X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 68scott385
    replied
    Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
    Shower with DAWN dish soap! Cuts grease and oil...
    Ditto

I have my own bottle of Dawn in the shower & my wife knows to leave it alone, it's NOT for dishes.

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    Lava is fine for hands and such.. I carry a bottle in my truck with 2/3-1/3 mixture water/Dawn.. It is enough to sud up while walking to or looking for a faucet outside.. Use same amounts in the shower.. Dawn by itself is really something compared to other brands.. Not as abrasive.. But I respect what works for you..

Leave a comment:

• Shelty
    replied
    LAVA soap has become my friend.

nothing getting done today, I have the range today for work, and it is 35 a day to rent a trans jack, so I'm just going to get up at the buttcrack of dawn and pick it up from the rental place when they open tomorrow, then put it together so I can get the jack back to the place. hopefully wont take more than 2 hrs to get the transmission installed into the car. luckily I am off again tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    Shower with DAWN dish soap! Cuts grease and oil...

Leave a comment:

• Shelty
    replied
    hmm that could be a good alternative if I cant rent a jack.... I do have a good bit of wood around the garage, i could always improvise lol

the nearest harbor frieght is an hour from me. could always order this as well. but i hope that I can just rent one for a fraction of the price

Amazing deals on this 450Lb Low Lift Transmission Jack at Harbor Freight. Quality tools & low prices.

Leave a comment:

• 68scott385
    replied
    fwiw, I use this and a ratchet strap around it & the transmission. It's not the easiest thing to use but it has paid for itself a couple times over.

Leave a comment:

• Shelty
    replied
    thanks for the tips man.

today, was not very productive. dug the 700-r4 out of the corner of the garage, where its been buried since I bought it, behind the stock rims off my mustang. cleaned all the spider webs out of it. I put a quart of fluid into the converter and seated it on the pump, it clicked in 3 times, wont go in any more so its fully seated. I bolted the mount that came with the bowtie overdrives transmission cross member to the trans, but left it loose enough to wiggle around so I can get it centered when I get it into the car. to do things sensibly and safely, Im going to see if i can rent a transmission or ATV jack from one of the rental places near here so I can get the thing into the car. still not sure if I have to cut the exhaust yet. I measured, and I might be able to work around it.

Leave a comment:

• 68scott385
    replied
    Originally posted by Shelty View Post
    cool thanks man. I havnt gotten the lines out of the rad yet. can I get away with just bypassing the rad all together? or would I need to have a small fan on the external cooler for stop/go traffic/ slow speeds?
    The performance trans shop I use says to run both, through the radiator & the auxiliary cooler. From my personal experience, you don't have to run a fan just for the auxiliary cooler. The cooler needs to be mounted in front of the radiator or ac condenser or both. Many coolers come with rubber hose that IS NOT fuel line (trans shop advice) it is specifically made for trans fluid. I prefer to use AN fittings, there are rather pricey for the task but I've never had one leak or get a wear hole, just my preference.

IIRC, I have pics of my last trans cooler install in my Turd(le) thread, page 7, if you're interested. Link in my sig...

Trans shop I use, and so do half of the local racers, for reference...so you know it's not Aamco

Last edited by 68scott385; May 28, 2014, 09:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• usmlsmk
    replied
    Your pushin 50 you better finish something soon! Last thing I remember was the cadstang in 04s PGDs GEEEZZZ CHOP CHOP.
    Originally posted by AFFORDILLAC View Post
    I love wagons. That looks like it was a great buy. I like how you have a plan and are striving to keep it...hasn't worked for me 30+ yrs of playin with cars. LOL.

Leave a comment:

• usmlsmk
    replied
    Love it. Something about BIG cars

Leave a comment:

• Shelty
    replied
    cool thanks man. I havnt gotten the lines out of the rad yet. can I get away with just bypassing the rad all together? or would I need to have a small fan on the external cooler for stop/go traffic/ slow speeds?

Leave a comment:

• 68scott385
    replied

A visual to help in the plumbing of the auxiliary trans cooler. All GM auto Trans's use this plumbing schematic EXCEPT the 200-4r, it's in/out of the trans is opposite from the rest...can be referenced here.. http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w..._transmissions

Cooler lines
    Warning Note: All except TH200C and TH2004R- which are opposite.
    Top line of the transmission = in from the cooler
    Bottom line of the transmission = out to the cooler
    3/4 down the page or more
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 68scott385; May 27, 2014, 08:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Shelty
    replied
    lol, I can only imagine how long that took to clean up.

luckily this trans fluid was room temp, but even after a shower with a lava bar, I still feel like i am covered in it.

I am feeing quite confident that I dont need to swap flexplates. will attempt to test fit the beast tomorrow. i may drop or cut the exhaust if I cant get the 700 around it all, its all old 2 inch pipe, It looks stock, and probably could be.

will it be a good idea to fill the converter with some fresh fluid before I put it on the trans? or will that just be a an invitation to making another huge mess?

I am going to drop the pan once its in the car to replace the gasket, tap the pan for a drain plug and install the converter lock up, that I have to order, and put in a new filter

Leave a comment:

• Huskinhano
    replied
    LOL, you really did take a bath in ATF! Great project car. The low first gear in the 700 really helps get the car going. My 04 Isuzu Ascender, think Chevy Trailblazer has the electric version. With the 4.2 in the heavy truck, it moves off the line smartly.

Where in MD are you? My son and his GF live in Havre' de Grace
    Last edited by Huskinhano; May 27, 2014, 08:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Scott Liggett
    replied
    Hot trans fluid feels so good running up the arm into the armpit. There is good news. Hot trans fluid will make your hair shiny. And, you now have a new rag for checking the oil.

You should've seen the mess I made when I put two cars nose to nose in the warehouse, then pulled both engines/trans out of them. Both times, the driveshaft yoke I used to plug trans got caught on the firewall and pulled out. Twice heard the glug, glug of trans fluid pouring out the back of transmissions. Boss came in during the middle of the mess making. He was not pleased to see a lake of purple oil on the floor.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X