gallons of ethanol free 93 octane in (small little mom/pop gas station 3 miles from my house sells it)

and....

she runs, well sorta.

she runs as long as you keep the RPMs up. so I used that opportunity to break in the cam.

she wont hold idle, and she will backfire through the carb AND the exhaust, so I need to play with the timing and possibly adjust the carb. and put more gas in it, because It ate a bit of gas breaking in.

I know a few people who can give me a hand with that so I dont break anything. but she sounds pretty good, which makes me happy. only leak ive found is a vacuum leak, I hear air hissing at the brake booster, so I need to replace the seal where the hose goes to the engine.

but we have a running car!

Comment

• Plug that vacuum leak and try again. Those suckers (literally) will drive you nuts!

Dan

Comment

• brake booster can be a BIG leak- plug that, bet it idles.
                Local person
                sigpic

Comment

• My '65's original brake booster quit not long after I bought the car. It would raise the idle speed and run rough when I hit the brakes. I just pulled the hose and drove it without the booster for a few years. Personally, I liked it better that way with the drums as it was easier to control brake lock up. I got a new booster with the disc brake kit I bought.
                  BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Great News! Looking forward to smoky burnout pic/video.
                    Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
                    74 Nova Project
                    66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
                    79 Chevy Truck Project
                    1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• peg leg, bill?
                      Local person
                      sigpic

Comment

• Im going to block off the booster when I work on it next, which will probably be tomorrow. I need to get a light on it too to see how the timing is to cure the backfiring.

it sounds awesome though when you rev it up... which is how it stays running lol.

now DFQ.... in my line of work, its known as a Dumb F***ing Question. my balancer is a stock napa brand balancer. the only mark it has on it is the groove for TDC. The engine has the stock metal pointer on it. how do I check timing with just that mark? Do I get a piston stop, and turn the motor over by hand until I hit TDC on cylinder 1, then stick timing tape on the balancer where it lines up with the 0 mark on the pointer? or do I get the tape and stick it on so the groove is aligned with TDC on the tape? This is the first time Ive done anything with adjusting timing on a car, so I want to make sure I get it right. I have a feeling that the issues it has with running is timing related (and that vacuum leak)

Comment

• You can for sure use a piston stop to verify TDC then install the tape. Be sure you get the right tape for your dampner diameter. If you have a dial type timing light you can do it that way but if your TDC is off you'll get bad results.

Dan
                          Last edited by DanStokes; October 21, 2015, 04:09 PM.

Comment

• With the heads on I use a piston stop to mark the balance before & after tdc. Half way between marks IS zero. Then you put the zero mark of the tape on the zero mark you made.
                            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

• Originally posted by 68scott385 View Post
                              With the heads on I use a piston stop to mark the balance before & after tdc. Half way between marks IS zero. Then you put the zero mark of the tape on the zero mark you made.
                              I gotcha. is that when you spin it one way until it hits the stop, then spin it the opposite way until you hit the stop again?

thanks for the tips. Im new at this, I just dont want to mess it up or pull it apart if I dont have to
                              Last edited by Shelty; October 21, 2015, 05:12 PM.

Comment

• You got the process. This will sound dumb but go slowly! It is really unnerving when you bang your piston into the stop hard! Once you have both stopping spots marked on the dampner get a good measurement and divide by2. Measure out that amount and you have your accurate TDC. I usually punch a dimple there so it's preserved - a paint mark can get wiped or washed off.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X