No announcement yet.

The War Wagon... decaring wars on the grocery store since 1966

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slightly off topic but with lock washers. I never put a flat washer under a lock washer. It's defeating the purpose. You've done away with that sharp edge of the washer to dig in. Dan, you're right, I've seen a lot of broken star washers.
    Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• She LIVES! AGAIN!

got it fired back up today, had to jump it as for some reason the battery died. had a new small issues to fix prior to starting it back up. but its pretty much good to go now. tomorrow I plan on taking it out for a drive. the pressure gauge I had attached to the trans is peaking out at around 250 psi, so that new valve body is doing its job. I just need to remove the gauge since its temporary and then I can get her off the stands and see how she behaves.
      Hellinor- 2005 Mustang GT-Bolt ons, in need of a turbo

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

Comment

• Good to hear that she will be terrorizing shopping markets again soon!
        Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Well hit another problem.

I get her all ready to go for a spin around the block. I get to the end of the street and hear a pop and a hiss. Then I see smoke billowing from the hood. I throw it in reverse and go back into my driveway. Pop the hood and ATF is everywhere. It's hard to tell if a line burst or if I overfilled it as fluid is all over the pass side. So I shut it off and open the garage to pull it back in. I start it and then I hear the starter is still engaged so I turn the key off. And it's still running. I pull the negative battery cable and it dies. Ok weird shouldn't it stay running? . I go to hook it back up and the starter turns on. It's just spinning not engaging the flexplate at all. I walk it with a jack handle and it won't stop sticking.

So I ask, what broke?
          Last edited by Shelty; November 29, 2015, 05:26 PM.

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

Comment

• Well solved the fluid mystery. The damn servo cover popped off somehow. The snap ring is hanging from it. Hell if I know how that happened

Last edited by Shelty; November 29, 2015, 08:22 PM.

Comment

• well, after doing some more digging.... turns out that there was more that went wrong than initially thought.

im guessing it was a flaw in the metal that caused this to crack off like that. so, now I need a new transmission. no way that can be repaired.

so here are my options, the valvebody kit I have is for the pre 87 transmission, in 87 they changed the internals a bit, adding an auxiliary solenoid among other changes.

1. find another 84-86 700r4, rebuild if necessary, reinstall the TCI valvebody parts.
              1.5 find a case, pull my broken trans out, and have everything transferred over to the new case
              2. bite the bullet and drop major coin for a TCI streetfighter transmission, which has the same valvebody internals and isnt much more expensive than the streetrodder. figure if I go that route, might as well go all the way...then sell what I can from the old trans to recoup the cost.
              3. Order a rebuilt trans from Monster transmission, much cheaper (call first to find out if I can get one that is pre 87 so I can reuse my valvebody)
              4. ditch the 700r4 all together and get a 4L60/70/80 and bite the bullet on the controller
              5. to hell with autos, and convert the car to a manual transmission, which would be an undertaking.
              6. put the grungy powerglide back in the car, I dont want to do this, as most of the old linkage parts are broken or now missing, id need another driveshaft and I dont want to take a step backwards....
              7. sell it, buy a honda and cry
              Last edited by Shelty; November 29, 2015, 08:37 PM.

Comment

• Big car, some power, some traction, manual will be fun..
                Talk to Scott, he put a manual in his.. Beats the wee out of it on the road course too..
                I've got a Muncie in my 57 Sedan Delivery.. Not as heavy as your yacht. I row..

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                  Big car, some power, some traction, manual will be fun..
                  Talk to Scott, he put a manual in his.. Beats the wee out of it on the road course too..
                  I've got a Muncie in my 57 Sedan Delivery.. Not as heavy as your yacht. I row..
                  Its an Idea, There are a few Muncies and super T10s on the local craigslist for sale.

im just grasping at straws right now. just trying to figure out what to do with this turd.... this was a huge setback

Comment

• I'll bet!
                    Had a Lincoln Mark 7 for a derby car.. Took the tranny out cuz it went bad before I got it.. It was pre-derbied, the other was bad.. Had a tranny guy go over the one I pulled out 4 times before I junked it.. Motor/tranny went in a project 64 Ford pu.. Every derby that tranny needed work!
                    I stick with GM now..

Comment

• One thing I need to figure out if the cases for the 700r4 is the same throughout the years, if they are, there are several empty cases on ebay for like 100 bucks, then I can have a transmission shop move everything over to the new case.

Comment

• ok, so here is the plan, I am talking to someone who can rebuild my transmission, basically move all my parts over to a new case, replace the clutches with some better ones while its apart, maybe new bands too, parts and labor with a new case will be around 900 bucks. He said he can get me an 82-86 case so everything works.

right now, thats the most cost effective option vs, trying to find another transmission with a questionable history, or getting a TCI street fighter, or swapping to manual, which would be even more expensive, even if I went with just a Muncie or a Super T-10 vs a T-5 or a T56 or an prohibitively expensive TKO 500. As cool as a stick would be in this car, its a factory auto car, and it would be less painful just to keep it an automatic. the first two options are expensive cheapest ranging around 900 bucks for just the box, no bellhousing, one guy wanting 600 for one thats apart, and Id need to still get all the supporting parts, a T-5 wouldnt live behind my engine for long, and a T56 would require a good deal of work on the tunnel that I dont want to do. and the cheapest Ive seen a TKO is 2500 bucks... sans bellhousing at that.

now I just need to save up, and deal with pulling the broken trans out, which will be fun, not.

Comment

• For $900 you can get a trans from Summit last i looked.
                          "I live for myself and I answer to nobody."

-Steve McQueen

Comment

• Originally posted by Runner1972 View Post
                            For $900 you can get a trans from Summit last i looked.
                            I looked into that, I didnt see one that was less than 1800 bucks. main reason I want to stay with what I have got inside the trans is I need an 82-86 case, my 300 dollar valvebody thats brand new wont work with a later trans.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shelty View Post

I looked into that, I didnt see one that was less than 1800 bucks. main reason I want to stay with what I have got inside the trans is I need an 82-86 case, my 300 dollar valvebody thats brand new wont work with a later trans.

That sucks I thought you had a turbo 350 in the wagon. Most of the local transmission guys in town here don't even want to be bothered with rebuilding anymore.

"I live for myself and I answer to nobody."

-Steve McQueen

Comment

• Originally posted by Runner1972 View Post

That sucks I thought you had a turbo 350 in the wagon. Most of the local transmission guys in town here don't even want to be bothered with rebuilding anymore.
                                some days I think had i done that i'd be better off.... but I wanted overdrive.

Comment

Working...
                                X