Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1988 chevy 1500 IRS swap / drift truck

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 1988 chevy 1500 IRS swap / drift truck

    EDIT, most pics are broken, they can be found here

    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=44977e08b0
    https://www.facebook.com/Jake.Gowans/photos_all

    the truck started up as a $3000 craigslist find with a very lumpy mystery motor, 4speed saginaw, 12bolt rear end, and lots of nice steel braided fuel lines coming from a fuel cell in the box.


    but after about 6 months of abuse the 12 bolt packed it in.



    the old fuel set up had lots of vapor lock issues so we planed on tackling that too.


    so back in november we started on installing this, 8.8 lsd from a Lincoln mark8 irs sub frame



    this is where the magic happens...






    Last edited by freetard; March 28, 2015, 12:21 AM.

  • #2



    in our battle against vapor look and because this truck does get used to haul parts a lot, be decided to move the fuel cell under the bed.






    front subframe mounts


    we decided to try out some airbags in the back, not to raise and lower the truck but incase we drop a couple of big block cores in the back we can pump up the bags and get it off the bump stops.



    cleaning and prep work, all the aluminum was wirr brushed with a angle grinder



    grade 8 ready rod for the the main subframe mounts.


    oh yeah, back in january the ceiling in the garage fell down, this made painting parts much easier







    many trips to mopac where made



    shocks are from a c3 corvette

    Comment


    • #3
      first time getting the truck on some level ground


      new return style fuel system with a mecanical pump. plug wires and holders are new too




      we pulled a bunch of caliper out of picknpull and found a massive rad that bolts right in from a 96 gmc 2500



      new front brakes instlled on drop spindles


      some nice mustang wheels









      Last edited by freetard; April 7, 2014, 01:07 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Cool project. Looks like the end product will be good for plenty of shits and giggles.
        Hard Work Guarantees Nothing - Lack of it Does!

        Drew Gerth - Newburgh, IN

        Comment


        • #5
          That was an interesting looking fuel pump. What kind is that?

          Hi flow pumps without a return line can cause the fuel to heat up causing vapor lock after a while. A hot day will make it worse.

          I really like the low buck, use your brains type of build this is. Please keep posting updates.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

          Resident Instigator

          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
            That was an interesting looking fuel pump. What kind is that? Hi flow pumps without a return line can cause the fuel to heat up causing vapor lock after a while. A hot day will make it worse. I really like the low buck, use your brains type of build this is. Please keep posting updates.
            Yeah it had a holley electric pump originally and late last summer we added the return line. But vapor lock persisted. With the new setup we also have less fuel line after the regulator, so less time for fuel to sit in the engine bay. The pump is from areomotive But I don't think they make it any more, it's nice because you can index the in and the out separate from each other

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by 91CCFirebird View Post
              Cool project. Looks like the end product will be good for plenty of shits and giggles.
              It's primarily designed to remove rubber from rear tires and turn money into noise

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by 91CCFirebird View Post
                Cool project. Looks like the end product will be good for plenty of shits and giggles.
                It's primarily designed to remove rubber from rear tires and turn money into noise

                Comment


                • #9
                  looks like fun! what spindles / rotors did you use on the front? Did you have to redrill them to fit the mustang wheels?
                  http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Russell View Post
                    looks like fun! what spindles / rotors did you use on the front? Did you have to redrill them to fit the mustang wheels?

                    extended cab trucks have slightly larger front brakes then single cab trucks, and we found a set of brand new extended cab brake at picknpull. total cost was like $50 for calipers rotors/hubs and pads. add some red caliper paint and there good as new. drop spindles came from belltech(2.5"), but again watch out for what cab size you have.

                    the mustang wheel have lots of back spacing so we needed to space them out, we found some 5x5" to 5x4.5 2" adapters. on the rear the mark8/thunderbird irs has a 5x108mm bolt circle, no adapters in that size so we had to get 99-04 cobra hubs pressed into the knuckles.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      new master cylinder from a newer chevy 1500 with 4 wheel disc brakes, its supposed to be a big up grade over the old style master. the distribution block is also new and has a built in adjustable proportioning valve.




                      Last edited by freetard; April 9, 2014, 03:20 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by freetard View Post
                        Yeah it had a holley electric pump originally and late last summer we added the return line. But vapor lock persisted. With the new setup we also have less fuel line after the regulator, so less time for fuel to sit in the engine bay. The pump is from areomotive But I don't think they make it any more, it's nice because you can index the in and the out separate from each other

                        The fuel pump pushing fuel up against a regulator can cause heat too.
                        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

                        Resident Instigator

                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I'm not sure how I missed this thread. Lots of awesome going on here...lots of awesome.
                          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Very impressive! I love to see something unique built out of junkyard parts, creativity, and welding wire!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              looks like it works

                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnLLv5xTfVA

                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LinXn0QrIs

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X