Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 68scott385
    replied
    That certainly is the most cost effective route. My only concern would be how hard it will be to get the lines in with the engine/trans bolted in place.

Leave a comment:

• Shelty
    replied
    thanks man, yeah I am a bit nervous. this is one of the most involved projects I have done. I'll probably save the lines for last, i dont know if I want to run a hardline or braided yet, depends on the cost. going to put in an order to summit this week.

also I think I found what I needed. thank God for the internet lol

http://www.lategreatchevy.com/full-s...1958-1966.html
    Last edited by Shelty; June 15, 2014, 02:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 68scott385
    replied
    Uh, no & yes. The brass fittings do unscrew out of the transmission case and yes you are over thinking it, sorta kinda maybe. I think you may be nervous and that's understandable but don't be. I haven't been in the garage since we started talking about trans cooler fittings or I would be able to say what size each end is. Short of a specific size I can say they are standard (easy to find) sizes, not some weird application specific oddity. The threads visible in your picture are for metal tube/flare fittings. The threads on the back side of the fittings, the ones in the transmission case, are pipe thread. The adapter in your link will/should (if the case threads are 1/4npt) be the one(s) to use if you were going to use braided line.

Leave a comment:

• Shelty
    replied
    here is a picture of the fittings on the side of transmission for the cooler lines. The brass fittings pictured do NOT come out of the transmission correct?

will this fitting fit? the inside of the fitting on the trans are threaded, and what I found on the TCI website is that the fittings on the 700r4 are 1/4 inch

http://www.anfittingsdirect.com/prod...e831fbfe2ce321

am I overthinking this?
    Last edited by Shelty; June 14, 2014, 05:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Shelty
    replied
    yeah, I cannot remember the proper fitting size, will go down to napa to see what they have. Napa has transmission specific line for a couple dollars a foot. I will have to see what they have, just to make something work for now I can always get braided line later down the road if I need it. . I know fuel line eventually goes bad with ATF in it.

thanks guys
    Last edited by Shelty; June 14, 2014, 03:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    I have a 51 Internationad that had a 318/auto in it.. Was in the mud in the barnyard when suddenly it quit spinning the tires.. The rubber hose spit off the cooler with 2 clamps... Now I probably should have tightened them some or made sure I was using oil rated hose (I didnt do the swap) .. Hose is fine! Use them to loop out derby trannies cooling lines.. But do use oil rated hose, not fuel hose!

Leave a comment:

• 68scott385
    replied
    The transmission case has (should have) pipe threads in it, I forget exactly what size at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• Shelty
    replied
    thanks. The one thing I have to figure out is the fitting sizes for everything., I need the fitting sizes for the 700r4 (I think they are 1/4 inch) whatever the trans cooler will be, and what the fittings are on the stock lines into the radiator

I think for the line into the radiator, I may cut the hard line long enough to double flare the end of it, then clamp on a rubber/braided line. idk, I'll figure it out.

and dont worry about the patience pills lol, trust me, no one wants this project done more than I do.

Leave a comment:

• 68scott385
    replied
    On my Monte Carlo I ran braided line from the transmission to the radiator, from there to the cooler, and from the cooler back to the transmission. Yes, I took the most expensive route possible short of gold tubing.

On my wagon I made a new tube coming out of the radiator to the cooler and adapted it to braided with a collared fitting. I ran braided out of the cooler back to the factory ATF return line with another steel-to-AN adapter.

I'm sure (reasonably) that rubber line specifically for ATF use would be fine but make darn sure it isn't rubbing anywhere that might put a hole in the line. In more stash of parts that may never get used I have a complete set factory trans cooler lines for a G3 A-body and I'm pretty sure they did not come from the car with braided cooler lines.

Don't sweat the patience remark, if you left the same comment in my thread I have to tell you to double up on the patient pills.

fwiw...the factory trans cooler lines on all the junk I've had ran right next to the oil pan and under the fuel pump before turning out/up to the radiator, maybe 4 bends, 6 if you jiggywidit... just sayin' it'd be UBER cool to say you bent your own cooler lines.........I'm just rambling because I'm at a stand still for the moment...

Leave a comment:

• Shelty
    replied
    cool thanks man, I dont want to run hard lines, dont really want to bend them up to fit under the car

Leave a comment:

• RustyRodder
    replied
    My trans coller has rubber....

Leave a comment:

• Shelty
    replied
    Sorry guys, not much has happened lately. been a pretty crazy week at work. got the driveshaft back from the machine shop this week and installed it. going to be ordering some more parts on monday or tuesday. Just waiting for payday.

now here is a question. I am going to install an auxillary trans cooler to help keep the 700r4 alive. I need to make new transmission lines anyway, do I need to run hard lines? or can I get away with just running rubber lines? will the pressure be too much for just rubber lines?

Leave a comment:

• 68scott385
    replied
    Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
    Originally posted by 68scott385 View Post
    I check this thread daily for updates. I know other people have a life, I'm just anxious to see what happen(s)/(ed). I'll take another patient pill and check back tomorrow.
    You...are...not...alone...
    Nice to know I'm in good company.

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    Originally posted by 68scott385 View Post
    I check this thread daily for updates. I know other people have a life, I'm just anxious to see what happen(s)/(ed). I'll take another patient pill and check back tomorrow.
    You...are...not...alone...

Leave a comment:

• 68scott385
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X