No announcement yet.

The War Wagon... decaring wars on the grocery store since 1966

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make sure you get some hot ATF in your hair. It will make it nice and shiny.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
      Make sure you get some hot ATF in your hair. It will make it nice and shiny.
      1950's styling!

Comment

• That's undercoating!
        Last edited by Huskinhano; December 14, 2015, 06:16 AM. Reason: stupid autocorrect
        Tom
        Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• I wish I could say, no news its good news. I havnt updated this thread in a while. Despite my better judgement, I still have the wagon. After the trans blew up, I yanked it out, and took it to a friend of a coworker who is a head tech over at the local GM dealer. This was about a month ago. Been building transmissions for close to 25 years. He is going to find me a new 700r4 case thats the right model year (in 87 they changed internally) as mine is an 86, and id prefer to not have to ditch that brand new valvebody that has all of 10 feet on it. He had a few customers ahead of me, which was no big deal, as due to the cold weather and holidays, Im in no real hurry. He is going to rebuild what i got, and upgrade a few parts as well as swap the new valvebody over.

his shop was pretty cool. He likes his turbo cars, as he is working on a customers 3.8 turbo Firebird thats pretty built up, and putting a built and stroked 6 cyl into a grand national thats also getting a bigger turbo and other goodies.

in the meantime, I need to address the starter, as the napa silver starter somehow broke as well, the solenoid went or something as it just runs when it has power. doesnt engage the flexplate, just spins and spins and spins.

so. yeah, car is back on jackstands where its spent a majority of 2015. maybe I'll get to drive it sometime this year.

and, the ATF stain down my street is still there.
          Hellinor- 2005 Mustang GT-Bolt ons, in need of a turbo

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

Comment

• Hey,you can still do little things. That's the plan with the 72 for this winter

I went though 5 starters in the 72 a few years back. I think they were napa brand and USA Reman.
            "I live for myself and I answer to nobody."

-Steve McQueen

Comment

• I'll give my standard starter rap and suggest that you find your local starter/alternator rebuilder. They're in your community and have something invested in maintaining a good reputation. I've always done well that way both on MI and now here. The down side is that if you're traveling they won't be available in case warranty work is needed but my experience has been that once you use it around town for a while you can have confidence in it. Works for me.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                I'll give my standard starter rap and suggest that you find your local starter/alternator rebuilder. They're in your community and have something invested in maintaining a good reputation. I've always done well that way both on MI and now here. The down side is that if you're traveling they won't be available in case warranty work is needed but my experience has been that once you use it around town for a while you can have confidence in it. Works for me.

Dan
                thanks for the advice. I'll see if any are local. My city is a decent size, hopefully there is a place in town that does that sort of work.

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

Comment

• We all have had these set backs from unexpected break downs and even crashes. (See Doug Garrison's crash of his '64 GTO) Plus other financial issues that slow down and detour our builds and classic cars. One of my own cars is sitting as well until I get finances to fix it. But, we move on, slower than we hoped. Keep moving forward. I am sure there are other small things that can fixed or improved while you wait on your transmission.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• thanks. yeah there are a few small things I can do while, I wait. the starter, clean up some wiring, reorganize the spark plug wires, etc.

I want to get this car to be reliable, so I can save and save to Turbo the mustang.

Comment

• Been quite some time with no update.

Transmission will be going back together this week. the new case is ready to go, and the parts should be here already. upgrading to a 10 vane pump, and a 5 pinion planetary. my builder told me that there was a bit of play in the 3/4 clutches and a little bit of heat damage, but nothing too out of the ordinary. when I get it back together i will be adding an external cooler, which I never got around to doing. reusing the TCI valvebody of course, and I can finally get it dialed in, and focus on the next project.... which like I mentioned in my last post, will be a little forced induction for my S-197 I have that kit picked out already, pretty much a bolt in kit.

once the 700r4 is back, I'll have pictures of all the fun bits

Comment

• Pictures of the fun bits? Does that mean pictures of you lying in a puddle of trans fluid wrestling that 700R4 back into your car, while smiling like a fool?

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                          Pictures of the fun bits? Does that mean pictures of you lying in a puddle of trans fluid wrestling that 700R4 back into your car, while smiling like a fool?
                          probably. though it will be pics of the aftermath, as I wouldnt have anyone to hold the camera.

Comment

• Transmission is back. been back a few days, but Ive been busy with work. I painted it today, I ordered some stuff, which should be here tomorrow, Ive got two days off, its supposed to rain, and I have no other plans, so I should have the trans back in the car by wednesday

what was done to it.
                            replaced the case
                            new clutchpacks
                            tightened up the 3/4 clutch pack.
                            5 pinion planetary upgrade
                            new 10 vane pump,
                            reused my TCI valvebody kit.

so it should live behind my engine
                            Last edited by Shelty; April 11, 2016, 09:32 PM.

Comment

• I got the trans back into the car today. I didnt even need to go to the gym after that workout. Painted the transmission black, put on a few bits that would be hard to put on in car, and proceeded with heavy lifting

using a small pallet that a gun safe came on, I was able to modify it so I could slide my floor jack under it to make an impromptu transmission jack..... that the transmission decided it wanted to slip off of it twice. after some revision, I managed to get it bolted to the engine and get the trans mount in. all the bolts are only finger tight right now, and nothing else is hooked up, but the hard part is done.

this is what the wagon has looked like since December

Transmission the day it showed up

I purchased a universal trans cooler from a local speed shop, still have not hooked it up, and I need two more AN fittings.

finally in the car

Last edited by Shelty; April 13, 2016, 06:12 PM.

Comment

• Driveshaft is in
                                cross-member tightened up
                                shift linkage hooked up
                                dipstick in
                                broken starter removed
                                I figured out how im routing the lines for the external cooler.

Hope to have it back on the road next week

Comment

Working...
                                X